Can Krispy Kreme Legally 'Shut Down' Re-Sale Of Their Doughnuts?

Who ratted on him to Krispy Kreme?
Some employee probably finally asked why he was buying 30 - 40 dozen doughnuts each week.... :p
and never gained a pound!!!!

can you imagine being that store manager and losing that weekly revenue?
30 to 40 dozen doughnuts a week is a drop in the bucket at the local KK where I live.
heh - probably. i don't donut a lot but those chocolate cupcakes from little debbie slay me.

Maybe, that KK had doughnut shortages after selling 100 boxes and didn't have enough for other customers. That's 1200 doughnuts.

The 'secret' is 'Doughnut Holes'!

Everyone knows they put uncut doughnut dough in a centrifuge - the centrifugal force forces the fat and calories to the outside of the doughnut. They then cut out the holes from the center, which no longer contain any fat and calories....

:lmao:

As soon as you give your food to another person the original person who made it is no longer liable because they could claim YOU altered the food.

Same as a used car. You buy a car from me, turn around and re-sell it that car is not my problem anymore and the person you sold it to cannot come after me for anything wrong with it.
I second this. Once that person buys the donuts, they are free to do as they please with them.

God bless you and the person always!!!

Holly

KK should have simply left the dude alone. He's making about $1500 bucks a week without harming KK's markets at all.
no idea if this is why, but if someone got sick or found a foreign object in a donut, who do they go after?
A friend who worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken when we were in high school asked about taking home the left over chicken at night when she closed the store, giving it to the soup kitchen. Throwing out good food really bothered her. They said it was ABSOLUTELY not allowed. Something to do with quality control.

way back when Coors was only sold in a few selected states, I heard people would drive/fly to a state where Coors was sold and it back to the state where it was not sold. Mostly doing it for a profit.

way back when Coors was only sold in a few selected states, I heard people would drive/fly to a state where Coors was sold and it back to the state where it was not sold. Mostly doing it for a profit.
Yes, way back then it had to stay refrigerated; something about the way it was made? Or just hype? I don't know.

Yes, way back then it had to stay refrigerated; something about the way it was made? Or just hype? I don't know.
Yes it had to stay refrigerated otherwise it would go bad.

Because there was no Kispy Kreme business anywhere nearby, a Minnesota college student drove 270 miles to Clive, Iowa, every Saturday to buy up to 100 boxes of doughnuts, drive them back, and re-sell them to customers willing to pay $17 to $20 per dozen. Some customers reportedly paid Jayson Gonzales as much as $100 per doughnut run for the doughnuts. 'There has not been a Krispy Kreme outpost in Minnesota for 11 years, which prompted the high demand Gonzalez saw.'

Upon learning about this, Krispy Kreme sent Gonzales a letter telling him he had to 'shut down' his business because his side business was a 'liability' to Krispy Kreme. KK added, "We appreciate Jayson's passion for Krispy Kreme and his entrepreneurial spirit as he pursues his education."

1. So, was Gonzales breaking any law by re-selling the doughnuts be purchased? Did / Does KK have any legal leg to stand on in demanding Gonzales stop making these runs and re-selling the doughnuts?

IMO, if they did, Gonzales would have received an official, legal 'Cease and Desist' order instead of a corporate letter informing Gonzales that he 'had' to stop.

2. What 'Liability' was Gonzales' re-selling the doughnuts causing in a location where KK chose not to have a franchise?

If anything, IMO again, KK should reach out to Gonzales and THANK him for pointing out such a high-demand area for expansion, if not offering to give him part (if not total) ownership of his own KK franchise in the are in which he was re-selling their doughnuts!

What say YOU?

Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'

Lol
Sounds like progressives whining about ARs, Even though ARs are used in a tiny, tiny percentage of violent crime in this country.

KK should have simply left the dude alone. He's making about $1500 bucks a week without harming KK's markets at all.
no idea if this is why, but if someone got sick or found a foreign object in a donut, who do they go after?
A friend who worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken when we were in high school asked about taking home the left over chicken at night when she closed the store, giving it to the soup kitchen. Throwing out good food really bothered her. They said it was ABSOLUTELY not allowed. Something to do with quality control.
you'd think they'd find a way, but maybe cause by the time KYC, or KK got to the "end customers" it's not the same. i love KYC but day old is going to taste like grocery store chicken.

you'd think they'd find a way, but maybe cause by the time KYC, or KK got to the "end customers" it's not the same. i love KYC but day old is going to taste like grocery store chicken.
Good point.

