CEO says many of his remote workers didn't open their laptops for a month, and 'only the rarest of full-time caregivers' can be productive employees

That is silly. You have a job to do, you get the job done. Some days that takes 8 hours some days it takes 4 sometimes it means weekends, sometimes not. In the end it all evens out.

Remote employees should not be hourly, they should have a base salary to do a job. How long it takes them is all on them.

My brother is an architect, he has been working from home since COVID. He moved once they made them remote a hour north of the city they were in and has 10 acres now. He works, does stuff on the land, does more work....rinse and repeat. When his employer tried to make him come back to the office he said he would leave the firm, so they asked if they could ship his chair to him.

My BIL has been working from home for more than 20 years, he does the same basic thing.

Neither are hourly, both have a job and they do it.
I was an hourly employee. Many in our company didn't have the discipline when offered to work from home and were fired or brought back to the office. I had plenty of incentive, saving on gasoline and avoiding the drive in traffic was enough for me.

I was an hourly employee. Many in our company didn't have the discipline when offered to work from home and were fired or brought back to the office. I had plenty of incentive, saving on gasoline and avoiding the drive in traffic was enough for me.

I can see how it is bad thing for an hourly employee if they are expected to be "busy" for the whole 8 hours. It works much better for those on salary where the task is what matters and not the time spent in the seat.

I can see how it is bad thing for an hourly employee if they are expected to be "busy" for the whole 8 hours. It works much better for those on salary where the task is what matters and not the time spent in the seat.
Medical transcription. Continually editing and researching medical records. I enjoyed it. The psych reports were especially interesting.

Medical transcription. Continually editing and researching medical records. I enjoyed it. The psych reports were especially interesting.

That does sound interesting. I can see why it would be hourly as well.

That does sound interesting. I can see why it would be hourly as well.
Most transcription work was paid by the number of characters typed and no benefits. I did that for a while, but found a radiology clinic that paid hourly with sick days and medical benefits. These days it's all pretty much voice recognition with a machine doing the work. The field is dead.

Forum List

Back