Carry laws

I am torn on this one. The right to own is not threatened by laws controlling who can carry a loaded weapon outside the home. The laws I do oppose are those that criminalize the mere possession of an unloaded firearm outside the home.

Supreme Court passes on gun rights case - First Read

I'm not sure how far the law went. I recall in California the weapon had to be unloaded, in a locked compartment and the ammo stored seperately while being transported. Obviously, you can't outlaw unloaded guns outside the home since you have to at least get them from the gun store to the home.

I'm torn as well. I consider it the right of any state to make these decisions for themselves, so long as it is not an outright ban. But I don't see the benefit of the law. Of course, I don't live in New York so it really doesn't impact me.

The 2nd Amendment covers Open Carry in all 50 States, everywhere.

Concealed Carry is what needs the permit. See the little Jedi Mind Trick they've been playing on you?

Here, an Armed Man asks another Armed Man WHY he's Armed:
(FFWD to 9:00)

Last edited by a moderator:
You may say:
Oh that's just some redneck State! You'd NEVER get away with that in California!
Someone wanna' explain WHY this guy WASN'T Arrested if Open Carry is Illegal?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lONBoO3m0tQ"]Open Carry Rifle and Pistol, Santa Ana P.D. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZT704gj7s]Long Gun Open Carry Event at Pacific Beach - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJTrgupxqM]AR-15 California Open Carry Ontario PD 10-13-11 1300hrs.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

I am torn on this one. The right to own is not threatened by laws controlling who can carry a loaded weapon outside the home. The laws I do oppose are those that criminalize the mere possession of an unloaded firearm outside the home.

The Second Amendment clearly says "keep and bear arms"

So if you tell me I can't carry a firearm you are violating the second amendment are you not?

So if you tell me I can't carry a firearm you are violating the second amendment are you not?

The Government has a compelling reason to limit places that loaded weapons can be carried. Without a permit.

The Government has a compelling reason to limit places that loaded weapons can be carried. Without a permit.

They may have a reason, but do they really have the right to infringe on our rights?

They may have a reason, but do they really have the right to infringe on our rights?

They do if they can show a compelling reason to curtail rights. They already do so in Government buildings and elsewhere. I agree an attempt to prevent carry everywhere would be unconstitutional. But limited areas are legal and Constitutional.

They do if they can show a compelling reason to curtail rights. They already do so in Government buildings and elsewhere. I agree an attempt to prevent carry everywhere would be unconstitutional. But limited areas are legal and Constitutional.

I understand they do. But I'm questioning under what authority do they have the right to infringe on our rights.

And the answer is, we allowed them to.

I understand they do. But I'm questioning under what authority do they have the right to infringe on our rights.

Exactly. We are a republic and that is how a republic works. If we don't like what they are doing, we can vote them out. Assuming enough of us don't like it.

Exactly. We are a republic and that is how a republic works. If we don't like what they are doing, we can vote them out. Assuming enough of us don't like it.

I'm doing my part to vote them idiots out. But it's hard to counter all the brainwashed people that believe guns are the problem.

I don't think so. The government has clearly demonstrated over and over that it cannot protect people and denying people the opportunity to protect themselves is a violation of more than one right.

I'm doing my part to vote them idiots out. But it's hard to counter all the brainwashed people that believe guns are the problem.

Someone can disagree with your opinion without being brainwashed. I don't see guns as a problem, but I also don't think any of the restrictions being proposed constitute some grave danger to our freedoms. I am seeing a lot of over reaction on both sides of the debate. So I don't vote based upon the candidates position on gun control, though I do vote based upon the candidates position on government interference in our lives.

Someone can disagree with your opinion without being brainwashed. I don't see guns as a problem, but I also don't think any of the restrictions being proposed constitute some grave danger to our freedoms. I am seeing a lot of over reaction on both sides of the debate. So I don't vote based upon the candidates position on gun control, though I do vote based upon the candidates position on government interference in our lives.

Those that disagree with the second amendment have been brainwashed. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. You are welcome to disagree.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

I'm not sure how far the law went. I recall in California the weapon had to be unloaded, in a locked compartment and the ammo stored seperately while being transported. Obviously, you can't outlaw unloaded guns outside the home since you have to at least get them from the gun store to the home.

I'm torn as well. I consider it the right of any state to make these decisions for themselves, so long as it is not an outright ban. But I don't see the benefit of the law. Of course, I don't live in New York so it really doesn't impact me.
This is how we are to possess/transport firearms in Illinois. We are the only state without a concealed carry law. (But we're "working" on it).

What good would an unloaded gun be?

Why even bother to carry one?

Transporting to/from the range or gunsmith or gun show, or wherever.

Funny story- some years ago my brother was returning home from the gun range. He had about a half dozen firearms (and ammo) properly stored in his vehicle. Got pulled over for speeding. "Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?"
"Yes I do". Soon there were a half-dozen state police cars surrounding his vehicle. After a brief chat and cursory look-see, he was sent on his merry way.

Those that disagree with the second amendment have been brainwashed. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. You are welcome to disagree.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. You have the right to be wrong. I could as easily say that you have been brainwashed because you think the 2nd amendment is unlimited, when it clearly is not.

What "shall not be infringed" means is that you have the right to keep and bear arms. It does not mean you have the right to any "arms" that strikes your fancy. You don't have the right to keep and bear a nuclear weapon, which falls under the definition of "arms". You don't have the right to keep a 500 pound bomb in your garage, 50 feet from where my children sleep. Your rights do not exist in a vacuum, they must co-exist with the rest of society.

Last edited:
This is how we are to possess/transport firearms in Illinois. We are the only state without a concealed carry law. (But we're "working" on it).

I certainly hope so. It is a major pain to pull over, unload and store my piece just to cross the state.

Forum List

Back