Change we can believe in??

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
THE PRESIDENTIAL candidate who promises to change Washington raced into Washington's arms right after the media crowned him as the presumptive Democratic nominee.

During a Thursday visit to the nation's Capitol, Barack Obama was fawned over by those he critiqued two days earlier: "Washington didn't give us much of a chance," he said during his North Carolina victory speech.

Clearly, that's no longer the case.

But, being hailed as a winner is different from being hailed as the change agent Obama pledges to become.

Obama changed the rhetoric and style of the 2008 contest and would make history if he becomes the first African-American president. A Democrat in the White House would change the dogma. But what else, besides the face of Washington, will he change?

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright called him out as a politician, a description that angered Obama as much as any other declaration by his former pastor because it exposed an unflattering truth. Obama held Wright close when it was politically advantageous and cut the controversial minister loose when it was politically advantageous.

The Obama campaign discouraged revotes in Michigan and Florida. It's running the clock when it comes to coming up with a solution about seating delegates from those states. Both states ignored party rules when they scheduled their primaries, leading the Democratic National Committee to strip their delegates. The Obama campaign did not rush to find a way to seat them and help Hillary Clinton add to her delegate count.

During the long primary season, Obama was occasionally asked to answer for actions that add up to very ordinary politics. One example is the flap over the North American Free Trade Agreement and an Obama representative's suggestion that what the candidate was saying on the campaign trail would not govern his actions as president.

He worked with lobbyists as an Illinois legislator and US senator, even as he distances himself from them as a presidential candidate. The Republican National Committee sent out a press release Thursday, noting that a former lobbyist, Antill E. Trotter, held a fund-raiser for Obama that night in Washington. Trotter specialized in telecommunications, transportation, and environmental issues from 2000-2004. The RNC release also contained reminders of an ABC News report that Obama introduced nine bills to make certain chemicals tax-exempt at the request of some corporate lobbyists; and a Boston Globe report about Obama's work with an insurance lobbyist to make healthcare legislation more acceptable to insurance companies.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...cles/2008/05/11/the_change_we_can_believe_in/

This is change??:cuckoo:

THE PRESIDENTIAL candidate who promises to change Washington raced into Washington's arms right after the media crowned him as the presumptive Democratic nominee.

During a Thursday visit to the nation's Capitol, Barack Obama was fawned over by those he critiqued two days earlier: "Washington didn't give us much of a chance," he said during his North Carolina victory speech.

But, being hailed as a winner is different from being hailed as the change agent Obama pledges to become.

Obama changed the rhetoric and style of the 2008 contest and would make history if he becomes the first African-American president. A Democrat in the White House would change the dogma. But what else, besides the face of Washington, will he change?

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright called him out as a politician, a description that angered Obama as much as any other declaration by his former pastor because it exposed an unflattering truth. Obama held Wright close when it was politically advantageous and cut the controversial minister loose when it was politically advantageous.

The Obama campaign discouraged revotes in Michigan and Florida. It's running the clock when it comes to coming up with a solution about seating delegates from those states. Both states ignored party rules when they scheduled their primaries, leading the Democratic National Committee to strip their delegates. The Obama campaign did not rush to find a way to seat them and help Hillary Clinton add to her delegate count.

During the long primary season, Obama was occasionally asked to answer for actions that add up to very ordinary politics. One example is the flap over the North American Free Trade Agreement and an Obama representative's suggestion that what the candidate was saying on the campaign trail would not govern his actions as president.

He worked with lobbyists as an Illinois legislator and US senator, even as he distances himself from them as a presidential candidate. The Republican National Committee sent out a press release Thursday, noting that a former lobbyist, Antill E. Trotter, held a fund-raiser for Obama that night in Washington. Trotter specialized in telecommunications, transportation, and environmental issues from 2000-2004. The RNC release also contained reminders of an ABC News report that Obama introduced nine bills to make certain chemicals tax-exempt at the request of some corporate lobbyists; and a Boston Globe report about Obama's work with an insurance lobbyist to make healthcare legislation more acceptable to insurance companies.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...cles/2008/05/11/the_change_we_can_believe_in/

I don't get the point of this post.

I don't get the point of this post.

Maybe this will help.

“I am in this race to tell the corporate lobbyists that their days of setting the agenda in Washington are over. I have done more than any other candidate in this race to take on lobbyists — and won. They have not funded my campaign, they will not run my White House, and they will not drown out the voices of the American people when I am president.”

