Catholicism is truly the best religion going

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manifold, Sep 3, 2009.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    Why?

Two Reasons

1) Let's face it, the purpose of religions is to keep the masses in line. Regardless of whether there is or isn't a God, I'd wager that the way God is depicted by any and all religions is a steaming pile of hooey anyway. I know there are many that would argue that we don't need religions for this purpose anymore, yadda yadda yadda, but I think those people are short-sighted fools. But that's neither here nor there and a debate for another time. The fact is religions do exist, and are still a tool for control. And Catholicism IMO does this in the most reasonable and effective manner relative to other major religions.

2) Catholicism is allowed to change over time. Sure, they were a little late with the whole pedophile thing, but over the centuries they've managed by and large to stay current with the needs of the present. Catholicism now even supports the theory of evolution. Even though the Pope officially denounces abortion, I've been to at least 1,000 masses in my life and have never once heard a priest mention it. They no longer consider birth control a sin when used by a married couple. I've also never heard a priest say that non-Catholics are going to hell. The precise reason why many people condemn Catholicism is what IMO makes it the best religion: They don't stick relentlessly to outdated dogma. But at the same time they're quite careful and deliberate about the pace of change.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I'll leave you to your opinion. ;)

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Ebb and flow. For every Blessed John XXIII and Vatican II you get reactionaries ready to drag it all back again.

4. Jay Canuck

Jay Canuck by Crom you'll pay!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +212
    [SIZE=+1]Pope Immune from Sex Charges?[/SIZE]
    Bush knew what Benny wanted for Xmas - September 20, 2005
    Link Excerpt:
    ROME — The U.S. Justice Department has told a Texas court that a lawsuit accusing Pope Benedict XVI of conspiring to cover up the sexual molestation of three boys by a seminarian should be dismissed because the pontiff enjoys immunity as head of state of the Holy See. Assistant U.S. Attorney General Peter Keisler said in Monday's filing that allowing the lawsuit to proceed would be "incompatible with the United States' foreign policy interests." A 1994 Texas lawsuit against Pope John Paul II was dismissed after the U.S. government filed a similar motion.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I like to ride in a car with Catholics and look at that plastic Jesus on the dashboard. Too bad it couldn't be a bobblehead figure!:lol:

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Catholic girls are sexy!

7. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537

agreed

catholic high school had its benefits....roll those skirts a little higher ladies!

8. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    This is their private schools uniforms!

[​IMG]

9. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    that skirts too low

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Hasn't the vatican pretty much fought any effort to update catholocism, from letting priests fuck (not kids, wives) to female preists?

I have to disagree. the premise of a pope this side of the age of enlightenment dooms Catholicism to fail. In fact, isn't it specifically catholics who are losing membership more than any other denomination these days?