Charlie Rangel wants draft reinstated.

I would only fight if they wanted to come here and kill me or family, take my food and or trailer. The rest is being taken away in pieces by the government and wealthy. War has already been waged in this country. I am just waiting for it to be declared.

I don't call my husband "seriously bent" for wanting to join the military.
I apologize for not modifying my "bent" comment with consideration for those who enlisted for Vietnam when it was too soon to know what an unnecessary and unworthy fiasco that so-called "conflict" was.

I'm sure once he was in VN he probably questioned himself why he did it a few times, but he got through it. If he hadn't joined he would have been drafted, and he's not one to run to another country to get out of serving.
I'm sure that's true and it's too bad he got suckered into that lethal boondoggle.

He hated that war too, but what's really sick is that a lot of you "protestors" took your hatred of the war out on the soldiers that went through that hell. I thank God my son doesn't have to go through the crap his dad went through. He's been to Iraq 3 times, and the majority of people thank him for his service...he doesn't get called "baby killer" and has never been spit on like his dad was! For anyone to treat any of our military this way is just ignorance.
It is true that a percentage of protesters did indeed behave disrespectfully toward returning vets. That behavior began when the My Lai story was publicized along with several similar but less egregious reports of rape, murder and unnecessary destruction by GIs. But you should know such behavior was confined to a very small percentage of protesters. The only reason it seemed to be widespread and common is the media paid attention to it rather than to the relatively peaceful protesters, many of whom were themselves Korea and Vietnam veterans.

The vast majority of protesters were relatively ordinary people, including quite a few 'Nam veterans who wore their uniforms. And you should especially know the popular report of returning vets being spat upon is a myth. A lie. It never happened! And if you need to be convinced of that I suggest you order a copy of Jerry Lembcke's book, The Spitting Image, (available from Amazon) in which he methodically debunks that rampantly false rumor. If you don't wish to read an entire book you can read a brief synopsis here: Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors

Those who believe the spitting myth should know such an act would be considered an assault on a member of the Armed Forces. For that reason, when the myth became popular the FBI conducted an in-depth investigation, tracing the rumor back to its origins, and found it to be totally without factual basis.

It is believed the spitting myth began with the movie, First Blood, in which the Rambo character, who, armed with only a knife, had prevailed over a dozen sheriff's deputies armed with M-16s, sadly lamented that when he came home, "They spit on me." Utterly laughable.

So my question to any soldier returning home from Vietnam who was spat on by some "hairy hippie" is -- what did you do about it? I don't recall hearing or reading about any protesters having the shit kicked out of them at an airport demonstration. Do you?

I agree, and so would my husband, that Viet Nam was a shit war. Being a Marine, he was on the front lines, and i'm very proud of whatever he had to do to be able to come home to his family, since so many didn't.

I also believe there were mostly peaceful protestors....like any large group of people, you have your idiots too.

As far as the "spitting myth", he DID get spit on. Whether the story of others having this done to them are true or not, his story was true. That's all i can go by.

I do appreciate your feedback, we can agree to disagree :)

wrangel.jpg

I know it isn't a popular subject but I think they should reinstate the draft.

Other than Invasion, I won't support it. It's just another way for Democrats to control our lives. Charlie is just an angry old man. Don't buy into his bullshit.

You know he's a decorated Korean war vet, right?

I thank him for his service. But since then, his service has been far less honorable. He's the caricature of the slippery politician who's on the take.

He was so crooked that he was finally censured by the House of Representatives for violating 12 House rules, including living in four rent-controlled apartments, misrepresenting his property on tax forms, being a fat slob, and soliciting money (ok, I added the fat slob part :lol: ). He's dirty.

I thank him for his service. But since then, his service has been far less honorable. He's the caricature of the slippery politician who's on the take.

He was so crooked that he was finally censured by the House of Representatives for violating 12 House rules, including living in four rent-controlled apartments, misrepresenting his property on tax forms, being a fat slob, and soliciting money (ok, I added the fat slob part :lol: ). He's dirty.

Ah well if you think Rangel is "on the take" and "dirty"..then surely you won't be voting for Newt or Romney..

:badgrin:

Ah well if you think Rangel is "on the take" and "dirty"..then surely you won't be voting for Newt or Romney..

And admonished by the House...but to him? (And any Statist)? Badge of honor...among thieves.

In no way am I attempting to support Charlie Rangel.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of The T's post.

And admonished by the House...but to him? (And any Statist)? Badge of honor...among thieves.

Rangel is a victim of his environment. The DNC made him do it.

Forum List

Back