Cause: The Fight Against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Hey there everyone, how are you?

Some of you know me, some of you don't, and some of you find me annoying. :lol:

However you may feel about me though, I will hope you take the time to check this group out:

Causes on Facebook | The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military

This is my own group or cause that I started on facebook over a year ago now. It has 11,014 members and the goal of the cause has always been constant. The Fight Against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military is an important one and one that is ignored largely in the media outside of a sound byte. I am hoping for the day that our men and women who serve in the Military can seek the help they need without consequences or worry about the costs.

Take a look at some of the links in the group, they are very informative. You don't even have to join and this is not a solicitation for donations though you can if you want. Any donations for the group go to Wounded Warriors Project which I personally think is a excellent group.

Thank you for your time,

Rob

P.S: I would like to thank Gunny and those in charge to allow me to post this. I would also like to say that you are free to ask any questions, however I ask that any partisan politics be kept out. Thanks.

I know a few soldiers who could benefit from this.

Thanks Rob for posting this, I will become involved, it's a good cause!

I know a few soldiers who could benefit from this.

Thanks Rob for posting this, I will become involved, it's a good cause!

Thank you very much Echo. The more help the better. The reason this group has grown so much is the extensive recruiting by many members. It's definitely a group effort and I'm glad to see my idea that grew out of a "hopefully this helps" whim has come to the level it has.

CAN BETA BLOCKERS PREVENT PTSD? A FIRST LOOK

Patients who received a short course of propranolol in the wake of a traumatic event were less likely than placebo recipients to have a physiological response when thinking about their trauma, according to findings from a recent pilot study. Although the rate of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) per se did not significantly differ between the two study groups, the findings do suggest that further exploration of preventive pharmacology for PTSD is warranted.

Can Beta Blockers Prevent PTSD? A First Look

Patients who received a short course of propranolol in the wake of a traumatic event were less likely than placebo recipients to have a physiological response when thinking about their trauma, according to findings from a recent pilot study. Although the rate of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) per se did not significantly differ between the two study groups, the findings do suggest that further exploration of preventive pharmacology for PTSD is warranted.

Interesting and thanks for posting that Eots. I have never heard about that and it's no surprise. That was written in March of 2002 it seems. Wonder why I haven't heard anything about it since.

Interesting and thanks for posting that Eots. I have never heard about that and it's no surprise. That was written in March of 2002 it seems. Wonder why I haven't heard anything about it since.

It probably wasn't strongly supported by follow up. I don't really think that putting the entire military on prophylactic hypertension medication is the key to addressing PTSD. Offering counseling services and psych consults is.

It probably wasn't strongly supported by follow up. I don't really think that putting the entire military on prophylactic hypertension medication is the key to addressing PTSD. Offering counseling services and psych consults is.

That is what I figured. One of the key things here is to make so they can receive counseling services and psych consults without punishment. That and the VA not classifying people with PTSD as having "personality disorders."

That is what I figured. One of the key things here is to make so they can receive counseling services and psych consults without punishment. That and the VA not classifying people with PTSD as having "personality disorders."

I won't act like I know as much about this issue as you do, but I was under the impression that the military was trying to address PTSD in a matter that would not stigmatize the soldier who needs help.

I know Gates has been involved with it.

In the past, a soldier being on SSRIs or benzodiazapines was an automatic red flag that kept them out of combat.

Now (as I read in Time a year ago or so), if the military were to adhere to that policy, they wouldn't have nearly enough trigger pullers.

I won't act like I know as much about this issue as you do, but I was under the impression that the military was trying to address PTSD in a matter that would not stigmatize the soldier who needs help.

In the past, a soldier being on SSRIs or benzodiazapines was an automatic red flag that kept them out of combat.

Now (as I read in Time a year ago or so), if the military were to adhere to that policy, they wouldn't have nearly enough trigger pullers.

Yes and No about them trying to address the issue. If you follow the link to my group and look at some of the links you'll see what I mean. As for the Military not having nearly enough trigger pullers that would be true. Over 20% of the soldiers coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq are returning with PTSD.

sorry here is a more recent article..I believe the research is slowed due to pharmaceutical interest wanting to maintain their SSRI market..this is a very generic drug used as a blood pressure medication..but has some interesting additional quality's...it has a calming effect that feels natural without the slightest feeling of being medicated or sedated or in anyway impaired and are used by marksmen,,musicians ,speeches, students writing test..with a noted positive effect

Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin | Autumn 2008 | The Memory Issue | Perish the Thought

Last edited:

Yes and No about them trying to address the issue. If you follow the link to my group and look at some of the links you'll see what I mean. As for the Military not having nearly enough trigger pullers that would be true. Over 20% of the soldiers coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq are returning with PTSD.

