Charlie Rangel wants draft reinstated.

I believe that every American Citizen should have a period of military training, and training in handling disasters. A three to six month period in which they would be trained in basic military conduct, basic weopons, teamwork, and physical training. Manditory for all that would be citizens of this nation. After that, those that would choose to serve in our military could volunteer. The rest would have training that could be recalled and used in any national emergency, natural or manmade.

I believe that every American Citizen should have a period of military training, and training in handling disasters. A three to six month period in which they would be trained in basic military conduct, basic weopons, teamwork, and physical training. Manditory for all that would be citizens of this nation. After that, those that would choose to serve in our military could volunteer. The rest would have training that could be recalled and used in any national emergency, natural or manmade.

No, we dont need freedom. Everyone should serve the State.

Freedom its overrated.

Freedom its overrated.

And what you said has to do with what?

Freedom its overrated.

And what you said has to do with what?

Manditory for all that would be citizens of this nation :D

I read an article some time back that said that almost every society has a "coming of age" period when boys become men but our present generations, and the author suggested something similar to what you have described to give our society one again. While I am loathe to give the government the power to conscript except in the event of some calamity, I think the idea has a great deal of merit to it. It's probably why you see so many thirtysomething males still living in their parents' basement and whatnot.

The old CCCs provided a good example of what training like that can do. Many of our noncoms in WW2 were ready for service from that training.

As for conscription in the case of national emergency, many states have that now. There are many states where in case of a forest fire, you can be conscripted to fight it. But the whole point is that a nation prepared has to have citizens that are prepared. Switzerland and Sweden are examples. Isreal is another.

Democrats should love that......mandatory military service.

I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the right wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.

I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the left wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.

Like my son has said, he'd rather have someone fighting next to him that WANTS to be there and not someone forced to be. My husband joined the Marines in 1970, went to Viet Nam and he said you knew who you could count on and who you couldn't. Anyone forced to do something they don't want to do is not going to do their job to the fullest. Unless a World War broke out and we HAD TO have more military, then no, they need to leave it alone!

I was thinking that if the OWS was first to be called, let's do it. But your son and husband have good points. You have changed my mind. Thanks for the post.

I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the right wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.
I've always said I think that's a great idea. The military was good for me. If the draft was reinstated, the left wing would be less willing to send young men and women off to war over a lie. They have no problem screwing over a bunch of poor people, but it would be something else if it were their own children. Pretty clear and hard to deny.
Old men have always been willing to send young men to fight wars, regardless of ideology. History teaches us that.

Old men have always been willing to send young men to fight wars, regardless of ideology. History teaches us that.
Yes, the young George Washington was "volunteered" for war by 'old men'.

Yes, the young George Washington was "volunteered" for war by 'old men'.
Yeah, because that somehow relates to what I said. :booze:

Like my son has said, he'd rather have someone fighting next to him that WANTS to be there and not someone forced to be. My husband joined the Marines in 1970, went to Viet Nam and he said you knew who you could count on and who you couldn't. Anyone forced to do something they don't want to do is not going to do their job to the fullest. Unless a World War broke out and we HAD TO have more military, then no, they need to leave it alone!
Anyone who would want to be involved in something like Vietnam, is seriously bent.

Luckily for me I got out of the Corps and completed my Reserve obligation before Vietnam got started. If I had gotten trapped into that debacle I would have done what was required of me but I would have been one pissed off trooper in spite of the fact that I'd enlisted.

I became a Vietnam protester and I can tell you for sure that were it not for the draft it is likely we would have stayed there as long as there were people stupid enough, or deluded enough, or hard-up enough for bonus money to enlist. The majority of those fighting in Vietnam were draftees and a significant percentage of the protesters were draft-eligible young men, their family members, and 'Nam vets, many of whom had been drafted but survived and were pissed off at having been put through it for no good reason. I have absolutely no doubt that because of Vietnam if the draft were still active Bush could not have gotten approval to invade Iraq and we would not be in Afghanistan today.

If you are skeptical about what I've said I suggest you read Ron Kovic's book, Born On The Fourth Of July. He tells it like it is with no Gung Ho bs. And if you don't wish to read the book, see the movie. It comes close.

Rangel:

What do U think???
I agree with him. I think it's the best thing we could do for a number of reasons, first of which is it would have prevented Bush from lying us into invading Iraq and we would not have emulated Russia's debacle in Afghanistan, which is exactly what we're doing today.

Another reason is we would have an enormous reserve of trained soldiers in the civilian sector who could be called up and deployed in weeks instead of months (as was the case in WW-II) in the event of emergency.

Another very good reason is a conscript army is a Peoples' army, whereas an enlisted army is a mercenary army in service to its employer -- the government.

And anyone who believes a conscripted army is inferior to a volunteer army is disrespectfully ignoring the performance of our troops in WW-II.

Rangel:

What do U think???

Sounds like a great idea.

Would put money in the pockets of a class of people that are woefully underemployed.
Some money but not a hell of a lot.

I wasn't drafted because I enlisted in '56. At that time I recall a Private E-1 was paid about $40 a month. A married man's family received a subsistence allotment which was not very much. So unless one remained in the military when the draft was active and attained rank it was not considered a job the way it is today. It was an obligation for an able-bodied young man to put in his time and get out after two years with a six year inactive reserve status.

Rangel:

What do U think???

Rangel always has wanted the draft reinstated--and even though he has been "censored" on the house floor for tax evasion you liberal keep reelecting him anyway.

There is no reason for a draft--and believe me--coming out of the Viet Nam war--it would in no way be welcomed.

For what enemy exactly?
If the U.S. had a sizeable military with a large reserve in the civilian population which could have been called up and deployed within three weeks we could have cut off the Japanese advance in the Pacific and significantly shortened that campaign. But we had a small military and the time it took us to draft and train cost us dearly.

Rangel:

What do U think???

Rangel always has wanted the draft reinstated--and even though he has been "censored" on the house floor for tax evasion you liberal keep reelecting him anyway.

There is no reason for a draft--and believe me--coming out of the Viet Nam war--it would in no way be welcomed.
And believe me that were it not for the draft we would not have gotten out of Vietnam when we did. Resentment of the draft is what fueled the protest movement.

And if the draft were active today we would not have invaded Iraq and we would not be in Afghanistan.

Forum List

Back