Catholic Theologians talk about doing away with Limbo

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051130/od_nm/pope_limbo_dc

Does anyone else have any more information on this? i think its rather interesting. Regardless of your view whether the doctrine is correct or not.

I have no problem with people believing what they want or changing what they believe. I just think its rather interesting that with the information provided there seems to be a lack of any time of input from God whether this change should go about. You would think that for a religion that has claims to be God's Church that there wouldnt be a committee of theologians coming up with the recommendations of what to do, but that the Pope or someone would go to God to find out straight from the source.

Also I think this is kind of interesting because the doctrine was one of the main reasons Martin Luther put up his 95 Thesis.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm not sure but I'll continue to do the limbo no matter what anyone says----ok-y'all go back to being serious.

3. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Nothing good can come of this. Eliminating certain major teachings because they make some people feel uncomfortable is bad road to start going down.

4. Big-P

Big-P Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1

Or look at it this way. Either Limbo exists or it doesn't exist. If you believe it exists you can't just arbitrarily with it out of existence. There should be one universal rule that all religions must follow: Never change any of your beliefs. Your doctrine is written in stone. If people think that your doctrine is silly or retrograde in nature then they should abandon the religion. This way you ensure that people don't just believe in stuff that is made up as it goes along.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I suppose this would depend on whether the concept of limbo originated with God or with a committee of theologians 2,000 years ago. Is there any mention of limbo in the bible?

6. Big-P

Big-P Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then you have to wonder if the bible really has anything to do with a supreme being. Chances are it doesn't. I think the Jews just made up God so everytime they went and committed genocide on people they could just say that God told them to do it.

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Try this, some interesting info on Purgatory although the word is not mentioned in the bible. http://fisheaters.com//purgatory.html

8. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I like it.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I always thought of Purgatory as being that place that cleanses people who wait to actually be in God's sight or presence. Essentially what the church has always said on this is just that... when most people die they are in somewhat of a state of grace but not yet perfect enough to be with God. I guess the church would rather people relate the word Purgatory than Limbo as Limbo sounds as if God has abandoned his, which is never the case.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I like the logic. I think religious people just like to argue about the interpretation of the doctrines. Sorta like the supreme court judges--some prefer to interpret the bible stictly and others see it as more symbolic in nature. Ultimately people just have to decide if they think they are right or not and people hate to make srious commitments like that. Especially when we're talking about eternity here. I mean you could pick the wrong doctrine and -BAM--you've been kicked down a notch. :halo: