Capitalistic greed is the main problem in the U.S.

Do you think the regulations are in place to protect the company or the consumer?

The regs need to protect the inventor AND the consumer. That's who I think US Patent Law ought to protect, but if one looks into the law there are hundreds of regulations and rules amended and repealed. There is no way to research who benefits and who loses; in the current case the answer is clear.
Now that the FDA requires pharmaceutical companies to fund their own testing process that takes years, they are out billions of dollars by the time the product hits the shelves. How do they make that up except to charge high prices? These companies are not charities and charities don't make life saving drugs.
The price increase coincides with company execs 600 plus percent pay raise, imagine that.
Whatever you say.

I'm really amused by the phony outrage of these politicians who are the very people who have allowed companies like Mylan to have a monopoly on drug manufacturing. Of course, the ignorant masses won't understand this and chalk this up as another alleged failure of capitalism.

Oh, and by the way, Heather Bresch is the daughter of West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat, because, you know, the Republicans are the party of corporate greed and the Democrats are all for the little guy :whip:

I'm really amused by the phony outrage of these politicians who are the very people who have allowed companies like Mylan to have a monopoly on drug manufacturing. Of course, the ignorant masses won't understand this and chalk this up as another alleged failure of capitalism.

Oh, and by the way, Heather Bresch is the daughter of West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat, because, you know, the Republicans are the party of corporate greed and the Democrats are all for the little guy :whip:

If I were you, I would not try to categorize Republicans like that or make greed out as necessarily a bad thing.

Democrats can buy into corporate greed also.

EpiPen can go to hell. My friend has a shellfish allergy that leads to an anaphylactic reaction... Her throat closes up. She can't afford to buy an EpiPen and her insurance doesn't cover it. Further more they expire after a year so she would have to drop $600 for a pen that expires and needs to get tossed after only a year. Instead she doesn't have one and takes a risk every time she eats out. In the mean time the EpiPen execs and laughing their way to the bank

Mylan executives gave themselves raises as they hiked EpiPen prices

The patent on the drug in an epi pen and the mechanism itself should have run out a long time ago. All the FDA has to do is promise fast track approval for anyone who wants to make an equivalent product, and the manufacturer's hold on the market would wither away.

Yes, the company is greedy, but government regulations that make it next to impossible to field an equal product shares part of the blame. It's what creates the bottleneck in the first place.

The Congress can act, why don't they (Oh yeah, they're on vacation again)?

How so? the FDA can simplify its rules for generic drug approval on its given authority. Why does congress need to get involved?

What would they do, set price controls, hold hearings?

Those are show solutions, FDA moves to simplify generic approval in this case and the AIDS drug case would produce tangible, real results.

I say we just go back to all preregulation since some of you people need to be reminded again as to why we have any at all.

It is always and will forever be a question of balance, and some of you are quite unbalanced.

Ah, good old argumentum ad absurdum, the first resort of the crappy debater.

Saying that the FDA is over-regulating is not the same as saying trash all regulations, and you know it, hack.

Do you think the regulations are in place to protect the company or the consumer?

Something made for one purpose can be used for something else. Look at that Shkreli mess, that because he bought the one maker of an old old drug, and because of the cost of getting a generic through the FDA, he was able to corner the market.

One does want to protect the public, but processes like the FDA drug approval process have gone beyond protecting people, and into the bureaucratic quagmire that comes with all processes that endure for too long.

The solution in both cases is to figure out a way to simplify (and thus cost reduce) the process of generic approvals in these cases, thus getting other manufacturers involved, and breaking the monopoly.
Agreed, regulations need to be improved and amended but not simply cut or corporations will run wild and the public will suffer

Who said about removing all regulation? Why does everyone just jump to that when someone complains about over-regulation?

The patent on the drug in an epi pen and the mechanism itself should have run out a long time ago. All the FDA has to do is promise fast track approval for anyone who wants to make an equivalent product, and the manufacturer's hold on the market would wither away.

Yes, the company is greedy, but government regulations that make it next to impossible to field an equal product shares part of the blame. It's what creates the bottleneck in the first place.

The problem with that is, if you don't have patents, no one will have any incentive to make the next Epi-pen.

Look, everyone, another battered housewife conservative making excuses for the 1%.

Not the point, and you know it. The same meddlers "going after companies" are the same meddlers that set up the system to ensure the problem.

But hey, ad hominem attacks from a lefty. Who'd a thunk?

Again, are you one of these people who blame rape victims for wearing short skirts?

The problem is not the government making sensible regulations to govern drug manufacturing.

It's an unethical corporation ripping people off.

Period.

Which you'll defend to the hilt because "Freedom" or something.

The problem with that is, if you don't have patents, no one will have any incentive to make the next Epi-pen.

Look, everyone, another battered housewife conservative making excuses for the 1%.

Who said anything about eliminating patents? The patents on these things probably ran out decades ago. What is stopping other companies from making generic equivalents, ah yes, run away rampant government regulation. But you are a fan of it, and would rather blame what, people for NOT making generic equivalents due to greed?

Moron.

Not the point, and you know it. The same meddlers "going after companies" are the same meddlers that set up the system to ensure the problem.

Again, are you one of these people who blame rape victims for wearing short skirts?

The problem is not the government making sensible regulations to govern drug manufacturing.

Period.

lol, sensible regulations. Just can't bring yourself to take the government dick out of your mouth, Right JoeBlow?

Period.

Spoken like a true meddler who's just sure he knows what's best for everyone else. You and your collectivist buddies are constantly upset with the results of the very policies you support and worse, you look to the very same statist fucks to fix the problem they cause in the first place.

It's mind boggling.

Sorry, but #1, you don't get to decide what a company charges for their product and #2, the price of drugs is directly related to the insane level of regulations imposed by the very people now bitching about the price of drugs. You're all out of your minds.