I forgot the %, but an high number of combat troops are on SSRIs or benzos.

sorry here is a more recent article..I believe the research is slowed due to pharmaceutical interest wanting to maintain their SSRI market..this is a very generic drug used as a blood pressure medication..but has some interesting additional quality's...it has a calming effect that feels natural without the slightest feeling of being medicated or sedated or in anyway impaired and are used by marksmen,,musicians ,speeches, students writing test..with a noted positive effect

Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin | Autumn 2008 | The Memory Issue | Perish the Thought

Please.

Beta blockers have adverse effects just as any other drug. No matter what you put into your body, it's risk/reward.

Furthermore, what is the point in prophylactically treating every soldier with a beta blocker (which is what you'd have to do here) when the issue is better addressed by identifying those in need and getting them the help they need from professionals.

As it stands, you'd rather put 80% of the soldiers who don't have PTSD (per the above statistic) on unnecessary medications as opposed to trying to selectively treat the 20%, simply because you don't like psychiatry.

Please.

Beta blockers have adverse effects just as any other drug. No matter what you put into your body, it's risk/reward.

Furthermore, what is the point in prophylactically treating every soldier with a beta blocker (which is what you'd have to do here) when the issue is better addressed by identifying those in need and getting them the help they need from professionals.

As it stands, you'd rather put 80% of the soldiers who don't have PTSD (per the above statistic) on unnecessary medications as opposed to trying to selectively treat the 20%, simply because you don't like psychiatry.

the negative side effects of SSRIs and neuroleptic drugs are far greater than beta blockers
and the treatment is short term and could still be selective..you make far to many assumptions

I am not sure what is going on with this right now, but the original study was of 18 individuals, which is too small of a sample size to draw any definitive conclusions from.

If this does bear out, it would be extremely promising for people who have singular events that lead to PTSD. I don't think it would be feasible for combat stress. There would be no way to utilize it without using it prophylactically. For example, soldiers take doxycycline prophylactically for maleria. They don't wait until they are bitten by a mosquito to start it.

I could see real problem with making otherwise healthy soldiers permanently hypotensive in the combat zone. Especially at altitude in places like Afghanistan where it's hard enough to get enough oxygen to your tissues (especially as soldiers are acclimating).

the negative side effects of SSRIs and neuroleptic drugs are far greater than beta blockers
and the treatment is short term and could still be selective..you make far to many assumptions

What do you consider a neuroleptic drug?

The "treatment" is only suggested to attenuate memories of stressful events. It doesn't treat PTSD or "cure" it.

There is no feasible way it could be selective. Combat stress is generally the result of multiple, recurrent events.

SSRIs have their adverse effects as well. Every drug does. Again, risk/reward. They are certainly not so dangerous that they are shunned by the medical community.

What do you consider a neuroleptic drug?

The "treatment" is only suggested to attenuate memories of stressful events. It doesn't treat PTSD or "cure" it.

There is no feasible way it could be selective. Combat stress is generally the result of multiple, recurrent events.

SSRIs have their adverse effects as well. Every drug does. Again, risk/reward. They are certainly not so dangerous that they are shunned by the medical community.

drugs like zyprexa are more and more frequently prescribed along with SSRIs especially in cases SSRIs don't report improvement or worsen symptoms..I think there is potential as treatment as well as prevention of PTSD with beta blockers that needs to be further researched

drugs like zyprexa are more and more frequently prescribed along with SSRIs especially in cases SSRIs don't report improvement or worsen symptoms.

The only FDA indications for olanzapine are for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. If it's being prescribed for PTSD, depression, or anxiety, then it is off label and the prescriber does so at their own risk. I don't know many Drs. who are wild about going "off label".

Again, just what do you consider a "neuroleptic drug"? Valproic Acid? Diazepam? Carbamazepine? Phenytoin? What?

I think there is potential as treatment as well as prevention of PTSD with beta blockers that needs to be further researched

I agree. I also think that the utility of using B-blockers in the combat zone is limited at best.

Combat generally involves activities where you need your blood pressure (and adrenaline rush, which the B blocker seeks to inhibit).

i love this guy he is a total freak but he knows what he is talking about

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGECqzEHI1Q]YouTube - Propranolol[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM01_KZjWHw&feature=PlayList&p=4AB725872B264F46&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=85]YouTube - Fox News - Antipsychotics and Children[/ame]

Forum List

Back