CBO: Stimulus saved between 5 to 25 million jobs

A group called Resources For the Future, billing itself as “a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that conducts independent research – rooted primarily in economics and other social sciences – on environmental, energy, natural resource and environmental health issues,” recently released a study confirming what everyone already knew: President Obama’s “Cash for Clunkers” program was among his many expensive failures:

Cash For Clunkers: The Rosetta Stone of Obamanomics Failure - HUMAN EVENTS

Success.....!!!!

The Treasury Department forecast Monday that the budget deficit for fiscal 2012 will come in at $996 billion, the first time President Obama has presided over an annual deficit of less than $1 trillion.

The budget deficit in fiscal 2011 and 2010 was $1.3 trillion, while the Obama stimulus law pushed the deficit up to $1.4 trillion in fiscal 2009.

The Treasury statement is the first since the congressional supercommittee failed to come up with any deficit reduction and disbanded on Nov. 21. Because of that failure, $1.2 trillion in automatic cuts are to take place over the next decade.

That is not nearly enough to stop the exponential growth of the deficit, which is expected to balloon at a more rapid pace later in the decade due in mainly to the retirement of the baby boomers. The retirements will decrease income tax revenue and increase Medicare costs.

Yearly deficit falls below $1 trillion for the first time under Obama - The Hill's On The Money

Oh, but look...it's still going to crap out in the years to come.

So sad.....

Let's cut some spending....

Why ?????

The credit card insn't maxed out.

Don't play stupid with me. I never stated "government does nothing". I stated government CREATES nothing.
Government does not create WEALTH. There is a difference between 'money'( currency) and wealth.

Nothing except roads, schools, satellites, and the US Armed Forces? Why are all the things the government creates "nothing"? Is it because they're created by government?

There's a difference between money and wealth. Roads, schools, courthouses etc. are wealth. corporate profits are money.

That is stupid. It is wasteful and it is a ripoff to taxpayers. Why they simply cannot stockpile the material and save the fuel for the next big winter is a mystery.

If county road crew is wasting money, it's up to county commissioners (or whoever is in charge in your county) to put a stop to it. That's their job. That's what you elect them to do. Do you think wastefulness doesn't happen at AIG? Or Goldman Sachs? Or AT&T?

Public education wastes tons of money. I think school funding should be for education only. All sports and activity programs should be funded by the users. SO if your kid plays a school sport, let his/her parents pay for participation. Same applies to other activities as well. The taxpayers should not be funding these things as they are not education. Many school districts are in fact going to pay for play.

So you say. It's been a while since I was in HS, but I don't remember a ton of money going to waste. In fact, things were pretty Spartan. Old, battered, worn down. Maybe a lot of money was going to waste paying teachers salaries. But I doubt it. They sure didn't seem to be living high on the hog. Mostly they seemed to be ordinary middle class taxpayers struggling to get by. But maybe things were different at your HS. Or maybe you should visit your local public school and see how things really are.

As far as making kids pay to play sports, seems like a bad idea to me. I don't know that it was this way at my HS - I was kind of a dork - but my impression is a lot of kids from bad homes learn some discipline, learn teamwork, and get some satisfaction and even success and sometimes scholarships from playing HS sports. Punishing those kids for being from bad homes - which, after all, is not their fault - seems pointlessly cruel to me. In fact, it seems penny-wise and pound foolish. The cost of an after-school sports program is negligible compared to locking kids up.

Why Obama's Stimulus Failed: A Case Study of Silver Spring, Maryland - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

According to proponents, an effective stimulus program must put idle resources back to work. A particularly bad way to go about this is to give money to big government contractors to do more of what they're already doing.

Yet that's what happened in downtown Silver Spring, where $138 million dollars in stimulus grants and contracts went to 46 organizations. Just three firms took home a majority of the money. These three firms—Synergy Enterprises, Senior Service America, and Social & Scientific Systems—were major government contractors before the stimulus was signed. In fact, these firms received a combined $71 million in stimulus funds. Over that same period, they got $702 million in other government contracts, according to USASpending.gov.

