Cash for clunkers

Cash for Clunkers is a con game used to take away choices from people with the guise of getting paid for it. Most "clunkers" can be taken to a shop and fixed up really nice for far less than buying a new car, even a frame is valuable to those who restore cars.

Or, even worse in my opinion, takes business away from those people who get paid to restore cars (AKA Part of Pilgrim's Job)

Even so I still like that its not manadatory as other proposed things are planned on being

Cash for Clunkers clearly wasn't a success. How could anyone consider a foolish program that ran out of funding a success? Not to mention how it subverts market forces.

At any rate, the Clunkers program isn't going anywhere.

House Votes to Extend 'Clunkers' Program - WSJ.com

It was a success in popularity

It was a failure in Planning and funding.

Sounds typical for a govt created program ;)

Yes, it was a success in popularity. It was also a success in manipulating the market by convincing people it's a good idea to buy a brand new car they might not be able to afford rather than keeping their used car, and distorting prices in the used car market.

God you people are dumb. With tight credit being what it is, if someone couldn't qualify for the loan on the balance, they wouldn't have gotten the fucking car in the first place.

Cash for Clunkers is a con game used to take away choices from people with the guise of getting paid for it. Most "clunkers" can be taken to a shop and fixed up really nice for far less than buying a new car, even a frame is valuable to those who restore cars.
How does it take away choices? No one is being forced to participate. :cuckoo:

Did you not read the last sentence or are you just blindly endorsing your saviors ideals for the hell of it. Put up an old car in the local want ads and at least one offer will be made for parts, go national and you will get the whole thing sold quite quickly.

Then there is the logic part of it, what other real reason would they have for pushing this program?
I don't have a savior and it certainly wouldn't be Obama if I did. I see you are well down the lane of conspiracy theories ONCE again, I see. :lol:

My son's car is a clunker and no way he'd make $2,000 off of it let alone $4,500. Sadly, his car doesn't qualify.

:lol:

wah! wah! wah!

You guys are priceless.

Apparently this "Cash for Clunkers" program isn't priceless, however. Going to be $3 billion after the Senate votes for it, but how much more money is going to need to be sunk into this after that? Hard to say. We should have cut our losses after $1 billion.

It's money already in the stimulus package, not new money. Just like the "bailout" money for GM wasn't new money; it came out of the existing TARP funds, which some of you dummies still don't get.

It's even worse than that.

The dealers taking the trade-in are required to crush them, rather than fixing them up or liquidating them for parts.

If ya kinda-sorta didn't know better, it looks like those geniuses in the District of Crooks are trying to inflate a used car bubble.

Last edited:
It was a success in popularity

It was a failure in Planning and funding.

Sounds typical for a govt created program ;)

Yes, it was a success in popularity. It was also a success in manipulating the market by convincing people it's a good idea to buy a brand new car they might not be able to afford rather than keeping their used car, and distorting prices in the used car market.

God you people are dumb. With tight credit being what it is, if someone couldn't qualify for the loan on the balance, they wouldn't have gotten the fucking car in the first place.

Just because you can qualify for a loan doesn't mean you can afford it.

cash for clunkers is just another "handout" for the car companies,, at the taxpayer's expense.

:lol:

wah! wah! wah!

You guys are priceless.

Apparently this "Cash for Clunkers" program isn't priceless, however. Going to be $3 billion after the Senate votes for it, but how much more money is going to need to be sunk into this after that? Hard to say. We should have cut our losses after $1 billion.

It's money already in the stimulus package, not new money. Just like the "bailout" money for GM wasn't new money; it came out of the existing TARP funds, which some of you dummies still don't get.

Yes, and how much of that stolen money are they going to have to steal to continue funding this black hole and eventually have to steal more money directly from the taxpayers?

Or, even worse in my opinion, takes business away from those people who get paid to restore cars (AKA Part of Pilgrim's Job)

Even so I still like that its not manadatory as other proposed things are planned on being

Give it time. :eusa_whistle:

I have a question.....these clunkers that are traded in, do they destroy them or resell them...I mean these could be some classics in the rough, right?

My bad, it's been addressed

Last edited:

The dealers taking the trade-in are required to crush them, rather than fixing them up or liquidating them for parts.

