CEO says many of his remote workers didn't open their laptops for a month, and 'only the rarest of full-time caregivers' can be productive employees

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
We've all seen news stories now about employees so upset that they are being forced to return to work. All of them always have the same claim about how much more productive they are working from home.

• Clearlink CEO James Clarke said remote workers "quietly quit" and didn't open laptops in a month, Vice reported.
  • He also seemed to suggest caregivers aren't as "productive" at work, per a video posted by Vice.
  • A representative didn't address the remarks, but said Clarke "could not be more excited" for the company.

• Clearlink CEO James Clarke said remote workers "quietly quit" and didn't open laptops in a month, Vice reported.
  • He also seemed to suggest caregivers aren't as "productive" at work, per a video posted by Vice.
  • A representative didn't address the remarks, but said Clarke "could not be more excited" for the company.
Clearlink's CEO James Clarke reportedly told employees that he believed many remote workers have "quietly quit" and become so brazen that dozens at his company "didn't even open" their laptops for a month.

You have to be disciplined. I have a desk at our office, but I've been mainly working from home for years and I've been fine. I agree that most people probably can't. There can be too many distractions. I've experienced it myself when calling a customer service number over the past couple of years and you'll hear someone's kid screaming or dog barking in the background.

I've worked at home for the better part of ten years now. Not everyone has the discipline to do it but it can be done.
By the time I started working from home regularly, my oldest had moved to another part of the country with his family and
my youngest went off to college. Having small kids at home while trying to work out of the house would have been a challenge
in my particular occupation.

I work a four-ten hour day week. I have to be in the office once a week, and work from my home three days a week, and often put in 8 hours of OT on Saturday (from home).

I don’t understand how these folks get away with this crap. We have assigned work. If things are building up in your queue, you get a call from our Supervisor. We have weekly department Teams calls, and you are expected to be available on Teams for your entire scheduled work day.

We've all seen news stories now about employees so upset that they are being forced to return to work. All of them always have the same claim about how much more productive they are working from home.

If this is true, then the fault lies with the supervisors and the company.

How can you not know that people have not worked for a month?

Do they not have assigned task?

Too many layers of middle management is my guess.

When my wife retired (she was still working remote) she told her manager a month before and had everything retirement related handled through the personnel office in the DC HQ.

She worked till noon on her last day, logged-off, boxed-up all the laptops and other .gov owned property, took it to her satellite office and turned it in to the guard there, got a receipt, and left.

Good-by FEMA and thanks for all the fish.

At least three weeks passed and she got a call from her old district supervisor wondering why she had not logged-on!

Come to find out the supervisor she informed of her retirement got sick and was on extended medical leave and never relayed the info to her replacement. As far as they knew she was still employed.....Crazy right?

He probably was using the situation to test out what he could expect from at least a percentage of his employees. Going forward, his employees that remained remote workers, would likely have their productivity monitored more closely.

He probably was using the situation to test out what he could expect from at least a percentage of his employees. Going forward, his employees that remained remote workers, would likely have their productivity monitored more closely.

Still a shitty set up and a shitty boss if people went that long without working.

It doesn't belong to the employee bum that simply collected a check and dind't do their job? Why do dembots always look for someone else to blame for their failures as human beings?

showing up is the first thing they were suppose to do. When they aren’t even logging on to the computer they failed

That they did.

And then the company failed by letting them fail for more than a month.

I work in the remote environment and have multiple people on my team under me and I can assure you I would know in less than a day if they were not doing their job.

That they did.

And then the company failed by letting them fail for more than a month.

I work in the remote environment and have multiple people on my team under me and I can assure you I would know in less than a day if they were not doing their job.
What company failed? How do you know thehy didn't can them?

Yes, you have to be disciplined to work from home. Too many distractions and excuses to do something else. I would get dressed as if going to the office and take regularly scheduled coffee breaks. You have to.

Yes, you have to be disciplined to work from home. Too many distractions and excuses to do something else. I would get dressed as if going to the office and take regularly scheduled coffee breaks. You have to.

That is silly. You have a job to do, you get the job done. Some days that takes 8 hours some days it takes 4 sometimes it means weekends, sometimes not. In the end it all evens out.

Remote employees should not be hourly, they should have a base salary to do a job. How long it takes them is all on them.

My brother is an architect, he has been working from home since COVID. He moved once they made them remote a hour north of the city they were in and has 10 acres now. He works, does stuff on the land, does more work....rinse and repeat. When his employer tried to make him come back to the office he said he would leave the firm, so they asked if they could ship his chair to him.

My BIL has been working from home for more than 20 years, he does the same basic thing.

Neither are hourly, both have a job and they do it.

Forum List

Back