Charlie Rangel wants draft reinstated.

Democrats should love that......mandatory military service.

I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the right wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.

Fail!

I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the left wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.

Score!

Why do we need a draft? There are people lined up for miles trying to get in, both officer and enlisted. The services can take their pick from the best of the best. Plus, we are in a drawdown. As usual, Rangel proves that he is a kook.

Better tell obumer why he is trying to start up his own army of ows. I can see why rangel is confused.

Anyone ever heard of the reserves?

BTW, my second child who is in college now, took two years of ROTC in high school. He learned respect and discipline which is a lot more than I can say for many of our youth today.

*He also learned how to shine his own shoes ;)

Like my son has said, he'd rather have someone fighting next to him that WANTS to be there and not someone forced to be.

FACT: Anyone, draftee or volunteer, who WANTS to get shot at is fucking CRAZY.

Nobody joins because they want to get shot at! That's stupid.....but if you join, and there's wars going on, you can be pretty sure that's going to happen. I wouldn't want someone next to me crying he/she doesn't want to be there when i'm being shot at! My son has had that experience when he's been to Iraq, and it's not a pretty sight when other soldiers are fighting for their lives and you have a weanie that needs babysitting!

Like my son has said, he'd rather have someone fighting next to him that WANTS to be there and not someone forced to be. My husband joined the Marines in 1970, went to Viet Nam and he said you knew who you could count on and who you couldn't. Anyone forced to do something they don't want to do is not going to do their job to the fullest. Unless a World War broke out and we HAD TO have more military, then no, they need to leave it alone!

I was thinking that if the OWS was first to be called, let's do it. But your son and husband have good points. You have changed my mind. Thanks for the post.

Well...MAYBE if it was the OWS being drafted then i might reconsider it too!! Lol! But i don't think ANY of them could handle it. Maybe they could be used for target practice?? :Boom2:

why does anyone give a shit what this guy has to say?
charlie-rangel-democrat-corruption-caribbean-29940311508_xlarge.jpeg

Rangel:

What do U think???
I agree with him. I think it's the best thing we could do for a number of reasons, first of which is it would have prevented Bush from lying us into invading Iraq and we would not have emulated Russia's debacle in Afghanistan, which is exactly what we're doing today.

Another reason is we would have an enormous reserve of trained soldiers in the civilian sector who could be called up and deployed in weeks instead of months (as was the case in WW-II) in the event of emergency.

Another very good reason is a conscript army is a Peoples' army, whereas an enlisted army is a mercenary army in service to its employer -- the government.

And anyone who believes a conscripted army is inferior to a volunteer army is disrespectfully ignoring the performance of our troops in WW-II.

Rangel is a true American hero..and these are the exact reasons for doing this.

The whole blackwater/halliburton privatization of our military during Afghanistan and Iraq was a travesty.

Rangel was born in Harlem in New York City, and had a somewhat troubled childhood. He earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, where he led a group of soldiers out of a deadly Chinese Army encirclement during the Battle of Kunu-ri in 1950. Rangel graduated from New York University in 1957, and St. John's University School of Law in 1960. He then worked as a private lawyer, Assistant U.S. Attorney, and legal counsel during the early-mid 1960s. He served two terms in the New York State Assembly, from 1967 to 1970, and then defeated long-time incumbent Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. in a primary challenge on his way to being elected to the House of Representatives.
Charles B. Rangel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do. He was one of those "troops" you guys bray on such much about supporting.

Like my son has said, he'd rather have someone fighting next to him that WANTS to be there and not someone forced to be. My husband joined the Marines in 1970, went to Viet Nam and he said you knew who you could count on and who you couldn't. Anyone forced to do something they don't want to do is not going to do their job to the fullest. Unless a World War broke out and we HAD TO have more military, then no, they need to leave it alone!
Anyone who would want to be involved in something like Vietnam, is seriously bent.

Luckily for me I got out of the Corps and completed my Reserve obligation before Vietnam got started. If I had gotten trapped into that debacle I would have done what was required of me but I would have been one pissed off trooper in spite of the fact that I'd enlisted.

I became a Vietnam protester and I can tell you for sure that were it not for the draft it is likely we would have stayed there as long as there were people stupid enough, or deluded enough, or hard-up enough for bonus money to enlist. The majority of those fighting in Vietnam were draftees and a significant percentage of the protesters were draft-eligible young men, their family members, and 'Nam vets, many of whom had been drafted but survived and were pissed off at having been put through it for no good reason. I have absolutely no doubt that because of Vietnam if the draft were still active Bush could not have gotten approval to invade Iraq and we would not be in Afghanistan today.

