Cheating

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Why do you think people cheat? On tests, on their lovers, on their business, on their taxes, etc.

Have you ever cheated on anything? If so, why?

Character is what you do when nobody is looking.

Why do you think people cheat? On tests, on their lovers, on their business, on their taxes, etc.

I have great respect for someone who is able to successfully cheat. It takes a lot of work and dedication to pull it off.

Because they think they won't get caught. It's only cheating if you get caught, right? In fact, they are just dishonest but most are in denial about their dishonesty. I'm known as being "honest to the point of brutality"... that's what my family say. It's both a good thing, and a bad... I can be incredibly tactless - but I do recognize it and, these days, when I am tactless, it is normally deliberate.

I have great respect for someone who is able to successfully cheat. It takes a lot of work and dedication to pull it off.
You're highly self-respecting then, "Doctor."

You're highly self-respecting then, "Doctor."

I'm not sure what you mean, friend.

I can't cheat on my wife. I'm too stupid. I'd get the names mixed up and both the girl friend and the wife would be pissed off at me. I'd be in the shits with both of them.

Probably the best lesson I learned about cheating came in second grade, from the teacher, natch. ;)

Question to class, "How many of you steal?" Of course no hands went up. My first thought was that someone had and I wondered, 'who?' She then went onto ask, "How many have used someone else's work to complete their own? You know, like homework or just borrowing an answer during a quiz or test?" Many hands went up, but not mine! LOL! Not because it hadn't crossed my mind, but I already knew I couldn't hear where the teacher was and would get caught.

She went onto explain that 'borrowing' work was stealing, even if the other person gave you permission. You are robbing yourself of actual learning. You are also robbing the teacher of knowing who really understands and if the answers were right, she's going to go onto the next lesson and maybe you don't understand because you didn't do the work.

After that I had no desire to cheat. As I got older and understood the other connotations, I was glad I'd learned the lesson young.

I've cheated in school a few times for sure. The only time I can remember clearly though is in Spanish when I peeled the label off my pop bottle before class then wrote the translations on the backside of the label then taped it back on. During the test, I drank until the pop got down far enough for me to see the inside of the back of the label through the bottle. I didnt' get caught, I didn't feel bad for getting a good grade on the test... but I was kind of a shithead back then.

I've never cheated on a girlfriend--that's the absolute shittiest kind of cheating there is. Never cheated on taxes either; I don't pay enough to worry about it. But if I was pulling in eight figures a year, I might think about moving some piles to the Cayman Islands. :eusa_whistle:

I cheated on a test in high school and got caught. I was afraid of getting a bad grade, as I was not prepared for the test. I felt about an inch tall afterwords.

I have never cheated on a lady/wife.
I think I cheated once in 3rd grade on a test...

Many now seem to think cheating is not wrong, only getting caught is wrong.

I did once in first grade on a math test. The teacher picked me to grade papers by comparing them to the answer key and I noticed I got one wrong so I changed it. :eek:

The next day the teacher discovered that the answer key was wrong on that one question and if I hadn't have cheated I would have made 100%. :redface:

A friend of mine teaches at a community college. He tells the students they have to succeed every time they cheat but he only has to catch them once and he will out them to his peers. He has very few challengers.

Every time I pet another dog, Boo and The Princess give me 'that' look.... Does that count?

Always seein' the best in folks. I like that about you, xotoxi.

I did once in first grade on a math test. The teacher picked me to grade papers by comparing them to the answer key and I noticed I got one wrong so I changed it. :eek:

The next day the teacher discovered that the answer key was wrong on that one question and if I hadn't have cheated I would have made 100%. :redface:

I think you learned a very valuable lesson early on there, Ravi. :)

The world measures people by grades and scores and compares people against each other all the time. Naturally everyone wants to succeed and be the best (most people secretly desire to be) and they think they need to cheat at times to accomplish this on test or other measurements. No one wants to be seen as dumb or an idiot. And it matters not if you are caught or not because you know yourself that you are being dishonest. People that cheat and always get away with it tend to cheat later on in life because they see an easy way out. It’s just like stealing. If they get away with it, they will continue to do it. People that get caught or almost get caught recognize the cost and don’t do it anymore.

Cheating on a partner is another matter entirely. Most times in a relationship the mad rush of adrenaline and emotional lust wear off after a time and hopefully you are left with a loving and fruitful friendship. I think that relationships that lose that friendship are prime breeding grounds for cheating. Without that togetherness the lure of someone else becomes too much for some people. They succumb to this lure, sometime only once, sometimes more and this destroys the trust in their relationship. It starts building a wall a brick at a time till the relationship is dead or some intervention cause it to be torn down.

Society is part of the problem for cheating and when I say society I mean that young people see people cheating in the movies, on TV and even in their own families and they think it is ok because everyone else is doing it. That is not so, but they get that idea. Yes people cheated back in the day too, but it was not as widespread as it is today.

Forum List

Back