In my town, people often buy donuts from KK and resale them with KK 's blessing as part of fundraisers.

Fundraisers for non-profits is licensed by Krispy Kreme.

My question is, why wouldn't this guy open a franchise? Seems he's sitting on a goldmine.

Because there was no Kispy Kreme business anywhere nearby, a Minnesota college student drove 270 miles to Clive, Iowa, every Saturday to buy up to 100 boxes of doughnuts, drive them back, and re-sell them to customers willing to pay $17 to $20 per dozen. Some customers reportedly paid Jayson Gonzales as much as $100 per doughnut run for the doughnuts. 'There has not been a Krispy Kreme outpost in Minnesota for 11 years, which prompted the high demand Gonzalez saw.'

Upon learning about this, Krispy Kreme sent Gonzales a letter telling him he had to 'shut down' his business because his side business was a 'liability' to Krispy Kreme. KK added, "We appreciate Jayson's passion for Krispy Kreme and his entrepreneurial spirit as he pursues his education."

1. So, was Gonzales breaking any law by re-selling the doughnuts be purchased? Did / Does KK have any legal leg to stand on in demanding Gonzales stop making these runs and re-selling the doughnuts?

IMO, if they did, Gonzales would have received an official, legal 'Cease and Desist' order instead of a corporate letter informing Gonzales that he 'had' to stop.

2. What 'Liability' was Gonzales' re-selling the doughnuts causing in a location where KK chose not to have a franchise?

If anything, IMO again, KK should reach out to Gonzales and THANK him for pointing out such a high-demand area for expansion, if not offering to give him part (if not total) ownership of his own KK franchise in the are in which he was re-selling their doughnuts!
What say YOU?
Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'.

Not if I were buying them! They claimed a "liability" issue. Bullshit. The guy is selling them paid full price for them, they are his to do as he pleases. He is selling them as resold Krispy's, people know this, he is not representing himself as a Krispy dealer. I'd tell Krispy to go get stuffed (they probably won't sell him 100 boxes anymore anyways since he was stupid enough to advertise what he was doing).

Krispy should have told them he can't sell them in their boxes or must make it clear Krispy claims no liability or relationship with him. I haven't had a Krispy in ages. Now I guess I never will again.

What say YOU?
Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'.

Not if I were buying them! They claimed a "liability" issue. Bullshit. The guy is selling them paid full price for them, they are his to do as he pleases. He is selling them as resold Krispy's, people know this, he is not representing himself as a Krispy dealer. I'd tell Krispy to go get stuffed (they probably won't sell him 100 boxes anymore anyways since he was stupid enough to advertise what he was doing).

Krispy should have told them he can't sell them in their boxes or must make it clear Krispy claims no liability or relationship with him. I haven't had a Krispy in ages. Now I guess I never will again.

You cannot buy product with the intention of reselling it without the sellers permission.

You state you'll never eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut? GOOD CHOICE, moooo!

What say YOU?

You cannot buy product with the intention of reselling it without the sellers permission.

Ummm - statute?

What say YOU?

You state you'll never eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut? GOOD CHOICE, moooo!

Rubbish, 1%Brain! Restaurants commonly buy bread and other products from bakeries to then sell them at their establishment. I buy food from a supplier where EVERYTHING THEY SELL (meat, vegetables, deserts, breads, etc., etc.,) whether in basic form or completed product (ice cream, baked cookies), is sold mostly to restaurants at tax exempt wholesale prices. I can buy those big 10-15 pound blocks of cheese you see in the case at the local deli that they take out and slice up and sell to you at $8 a pound. I can get the whole thing for $25. There is no liability issue.

Unless there is a statement on the box or in the KK establishment stating that their product cannot be repackaged and resold, it is yours when you walk out the door to do with as you like. I think where the guy went wrong is keeping them in the KK box as a KK product. He should sell them individually through his own storefront or repackage them in his own box.

PROVE ME WRONG by linking me to the state law showing what law he is breaking.

What say YOU?

Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'

Krispy Kreme should be kissing his ass

Forum List

Back