If ya kinda-sorta didn't know better, it looks like those geniuses in the District of Crooks are trying to inflate a used car bubble.
:lol::lol::lol: Dood, you should really read up on things before you go spouting off on the subject. Or is this just part of the normal disinformation we get from your ilk?

Area salvage yards stand to make lots of money by buying the used cars from the dealerships and then re-selling the car's usable parts.
Louie Perry helps run his family's salvage business Homer Auto Parts on North Detroit Avenue. "We remove all hazardous fluids and materials, take off the parts that are of value to us for resale: we'll make money on the aluminum rims, catalytic converters," Mr. Perry said.
What happens to ''Cash for Clunkers'' cars? : News : WNWO NBC24

Oh please. C'mon, Kit, I gave you more credit for smarts than that. "Clunkers" are usually all rusted out too, requiring major replacement parts like exhaust systems. Who in their right mind is going to spend hundreds on a vehicle worth less than the repair? The best to hope for is to take it to a scrap dealer who will weigh the vehicle and pay cash according to that, usually in the range of $100 to $300 if you're lucky. And that is exactly what dealerships will do with those heaps they take in. If it weren't for this program, they would refuse to take some in trade because the investment isn't worth it to get them prettied up for resale.

Oh please. C'mon, Kit, I gave you more credit for smarts than that. "Clunkers" are usually all rusted out too, requiring major replacement parts like exhaust systems. Who in their right mind is going to spend hundreds on a vehicle worth less than the repair? The best to hope for is to take it to a scrap dealer who will weigh the vehicle and pay cash according to that, usually in the range of $100 to $300 if you're lucky. And that is exactly what dealerships will do with those heaps they take in. If it weren't for this program, they would refuse to take some in trade because the investment isn't worth it to get them prettied up for resale.

You appear to be comprehension challenged, of course it's easy to ignore half a post to make yourself seem better, as I already mentioned the possibility of selling the parts.

Well that's where we differ then, I think. I don't accept the overall economic plan. However, I still don't see how even in regards to that this could be seen as a success, considering they have to dip into the stimulus money to dump into this black hole of a program.
I don't think it's a black hole of a program. Maybe the economy is just recovering faster than expected...and people are taking advantage of a rather large incentive to buy a new car.

The economy is not recovering, and people are taking advantage of this incentive. However, I'm guessing that most of them can't afford a new car even with this incentive. It's clearly a black hole of a program considering it wasted $1 billion in a week.

How long did it take to get where we are? How fast do you think it should recover? Do you "black hole" naysayers EVER pay attention to anything on a daily basis?

CNNMoney.com Market Report - Jul. 31, 2009

"There's a constant bid in the market, you can't knock it down," said Joseph Saluzzi, co-head of equity trading at Themis Trading.

In the last three weeks, the major gauges have all gained around 12% as investors have breathed a sigh of relief that the pace of the economic slowdown has eased and corporate profits are closer to recovering.

GDP: The pace of economic decline slowed in the second quarter, in the clearest indicator yet that the recession is winding down.

GDP, the broadest measure of U.S. economic activity, shrank at a 1% annual rate in the April-through-June period. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com thought GDP would shrink at a faster 1.5% rate.

For which they pocket the cash paid by the scrap metal dealer.

Just because you can qualify for a loan doesn't mean you can afford it.

Yeah, right. Tried to get a car loan lately with a rating below 700? Good luck with that. The whole purpose of scoring credit is so that a new lender can SEE if you can afford what you're buying. Duh... When the street sharks were out hawking houses, they didn't bother with insignificant stuff like checking credit scores of course.

Yes, and how much of that stolen money are they going to have to steal to continue funding this black hole and eventually have to steal more money directly from the taxpayers?

To respond to that I would feel like I had to reach all the way back to 'splane it to my 10-year old nephew (who understood, btw), so why bother...

Last edited:
All the liberal Obamabots really need to log on to "cars.gov" and find out first hand about the program.....go...right now....

You appear to be comprehension challenged, of course it's easy to ignore half a post to make yourself seem better, as I already mentioned the possibility of selling the parts.

Not in the quoted material, but if I missed it, then I apologize.

Not in the quoted material, but if I missed it, then I apologize.

It was implied when I mentioned that even (if all you have is) a frame is valuable to people who restore old cars. ;)

Forum List

Back