Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
What should I pick as a career?

I have an interest in medicine

I have general office and telephone skills

I have social deficits because of my aspergers syndrome

any suggestions?

X-Ray Tech

Only a two-year associates, pays well for the education, work in healthcare, and your size will aid in physically moving disabled patients.

Health care is pretty much the only game in town when it comes to hiring, for now.

Maybe something back office because of your condition.

A quickie two year degree could make you very employable.

I bet SDSU is hiring, even without a degree.

Stay away from medical coding and billing, Martin. That field is in great flux and already oversupplied.

Medical transcription might be a viable option (turning MDs dictation tapes into written text). I'd ask a computer person before committing though; I wonder how much longer humans will be needed to do this work.

There are also jobs in the after-care audit field, Martin. Medicare pays on a pay now, audit and claw back later plan. The state (and I think the feds) all have auditors who examine the records to see if billed care was medically necessary. There's some private insurance company demand for this as well, though I am not as sure how it works.

If you could be interested, I'm happy to try and get you with someone who could guide you better. Audit teams have medical professionals (MDs, rarely; RNs more often) on them, but many members are not medical license-holders.

Health care is pretty much the only game in town when it comes to hiring, for now.

I beg to differ. Computers and Networking are just as hot of jobs as medical...

Search4 - Top 10 Hottest Careers - 2010

Since people with Asperger's Syndrome have problems with reading other people's emotions and facial expressions, but seem to be above average in intelligence, I'd recommend to you some sort of technical job where you didn't have to deal with people contact. Computer repair possibly, IT or networking, programming. All excellent pay and in demand pard.

Last edited:

I beg to differ. Computers and Networking are just as hot of jobs as medical...

Search4 - Top 10 Hottest Careers - 2010

Since people with Asperger's Syndrome have problems with reading other people emotions and facial expressions, but seem to be above average in intelligence, I'd recommend to you some sort of technical job where you didn't have to deal with people contact. Computer repair possibly, IT or networking, programming. All excellent pay and in demand pard.

You could combine these fields. Hard to imagine a skill in greater demand that medical programming will be....everything from hospitals to private insurance companies, etc. will be very heavy consumers.

One last thought: what about actuarial science? These are the guys that create rate plans, etc. for insurance companies and review them for regulators. Basically they write models of what certain future events will look like, mathematically. You need a BS in math and you will have to sit for a series of ten exams to join the American Actuarial Society, but they make fabulous money and NO ONE ever expects an actuary to be a social butterfly.

Forum List

Back