Charter Vs. Public Schools

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Historically, education in the United States has been split between private schools, and traditional public schools. However, this dynamic changed in 1991 when Minnesota passed the first law establishing charter schools in the state. Since then, a majority of states have some kind of charter school system. But what exactly is a charter school?

Charter schools offer education ranging in grades K-12 without charge to students. Charter schools are funded with tax dollars, but are generally subject to fewer rules and regulations than traditional public schools, and they usually receive less public funds per pupil than public schools. Charter school students typically take the same state-required standardized tests as public school students.

Depending on state law, these schools can be started by parents, teachers, non-profit groups, corporations, or even government organizations. Charter schools may focus on specific skills and subjects like math or science, or may be aimed at students who require alternative learning methods -- such as teaching lessons that use visual or more hands-on approaches. But these entities just can't start one whenever they please. They must first obtain authorization from either the school district, city, or state -- depending on how the charter school laws are structured.

And the charter school model has achieved various levels of success. Over the past 25 years, the number of charter schools in the U.S. has skyrocketed, forcing more competition and faster improvement among existing public and private schools. As of 2016, there are almost 7,000 charter schools serving 3 million students. And since 2000, charter school enrollment has increased by 600 percent.

But as charter schools have become more popular, opposition has grown. Teachers unions and other public school activists argue that charter schools take money away from traditional public schools. However, it's unfair to hold minority parents and students hostage in underperforming public schools. Overall, charter schools have provided an entrepreneurial challenge to the status quo and delivered results that make it worth expanding this option for parents.

According to a 2015 Stanford study, not only do charter schools provide significantly higher levels of growth in math and reading for all students, but minority and low income students benefit disproportionally more.

Charter schools are becoming a bigger part of the U.S. education system every year -- and for millions of American families they offer a much-needed choice that's different than a one-size fits all public school.

Every other sector of the American economy has benefited from the ability to compete and improve -- why not Education?

I had my sons in Charter Schools for a good part of their K-12 education. We had a positive experience in general but you have to do your "homework". Each Charter school is very different and emphasizes different things in their curriculum. Some Charters such as Basis lead the nation in standardized test results. In general I think we need more of them. If you have high performing kids, you almost have to go private or charter IMO. Public schools teach down to the slowest kids which drives the smart kids crazy.

Charter Schools are Public Schools, as such, they're subject to nearly all the same crippling and tyrannical regulation. They also usually get a lot less funding than the non-charter public schools. The one advantage they have is private management.

Historically, education in the United States has been split between private schools, and traditional public schools. However, this dynamic changed in 1991 when Minnesota passed the first law establishing charter schools in the state. Since then, a majority of states have some kind of charter school system. But what exactly is a charter school?

Charter schools offer education ranging in grades K-12 without charge to students. Charter schools are funded with tax dollars, but are generally subject to fewer rules and regulations than traditional public schools, and they usually receive less public funds per pupil than public schools. Charter school students typically take the same state-required standardized tests as public school students.

Depending on state law, these schools can be started by parents, teachers, non-profit groups, corporations, or even government organizations. Charter schools may focus on specific skills and subjects like math or science, or may be aimed at students who require alternative learning methods -- such as teaching lessons that use visual or more hands-on approaches. But these entities just can't start one whenever they please. They must first obtain authorization from either the school district, city, or state -- depending on how the charter school laws are structured.

And the charter school model has achieved various levels of success. Over the past 25 years, the number of charter schools in the U.S. has skyrocketed, forcing more competition and faster improvement among existing public and private schools. As of 2016, there are almost 7,000 charter schools serving 3 million students. And since 2000, charter school enrollment has increased by 600 percent.

But as charter schools have become more popular, opposition has grown. Teachers unions and other public school activists argue that charter schools take money away from traditional public schools. However, it's unfair to hold minority parents and students hostage in underperforming public schools. Overall, charter schools have provided an entrepreneurial challenge to the status quo and delivered results that make it worth expanding this option for parents.

According to a 2015 Stanford study, not only do charter schools provide significantly higher levels of growth in math and reading for all students, but minority and low income students benefit disproportionally more.

Charter schools are becoming a bigger part of the U.S. education system every year -- and for millions of American families they offer a much-needed choice that's different than a one-size fits all public school.

Every other sector of the American economy has benefited from the ability to compete and improve -- why not Education?

Because education in America is controlled by far-leftists, and they hate and fear competition of any sort.

Charter Schools are Public Schools, as such, they're subject to nearly all the same crippling and tyrannical regulation. They also usually get a lot less funding than the non-charter public schools. The one advantage they have is private management.

They're also much more answerable to the parents, and very directly so.

Charter schools also makes the regular public schools much more answerable to the parents. But, the parents still are limited to two schools without much difference between them.

Charter schools also makes the regular public schools much more answerable to the parents. But, the parents still are limited to two schools without much difference between them.

Oh, there's a lot of difference between public and charter schools. If they accept public funds, they're required to meet certain testing standards, but they have a great deal of freedom in their curriculum and teaching methods, which is the reason behind charter schools in the first place. Also, there are some charter schools that don't take public funding, which allows them even more freedom.