So the stimulus money was like icing on the cake. Take Palladian Partners, a communications firm in Silver Spring that's received $97.5 million dollars in government contracts over the past 12 years. The National Insitutes of Health (NIH), which is Palladian's biggest client, tacked $363,760 stimulus dollars on to an existing contract, and then followed it with two more awards totaling $431,333. Palladian was to spend the money collecting and disseminating information about how the NIH was spending stimulus money.

Anyone who knows what it is like to go after federal money knows why this is the case.

How can the left be so stupid ?

Don't play stupid with me. I never stated "government does nothing". I stated government CREATES nothing.
Government does not create WEALTH. There is a difference between 'money'( currency) and wealth.

Nothing except roads, schools, satellites, and the US Armed Forces? Why are all the things the government creates "nothing"? Is it because they're created by government?

There's a difference between money and wealth. Roads, schools, courthouses etc. are wealth. corporate profits are money.

That is stupid. It is wasteful and it is a ripoff to taxpayers. Why they simply cannot stockpile the material and save the fuel for the next big winter is a mystery.

If county road crew is wasting money, it's up to county commissioners (or whoever is in charge in your county) to put a stop to it. That's their job. That's what you elect them to do. Do you think wastefulness doesn't happen at AIG? Or Goldman Sachs? Or AT&T?

Public education wastes tons of money. I think school funding should be for education only. All sports and activity programs should be funded by the users. SO if your kid plays a school sport, let his/her parents pay for participation. Same applies to other activities as well. The taxpayers should not be funding these things as they are not education. Many school districts are in fact going to pay for play.

So you say. It's been a while since I was in HS, but I don't remember a ton of money going to waste. In fact, things were pretty Spartan. Old, battered, worn down. Maybe a lot of money was going to waste paying teachers salaries. But I doubt it. They sure didn't seem to be living high on the hog. Mostly they seemed to be ordinary middle class taxpayers struggling to get by. But maybe things were different at your HS. Or maybe you should visit your local public school and see how things really are.

As far as making kids pay to play sports, seems like a bad idea to me. I don't know that it was this way at my HS - I was kind of a dork - but my impression is a lot of kids from bad homes learn some discipline, learn teamwork, and get some satisfaction and even success and sometimes scholarships from playing HS sports. Punishing those kids for being from bad homes - which, after all, is not their fault - seems pointlessly cruel to me. In fact, it seems penny-wise and pound foolish. The cost of an after-school sports program is negligible compared to locking kids up.
You're just making excuses for taxation which you view as a means to even things up.
Genius, if a private sector company mispends it's assets, the stock holders take out their frustration by selling their shares are demanding the leadership's heads on a silver platter.
It has no bearing on me unless I buy or hold stock in that company. Now, you will think you have a point. Bailouts. Ya know what? Should have let every one of those firms fail or go bankrupt. So please, don't bother.
Schools and activities....Please, these public schools are spending tons of money on extra-curricular activities. New fields are Field Turf...Over one million dollars a piece. A proposal was floated to save taxpayer money on new schools by not having football stadiums at each school but have several schools share facilities. This was rejected by the school board because they feared schools without their own stadiums would be stigmatized. Imagine that. If I were in charge, it would have been "suck it up and deal with it."
Oh...Not "so I say"...Facts.
"Maybe you should"....Don't tell me what to do. My son just graduated from High School. What are the chances you think I've been there a time or two?
While I stipulate the participation sports may help some kids from broken homes or those who live in crime ridden areas a way out, there needs to be a line drawn between the best interests of the kids and the extent to which the taxpayers are forced to go in order to support what amounts to social engineering. Only in the US do we find EVERY sport supported by public schools. IN Canada, sports are the responsibility of private entities and municipalities. Kids pay to play.
I reject the notion of "Sports or jail". That's a bunch of crap.

The stimulus didn't do squat except to show us just how inept our POTUS is.

Maybe in that regard it was worth it. Let's hope it does not cost us another five trillion to see it would be a mistake not to give him the garbage truck ride back to Chicago in early 2013.

the2bstimulus2band2bjobs.jpg

gdp_recov.png

dow_jones_industrial_average_during_the_obama_administration.png

With the possible exception of Truman, no other American president since has had higher disapproval ratings at the same point in their term........