If you are skeptical about what I've said I suggest you read Ron Kovic's book, Born On The Fourth Of July. He tells it like it is with no Gung Ho bs. And if you don't wish to read the book, see the movie. It comes close.

I don't call my husband "seriously bent" for wanting to join the military. I'm sure once he was in VN he probably questioned himself why he did it a few times, but he got through it. If he hadn't joined he would have been drafted, and he's not one to run to another country to get out of serving. He hated that war too, but what's really sick is that a lot of you "protestors" took your hatred of the war out on the soldiers that went through that hell. I thank God my son doesn't have to go through the crap his dad went through. He's been to Iraq 3 times, and the majority of people thank him for his service...he doesn't get called "baby killer" and has never been spit on like his dad was! For anyone to treat any of our military this way is just ignorance.

Rangel was born in Harlem in New York City, and had a somewhat troubled childhood. He earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, where he led a group of soldiers out of a deadly Chinese Army encirclement during the Battle of Kunu-ri in 1950. Rangel graduated from New York University in 1957, and St. John's University School of Law in 1960. He then worked as a private lawyer, Assistant U.S. Attorney, and legal counsel during the early-mid 1960s. He served two terms in the New York State Assembly, from 1967 to 1970, and then defeated long-time incumbent Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. in a primary challenge on his way to being elected to the House of Representatives.

ANd I thank him for his service and salute his bravery while in the military.

However, his corruption while in office is of more concern to me now, and is why I have no real interest in anything he has to say.

However, his corruption while in office is of more concern to me now, and is why I have no real interest in anything he has to say.

What corruption?

He got snagged for making a mistake on his taxes.

You want real corruption? Look no further then Newt. That's what corruption looks like. Circa big lobby bucks.

What corruption?

You want real corruption? Look no further then Newt. That's what corruption looks like. Circa big lobby bucks.

you forgot this already?
Charles Rangel Censured for House Ethics Violations - ABC News
Veteran Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., today became the first U.S. House member in 27 years to be censured after a long trial that resulted in him being convicted on 11 counts of ethics violations.

The censure, the highest punishment short of expulsion, is reserved for serious offenses and requires the member in question to stand before his or her colleagues while a censure resolution is read.

An amendment reducing the punishment to reprimand prior to the final vote failed overwhelmingly.

Last month, the House ethics committee found Rangel guilty of 11 of 13 violations of House rules, including using official resources improperly to raise funds from businesses and foundations for a center at the City College of New York that's named after him.

He also was found guilty of not paying taxes for 17 years on a rental property he owns in the Dominican Republic, even as he chaired the committee in charge of writing tax laws.
Not paying taxes on property fo 17 years is not a 'mistake'.

Last edited:
Rangel:

What do U think???

It would certainly level the playing field between the "haves" and have nots"...

Not really.

the problem is, the military doesn't need or want everybody. Not even during wartime.

In World War II, there were 40 million men who were elibable for the draft. The military only took 16 million of them.

In Peacetime, the draft boards handed out exemptions left and right, and they'd probably do the same in any future draft.

Here's a better idea. Why not simply have national service, of which the military is one option. You can list your preferences, but the services get first pick as to who they want.

What corruption?

you forgot this already?
Charles Rangel Censured for House Ethics Violations - ABC News
Veteran Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., today became the first U.S. House member in 27 years to be censured after a long trial that resulted in him being convicted on 11 counts of ethics violations.

The censure, the highest punishment short of expulsion, is reserved for serious offenses and requires the member in question to stand before his or her colleagues while a censure resolution is read.

An amendment reducing the punishment to reprimand prior to the final vote failed overwhelmingly.

Last month, the House ethics committee found Rangel guilty of 11 of 13 violations of House rules, including using official resources improperly to raise funds from businesses and foundations for a center at the City College of New York that's named after him.

He also was found guilty of not paying taxes for 17 years on a rental property he owns in the Dominican Republic, even as he chaired the committee in charge of writing tax laws.
Not paying taxes on property fo 17 years is not a 'mistake'.

And?

He owns property is a foreign country. Tax laws are all over the place on shit like that. He gave his taxes for accountants to do. It's not like he was using his power to make money or shill for his own political career improperly, like Newt Gingrich.

He cleared up the problem with the IRS. And he took the rebuke. Otherwise he's got a pretty good record in Congress and has been instrumental in such causes as civil rights and has served his district very well.

Forum List

Back