Cause: The Fight Against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military

Discussion in 'Military' started by Modbert, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Hey there everyone, how are you?

Some of you know me, some of you don't, and some of you find me annoying. :lol:

However you may feel about me though, I will hope you take the time to check this group out:

Causes on Facebook | The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military

This is my own group or cause that I started on facebook over a year ago now. It has 11,014 members and the goal of the cause has always been constant. The Fight Against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military is an important one and one that is ignored largely in the media outside of a sound byte. I am hoping for the day that our men and women who serve in the Military can seek the help they need without consequences or worry about the costs.

Take a look at some of the links in the group, they are very informative. You don't even have to join and this is not a solicitation for donations though you can if you want. Any donations for the group go to Wounded Warriors Project which I personally think is a excellent group.

Thank you for your time,

Rob

P.S: I would like to thank Gunny and those in charge to allow me to post this. I would also like to say that you are free to ask any questions, however I ask that any partisan politics be kept out. Thanks.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I know a few soldiers who could benefit from this.

Thanks Rob for posting this, I will become involved, it's a good cause!

3. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Thank you very much Echo. The more help the better. The reason this group has grown so much is the extensive recruiting by many members. It's definitely a group effort and I'm glad to see my idea that grew out of a "hopefully this helps" whim has come to the level it has.

4. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    CAN BETA BLOCKERS PREVENT PTSD? A FIRST LOOK

Patients who received a short course of propranolol in the wake of a traumatic event were less likely than placebo recipients to have a physiological response when thinking about their trauma, according to findings from a recent pilot study. Although the rate of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) per se did not significantly differ between the two study groups, the findings do suggest that further exploration of preventive pharmacology for PTSD is warranted.

Can Beta Blockers Prevent PTSD? A First Look

5. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Interesting and thanks for posting that Eots. I have never heard about that and it's no surprise. That was written in March of 2002 it seems. Wonder why I haven't heard anything about it since.

6. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    It probably wasn't strongly supported by follow up. I don't really think that putting the entire military on prophylactic hypertension medication is the key to addressing PTSD. Offering counseling services and psych consults is.

7. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    That is what I figured. One of the key things here is to make so they can receive counseling services and psych consults without punishment. That and the VA not classifying people with PTSD as having "personality disorders."

8. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I won't act like I know as much about this issue as you do, but I was under the impression that the military was trying to address PTSD in a matter that would not stigmatize the soldier who needs help.

I know Gates has been involved with it.

In the past, a soldier being on SSRIs or benzodiazapines was an automatic red flag that kept them out of combat.

Now (as I read in Time a year ago or so), if the military were to adhere to that policy, they wouldn't have nearly enough trigger pullers.

9. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Yes and No about them trying to address the issue. If you follow the link to my group and look at some of the links you'll see what I mean. As for the Military not having nearly enough trigger pullers that would be true. Over 20% of the soldiers coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq are returning with PTSD.

10. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    sorry here is a more recent article..I believe the research is slowed due to pharmaceutical interest wanting to maintain their SSRI market..this is a very generic drug used as a blood pressure medication..but has some interesting additional quality's...it has a calming effect that feels natural without the slightest feeling of being medicated or sedated or in anyway impaired and are used by marksmen,,musicians ,speeches, students writing test..with a noted positive effect

Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin | Autumn 2008 | The Memory Issue | Perish the Thought

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009