Oh, and your analogy is beyond stupid.

The price of the Epipen just went up 500%. It costs a dollar to make, and big pharma is charging $500.00 to save a child's life.

The cost of all drugs in the U.S. are ten times more than any other country.

Health insurance is high because of greed. Doctors and hospitals are some of the greediest.

And it's not just big pharma, it's big oil too. When oil was $140.00 a barrel, gas cost $4.00 a gallon. Now oil is three times less at $47.00 a barrel, and we still pay over $2,20 a gallon.

But the real big greed is the military industrial contractors. $600.00 for toilet seats.....$500.00 for coffee makers....and that's just the cheap stuff.

Greed is why we have a $17 trillion national debt.

Greed is why most crimes are committed. Most in prison are there because of greed.

Lawyers are greedy. NO money, you're guilty.

Politicians work less than six months a year for over $200,000.00 plus healthcare, paid vacations, free transportation, and full retirement after four years.

Remember all you 20, 30 & 40 somethings, you're gonna be old in the blink of an eye....and you're gonna pay through the wazoo. Promise.

How are doctors and hospitals greedy?

How is big oil greedy?

Spending more than we bring in is how debt occurs.

While I'm not a big fan of lawyers, I thought whether or not you committed a crime determined guilt.

As for career politicians, that goes totally against what the founding fathers intended.
The salary of the CEO that makes EpiPen went 671% when the price went up 500%.
Go ahead and try to defend greed some more.

We need to regulate the hell out of these companies and threaten them with nationalization if they don't comply. Libertarians and small government people can go stuff it.

The price of the Epipen just went up 500%. It costs a dollar to make, and big pharma is charging $500.00 to save a child's life.

Health insurance is high because of greed. Doctors and hospitals are some of the greediest.

And it's not just big pharma, it's big oil too. When oil was $140.00 a barrel, gas cost $4.00 a gallon. Now oil is three times less at $47.00 a barrel, and we still pay over $2,20 a gallon.

But the real big greed is the military industrial contractors. $600.00 for toilet seats.....$500.00 for coffee makers....and that's just the cheap stuff.

Greed is why most crimes are committed. Most in prison are there because of greed.

Politicians work less than six months a year for over $200,000.00 plus healthcare, paid vacations, free transportation, and full retirement after four years.

Remember all you 20, 30 & 40 somethings, you're gonna be old in the blink of an eye....and you're gonna pay through the wazoo. Promise.

How are doctors and hospitals greedy?

How is big oil greedy?

Spending more than we bring in is how debt occurs.

While I'm not a big fan of lawyers, I thought whether or not you committed a crime determined guilt.

As for career politicians, that goes totally against what the founding fathers intended.
The salary of the CEO that makes EpiPen went 671% when the price went up 500%.
Go ahead and try to defend greed some more.

Go ahead and defend how guilt is determined by anything other than evidence. Go ahead and defend how debt occurs if you spend less than you bring in. Go ahead and defend how greed is defined as someone not doing something the way you want it done.

You can't defend any of them.

We need to regulate the hell out of these companies and threaten them with nationalization if they don't comply. Libertarians and small government people can go stuff it.

Sounds like the typical Democrat mentality. You'll do it our way or else.

Sounds like the typical Democrat mentality. You'll do it our way or else.
But you will allow yourself and your family to get burned by the greed of these companies because it supports your conservative ideology

If I were you, I would not try to categorize Republicans like that or make greed out as necessarily a bad thing.

Democrats can buy into corporate greed also.

Umm yeah. That was my point....

OP votes for the very meddling politicians and bureaucrats that institute the every expanding regulatory and litigious monster that results drug prices likes this...and then bitches about those prices.

Oh the irony.

You're full of shit. Both sides of the aisle are going after companies which engage in such practices.
Are you one of those anti government fools who believe in the fantasy of free markets self regulating?

You need to study up on the logical fallacies. You offered a biased opinion, one which wasn't even original. It was an echo of right wing propaganda, and thus not an argument. My response is not an ad hominem, It didn't ignore your echo, it mocked it.

The regs need to protect the inventor AND the consumer. That's who I think US Patent Law ought to protect, but if one looks into the law there are hundreds of regulations and rules amended and repealed. There is no way to research who benefits and who loses; in the current case the answer is clear.
Now that the FDA requires pharmaceutical companies to fund their own testing process that takes years, they are out billions of dollars by the time the product hits the shelves. How do they make that up except to charge high prices? These companies are not charities and charities don't make life saving drugs.

Spoken like a true fascist, corporations are people too, but do they pay taxes as do you and I, not hardly.
I don't pay taxes either. I'm a truck driver who deducts per diam and I got 4 little tax credits at home. (3 boys, 1 girl ages 2-13) Sorry to undermine your argument.

Are you an O/O of a 18 wheeler semi tractor? My son drives for UPS, he is in the Teamsters Union and has great benefits and is home every night. He has a double major, Math and compurter tech, but both jobs he had before had no benefits, he was an independent contractor. He left, went to work for UPS and enjoys the work, no longer needs to pay for a gym membership and has no need to worry about job security.
No, I haven't taken that plunge. It's too much of a commitment and I'm trying to find something local so I don't have to be away from my family so much. Ideally I want to come off the road completely, but replacing the $50k my wife and 4 kids depend on isn't easy. Coming home every night requires living at a hub location and UPS doesn't have one here. Or Fedex. Still, I keep looking for something so I don't have to watch my kids grow up on skype.

Good luck, I hope you find something.

Greed is but one of the major drivers of capitalism and is good and held in check by competition...

Greed is the sole driver of crony capitalism, fed and nurtured by corrupt democrats....

Crony capitalism....

Forum List

Back