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

Maybe this will help.

“I am in this race to tell the corporate lobbyists that their days of setting the agenda in Washington are over. I have done more than any other candidate in this race to take on lobbyists — and won. They have not funded my campaign, they will not run my White House, and they will not drown out the voices of the American people when I am president.”

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

That doesn't help TGS because he/she is to stupid to grasp the concept.

I doubt he has anything against talking to and working with lobbyists. I wouldn't think any politician would. Often, lobbyists know far more about the issues than any individual politician. They are not a bad thing in and of themselves. I think he (and this is me just guessing) has a problem with taking money from corporate interests, as does McCain, and being beholden to corporate lobbyists. He may have done this as well, I don't know. He is a politician.

"The Obama campaign discouraged revotes in Michigan and Florida."

oh seems the like the point of the post is pretty clear...

though disingenuous.

may be it was written by a politician?

lol or some with an ulterior motive?

or posted by someone with an agenda?

:rolleyes:

Saw a clip of a parody of Obama and his "change" message. They changed it to him talking about the wrinkled dollars you can not get the vending machines to take and he offered to ensure he had change for anyone that had that happen. Was pretty funny.

I love watching all the skits that come out on SNL during the presidential races. And the monologues on Jay Leno....

They can be pretty funny, I watched them when I had Fox.
Sadly, now I can only choose between local news and CNN. CNN's morning line up doesn't really excite me. I look to see if anything has changed overnight, then turn it to the local channel to see who's awake, who's hung over, and what the weather is doing around me...since nobody reports on the weather where I live. It's like we don't exist.

yeah, Allie, i have to admit i find fox in the morning more interesting than CNN, and MSNBC. They at least tend to actually be talking about significant events (ok not always) about what going on, and of course their slant on things usually cracks me up.

"The Obama campaign discouraged revotes in Michigan and Florida."

oh seems the like the point of the post is pretty clear...

though disingenuous.

may be it was written by a politician?

lol or some with an ulterior motive?

or posted by someone with an agenda?

:rolleyes:

Did you miss this part?

The Republican National Committee sent out a press release Thursday, noting that a former lobbyist, Antill E. Trotter, held a fund-raiser for Obama that night in Washington. Trotter specialized in telecommunications, transportation, and environmental issues from 2000-2004. The RNC release also contained reminders of an ABC News report that Obama introduced nine bills to make certain chemicals tax-exempt at the request of some corporate lobbyists; and a Boston Globe report about Obama's work with an insurance lobbyist to make healthcare legislation more acceptable to insurance companies.

— Barack Obama, Speech in Des Moines, IA, November 10, 2007

Of course I'm just picking on him....there is no change to Washington, when he needs campaign funds.:eusa_liar:

I got all excited there for a second. I thought this was going to be about changing the current candidates out with some real ones.

I got all excited there for a second. I thought this was going to be about changing the current candidates out with some real ones.

That's not happening, just more of the same. "I don't let corporate lobbyist fund my campaign" then having corporate lobbyist holding fundraisers for your campaign. How do politicians get by with this crap, lying to our faces? :eusa_think:

as opposed to change we can't believe in?>

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

100 years in iraq?

:eusa_doh:

Thanks for bringing that up doeton. More lying and misrepresenting the facts....

Asked at a New Hampshire campaign stop about possibly staying in Iraq 50 years, John McCain interrupted -- "Make it a hundred" -- then offered a precise analogy to what he envisioned: "We've been in Japan for 60 years. We've been in South Korea for 50 years or so." Lest anyone think he was talking about prolonged war-fighting rather than maintaining a presence in postwar Iraq, he explained: "That would be fine with me, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed."

Of course for the Obama camp truth isn't a strong suit.:eusa_liar:

Thanks for bringing that up doeton. More lying and misrepresenting the facts....

Asked at a New Hampshire campaign stop about possibly staying in Iraq 50 years, John McCain interrupted -- "Make it a hundred" -- then offered a precise analogy to what he envisioned: "We've been in Japan for 60 years. We've been in South Korea for 50 years or so." Lest anyone think he was talking about prolonged war-fighting rather than maintaining a presence in postwar Iraq, he explained: "That would be fine with me, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed."

Of course for the Obama camp truth isn't a strong suit.:eusa_liar:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/hoping_for_100_years.html

The link for the quote I just posted.

Forum List

Back