Can we educate people to live a better life, or are humans simply incapable?

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014

"'You look in supermarket trollies - no wonder they’re overweight’, Tory MP urges kids to eat more vegetables"

"More should be done to educate people on healthy food choices in order to battle the "ticking time bomb" that is the obesity crisis, a Conservative MP has said.

Sir Robert Goodwill, who chairs the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee, made the comments as the committee published a report suggesting that food insecurity will result in 40 million people being obese by 2035."

I read this article and wondered whether it's even worth it. You could "educate" people till the cows come home, but the reality is most people will ignore whatever education they get and turn to a default program setting inside.

Can we educate people to live a better life​

No.

Because "better" is a subjective term and what constitutes a "better" life is purely within the mind of the individual.

Working on a beach body every day might be fun for some, torture for others. The appeal of sitting on the sofa every day and eating Funyuns is similarly appealing depending on the person.

People are capable but sugar in particular is an addictive killer.as are refined carbs which precede it. Then there is Fast Food, pop (soda) etc. Really, is anything worse for us than soda on a.reguoar basis? It should be age restrictive it is so destructive to the body over time. How many parents pick up a 24 of soda? It isn't even necessarily eating the best foods, but avoiding the worst.

"'You look in supermarket trollies - no wonder they’re overweight’, Tory MP urges kids to eat more vegetables"

"More should be done to educate people on healthy food choices in order to battle the "ticking time bomb" that is the obesity crisis, a Conservative MP has said.

Sir Robert Goodwill, who chairs the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee, made the comments as the committee published a report suggesting that food insecurity will result in 40 million people being obese by 2035."

I read this article and wondered whether it's even worth it. You could "educate" people till the cows come home, but the reality is most people will ignore whatever education they get and turn to a default program setting inside.
It's such a multi-faceted problem that involves individual choices, the food industry, mental health issues, economic status etc. I think the worst obesity problem is childhood obesity since it nearly guarantees health problems and a shortened and less happy life. Kids should never be fat, period. Educate parents on how bad it is to feed their junk food and sugar and how to prepare healthier food. It's not easy but it's cheaper than processed food and way better for kids.

It's such a multi-faceted problem that involves individual choices, the food industry, mental health issues, economic status etc. I think the worst obesity problem is childhood obesity since it nearly guarantees health problems and a shortened and less happy life. Kids should never be fat, period. Educate parents on how bad it is to feed their junk food and sugar and how to prepare healthier food. It's not easy but it's cheaper than processed food and way better for kids.
But, the question is, will parents even listen?

Kind of sucks you don't get to dictate to people how they live their lives, huh? I mean its not our fault that God decided to make rutabaga taste like a dirty sock and the devil makes pizza to taste yum yum.

The human condition(human nature) comes pre-set meaning humans do not have access to alter the programming no matter how diligently they may attempt to do so. Just the way it is.

Kind of sucks you don't get to dictate to people how they live their lives, huh? I mean its not our fault that God decided to make rutabaga taste like a dirty sock and the devil makes pizza to taste yum yum.

Would you care to talk about the topic?

A greedy , selfish and rather stupid species which has learned little in the last twelve thousand years approx.-- since the last clear out ( Great flood blah blah )

u care to talk about the topic?​

I believe that fundamentally addressed the topic.

The explicit question being, "Can we educate people to live like we want them?".

And the implicit question, " Or... will stronger measures be necessary ?".

Ever since Michelle Obama made healthy eating her "cause", people have been ballooning, especially Michelle. That leads me to believe that knowing what to eat isn't enough. Maybe more spiritual teaching which would result in greater self-discipline which would lead to some weight loss. At least for believers. Democrats may have a harder time.

Would you care to talk about the topic?

I did talk about "the topic". You don't get to decide what is "best" for people. You seem to think that eating "healthy food choices" is best. For some people, maximizing their calories for the limited money they have is "best". For others, buying the food they prefer is "best". For others, eating what is fastest and easiest to prepare is "best".

I did talk about "the topic". You don't get to decide what is "best" for people. You seem to think that eating "healthy food choices" is best. For some people, maximizing their calories for the limited money they have is "best". For others, buying the food they prefer is "best". For others, eating what is fastest and easiest to prepare is "best".

That's not the topic.

Forcing your kids to eat food they don't like could give them an eating disorder. Having a chunky child isn't the worst problem you could face in life and it could cost them theirs.

Seems like what you're saying other people don't share your values, and by-gawd they ought to!

Forum List

Back