Presidential Job Approval Center

That Includes Carter

:eek:

And Nixon!

You would think that America would be more grateful for being "rescued" from another great depression. :badgrin::badgrin:

Maybe this is our way of saying we don't buy it.

Washington (CNN) -- The gridlock and partisanship that threatens to ruin Christmas in Washington could be an election year gift for President Barack Obama's campaign.

A growing number of voters , 50% compared to 44% in March, trust Obama to solve the nation's problems while the percentage of those with faith in congressional Republicans is slipping, according to a CNN/ORC International Poll.

CNN Poll: President's approval nearing 50%

For the Obama team, the poll numbers seem to validate the president's fall and winter strategy: Intone the jobs message like a mantra while squaring off against a do-nothing Congress and congressional Republicans in particular.

What's behind Obama's rising poll numbers? - CNN.com

At the present time, President Obama is getting a free pass as the GOP gears up for the primary in Iowa. As the field narrows and they get back to pointing out what loser he is, his numbers are going to tank....again.

I find it funny that a "climb" to the point that half the voters (and who knows what the poll looks like....his approval ratings are still way low) to where half the elctorate trusts you is considered good is only telling of just how low his administration has come.

He's a one-termer.

Washington (CNN) -- The gridlock and partisanship that threatens to ruin Christmas in Washington could be an election year gift for President Barack Obama's campaign.

A growing number of voters , 50% compared to 44% in March, trust Obama to solve the nation's problems while the percentage of those with faith in congressional Republicans is slipping, according to a CNN/ORC International Poll.

For the Obama team, the poll numbers seem to validate the president's fall and winter strategy: Intone the jobs message like a mantra while squaring off against a do-nothing Congress and congressional Republicans in particular.

His "fall and winter strategy"?....
Gee, I thought the president served 4 years in office?
This guy has never stood down from campaign mode.
Obama has spent his entire regime blaming others for his policies. "I inherited".
What a wimp.

What's behind CNN's poll numbers? Easy...CNN management' interest in Obama remaining president for another term.

The funny thing is that President Obama is losing his base because he did not do enough.

That is hilarious (is that a pun :lol:) ?

With the possible exception of Truman, no other American president since has had higher disapproval ratings at the same point in their term........

That Includes Carter

And Nixon!

You would think that America would be more grateful for being "rescued" from another great depression. :badgrin::badgrin:

Well, it is our way of saying something.

IMHO, it is our way of saying that the Federal Government and all its branches, have failed US once too often, and continue to appear to be nothing but a part of the problem.

That Includes Carter

And Nixon!

Well, it is our way of saying something.

IMHO, it is our way of saying that the Federal Government and all its branches, have failed US once too often, and continue to appear to be nothing but a part of the problem.

the2bstimulus2band2bjobs.jpg

gdp_recov.png

dow_jones_industrial_average_during_the_obama_administration.png

21 months of private sector job growth.
GDP has been growing since 2009.
The stock market has doubled since 2009.
Americans net worth is up $9 trillion dollars since 2009.
Americans paid off $1 trillion dollars of personal debt in the last few years.
Auto sales were up 13.9% in November.
Pending home sales were up 10% in October.
Retail sales were up 16% over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Unemployment is down to 8.6%
The deficit problem has been solved with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in Dec. of 2012 and the automatic spending cuts that kick in in Jan. of 2013.

The train is leaving the station...

Unemployment is still at 8.6 % even though the number is way understated. Somehow the left sees that as a victory.

They just revised GDP for the summer down...again. If this economy were growing any slower it would be in reverse.

President Obama's approval numbers have CLIMBED to 46% meaning he is one of the worst liked presidents in modern history at this point in his term.

The economy would have done much better on its own.

There have been no spending cuts since he showed up and his list of major broken promises is long and storied.

And lets talk about our out of sight debt.

The stock market is not even close to what it was at its highest level. It has doubled after being cut to less than 40% of it's original value. And the left sees that as something great. Even though it has always recovered. :lol: :lol:

The stimulus is a failure, one of many.

The train is going over a cliff.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back