Can I assume you're a proponent of school vouchers, then?

Yes, vouchers and tax credits. But, fascists want to keep control of context the education of our children, even if it means spending more money and getting poorer students.

Yes, vouchers and tax credits. But, fascists want to keep control of context the education of our children, even if it means spending more money and getting poorer students.

So shouldn't parents short circuit educational authority with a Citizen's National Recommended Reading List?

The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42796/42796-h/42796-h.htm

Life's Minor Collisions, by Frances Warner and Gertrude Warner
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37899/37899-h/37899-h.htm

Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/271/271-h/271-h.htm

The Petrol Engine, by Francis John Kean
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/55403/55403-h/55403-h.htm

psik

Can I assume you're a proponent of school vouchers, then?

They don't even understand the concept of discussing this topic in the context of what's best for the children, rather than what's good for the institution of public schools.

So shouldn't parents short circuit educational authority with a Citizen's National Recommended Reading List?

The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42796/42796-h/42796-h.htm

Life's Minor Collisions, by Frances Warner and Gertrude Warner
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37899/37899-h/37899-h.htm

Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/271/271-h/271-h.htm

The Petrol Engine, by Francis John Kean
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/55403/55403-h/55403-h.htm

psik

Sorry, but I'm not really understanding where you're going with this.

Sorry, but I'm not really understanding where you're going with this.

There are people all over the Internet Bitching & Moaning about the educational system. Various people have been complaining since the 60s. Plenty of talk and changes but what has improved?

My mother taught me to read by the time I was 4. But then she gave me no suggestions about WHAT TO READ. She sent me to a Catholic school and essentially said, "Do what the teacher tells you."

Fortunately I stumbled across science fiction in 4th grade. Isaac Asimov was tested by the Army as having an IQ of 160. No way do I believe any of the nuns came close.

If we could fix the schools it would still take more than a decade and that is a considerable percentage of a child's life. So more might be accomplished if parents had a great reading list than by expending energy trying to fix schools. Charter, vouchers or public is just useless debating.

Plus now we have computers and Project Gutenberg and Librivox. I have asked some teachers at a charter school about Project Gutenberg. Most never heard of it and one said she was not telling her students about it. The educational system is mostly about its own economic interests in my opinion.

psik

There are people all over the Internet Bitching & Moaning about the educational system. Various people have been complaining since the 60s. Plenty of talk and changes but what has improved?

The government still has an iron grip over public education, so nothing has improved.

Most Christian schools are pretty bad. They have shoe-string budgets and no scale of economy which means few well-educated and intelligent teachers and other things that money buys. Most Christians are pretty incompetent, anyway. Just look at their churches, their TV shows, their movies, their books - effeminate and kitschy. Christian schools try to copy public schools, just in a Christian-ish context. But, schools should be operated much differently.

But, in spite of the handicap, kids at Christian schools perform at least on par with public school students.

The government still has an iron grip over public education, so nothing has improved.

Most Christian schools are pretty bad. They have shoe-string budgets and no scale of economy which means few well-educated and intelligent teachers and other things that money buys. Most Christians are pretty incompetent, anyway. Just look at their churches, their TV shows, their movies, their books - effeminate and kitschy. Christian schools try to copy public schools, just in a Christian-ish context. But, schools should be operated much differently.

But, in spite of the handicap, kids at Christian schools perform at least on par with public school students.

That's because private schools don't have to accept every student who wishes to attend whereas public schools do. I've had plenty of students who would've been thrown out of a Christian school in 2 days flat (and have gotten most of them to succeed to varying degrees).

That's because private schools don't have to accept every student who wishes to attend whereas public schools do. I've had plenty of students who would've been thrown out of a Christian school in 2 days flat (and have gotten most of them to succeed to varying degrees).

Tell yourself whatever rationalizations you need, fascist, to oppose educational freedom. Conversely, private schools often get students are you struggling in public schools. Maybe public schools should be kicking more kids out (to alternative education)? Yeah, it's outside your small mind to consider that private schools might do better with much less because they can do other things to improve education, other than kicking out punks.

Tell yourself whatever rationalizations you need, fascist, to oppose educational freedom. Conversely, private schools often get students are you struggling in public schools. Maybe public schools should be kicking more kids out (to alternative education)? Yeah, it's outside your small mind to consider that private schools might do better with much less because they can do other things to improve education, other than kicking out punks.

I've been at both private and public schools. The "top" and "middle" of the road kids at public school are just as capable and well behaved as their private school peers. However when you crunch the numbers for both demographics, private schools don't deal with kids in gangs, getting arrested over the weekends, etc...and if they do they can simply dump those kids where? The public schools.

For the record I think most public school teachers agree that more students should be placed in alternative schools and don't like the one-size fits all goal of schools to push college/university almost exclusively.

It sounds like you have a problem with the actual system in place (which teachers have ZERO say in), and you really need to educate yourself on the topic at hand.

For the record I think most public school teachers agree that more students should be placed in alternative schools and don't like the one-size fits all goal of schools to push college/university almost exclusively.

For the record, most public school teachers support unions and politicians who don't like alternative schools.

Forum List

Back