CDZ Can You Answer These Questions?

if you want peace , prepare for war . ------------- And here in the USA , at least in red flyover America it is pretty peaceful . I just want an immensely strong USA military so as to keep the Fureign rabble in line through fear and trepidation Robo . [its like carrying a big stick]

How'd the preparing for unending war work out for the Roman Empire?

The comparison is apt. Rome was ultimately bankrupted by the cost of maintaining the armies needed to conquer and hold most of the Mediterranean and Europe.
---------------------------------------------------------- nothing lasts forever so then i fall back to my final practical thinking . I say , oh well , just so it lasts for my and my kids lifetime DLady !!

if you want peace , prepare for war . ------------- And here in the USA , at least in red flyover America it is pretty peaceful . I just want an immensely strong USA military so as to keep the Fureign rabble in line through fear and trepidation Robo . [its like carrying a big stick]

The comparison is apt. Rome was ultimately bankrupted by the cost of maintaining the armies needed to conquer and hold most of the Mediterranean and Europe.
---------------------------------------------------------- nothing lasts forever so then i fall back to my final practical thinking . I say , oh well , just so it lasts for my and my kids lifetime DLady !!
------------------------------------------------------ personally , its my thinking that you lefty liberals deserve a falling down Western world and USA . I just hope that it doesn't completely 'fall down' in MY and my kids lifetime DLady .

Last edited:

Actually it wasn't. It was bankrupted first by its corrupt Senate membership, and then after the Empire was formed, incompetent and corrupt Emperors drove it into the ground. It was able to survive one or two bad ones, but three or four in a row taxed even that Empires ability to sustain itself. It wasn't the cost of the armies, it was the cost of maintaining the Emperor and all of his cronies and sycophants that drove her under.

Yes, mostly. The Emperor and the Senators held almost total control over the lands of the Empire, even though theoretically it was 'public land'; the 'Equestrian' class held close monopolies on every other business, from shipping to banking to trade. Not much left for 'everybody else'. not very different from what has been happening to the U.S. and other countries under neo-liberals and 'globalism'. Slavery killed off any incentive to innovate machinery or agricultural improvements for centuries, which is why we see the relative explosion of innovations and improvements in the mis-named 'Dark Ages' and beyond.

Agreed. And when Pompeii was rediscovered lo and behold it was the same dynastic families that were being elected over and over and over again. Hundreds of years of the same patricians running things so that they benefited. Kind of like how the new political class is trying to run things here.

Forum List

Back