Catholic Theologians talk about doing away with Limbo

Why should a religion necessarily have fixed concepts?

To me, this is a characteristic of the big 3 Mideast religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam).

Buddhism and Hinduism provide plenty of flexibility and a wide choice of directions and paths to various spiritual experiences. Yoga, for example, simply means "joining," and refers to any of many paths (including the physical yoga practices called "yoga" in the West) to enlightenment, to joining the individual's soul with the universal soul (or God, if you want to call it that). Many Hindus have a guru, a personal adviser who helps them find a good path. Zen Buddhism provides an extreme example of a faith practically without doctrine.

Fixed beliefs and ritualized practices are no doubt very comforting to their believers, but they do raise problems.

Besides, the Catholic church has changed its beliefs many times. Celibacy, for example, was invented around 1200 if I remember right, in order to discourage priests' heirs from inheriting church property. It's not found in the Bible (to my knowledge--I'm no expert--someone correct me if wrong) or in early church writing.

Mariner.

PS I certainly hope they don't do away with Limbo since, as a Hindu, I was counting on it in case Catholicism turned out to be the one true religion after all. I promise, in return, that Hindus won't bar Catholics from the opportunity to escape the wheel of birth and death.

Mariner said:

To me, this is a characteristic of the big 3 Mideast religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam).

Buddhism and Hinduism provide plenty of flexibility and a wide choice of directions and paths to various spiritual experiences. Yoga, for example, simply means "joining," and refers to any of many paths (including the physical yoga practices called "yoga" in the West) to enlightenment, to joining the individual's soul with the universal soul (or God, if you want to call it that). Many Hindus have a guru, a personal adviser who helps them find a good path. Zen Buddhism provides an extreme example of a faith practically without doctrine.

Fixed beliefs and ritualized practices are no doubt very comforting to their believers, but they do raise problems.

Besides, the Catholic church has changed its beliefs many times. Celibacy, for example, was invented around 1200 if I remember right, in order to discourage priests' heirs from inheriting church property. It's not found in the Bible (to my knowledge--I'm no expert--someone correct me if wrong) or in early church writing.

Mariner.

PS I certainly hope they don't do away with Limbo since, as a Hindu, I was counting on it in case Catholicism turned out to be the one true religion after all. I promise, in return, that Hindus won't bar Catholics from the opportunity to escape the wheel of birth and death.

In any case, you do not fall under the Christian umbrella. Lord knows, the Catholic Church has had its problems, but being a 'catchall' isn't one of them.

Mariner said:

If you actually believe in something 100% then how can you change it. If you start changing things that means you don't really believe it. At that point you're just customizing your religion to make it mean whatever you want it to mean.

This is an excellent point and the reason why I don't practice Catholicism. Why would they change such a thing? Then they wonder why there are a bunch of pedophile priests. I don't trust anyone who says that they are celibate. It's in our nature to have sexual desires. There is no way any person can possibly overcome them.

Celibacy actually is in the Bible. It's in the letters from Paul to the Corinthians I believe. It doesn't specifically say that priests should be celibate, but that anyone who can be celibate should. But he stresses it isn't for everyone. Or most, probably.

Forum List

Back