Can Atheists be Moral?

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International

The only truly moral people are Agnostics.
A true moralist does what the Creator would have that one do and not what the individual believes is the correct course of action... Morality hinges on eternal truth.

You mean the creator as written in man made scripture? I can think of $1.2T reasons why religious provocateurs would want you to believe that.
Karl Marx said essentially the same thing.

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

A true moralist does what the Creator would have that one do and not what the individual believes is the correct course of action... Morality hinges on eternal truth.

You mean the creator as written in man made scripture? I can think of $1.2T reasons why religious provocateurs would want you to believe that.

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

Knew him well, did you?

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

Knew him well, did you?
Just through what he wrote. His writing reminds me of you. But then again his writing reminds me of most Europeans.

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

Knew him well, did you?
Just through what he wrote. His writing reminds me of you. But then again his writing reminds me of most Europeans.

Gosh. You're quick, aren't you?

His writing was in German.

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

Knew him well, did you?

German, huh? That’s in Europe, right? :lol:

It’s been translated.

April says hey. She misses you.

Big deal.
Karl thought so too.

Knew him well, did you?

German, huh? That’s in Europe, right? :lol:

It’s been translated.

April says hey. She misses you.

There's such a place as Europe?

Of course atheists can be moral. Morality is acting within social norms. Religion is but a pathway towards morality; tried and true for the most part, but right and wrong are defined by society, not a church denomination.

Morality is acting within social norms.
That would be nice. We could all sit back, relax, and just wait for others to act before judging their character. No, that will never do. Far too many bigots and thought police in our midst. And religion has certainly never helped in that regard. Truth is science has proven theists to be no more moral than atheists.

Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.
—Dostoyevsky

Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.
—Dostoyevsky
How is that different than what I have written before?

But he is wrong. The man continues to believe he loves.

Why do women care so much? Nothing they do can be serious. One way or then the other. Ya so I make all corresponding comments with who was number one statistically and discussing statistical top accomplishment and collaboration among any professor or student trying to make any Moral actions, who happens to be a woman. Oh well, can't tell anybody about this, there's some secrets somebody has to tell me that I'm asking they're telling me I was telling them that they were telling me.

Didn't the Queen revoke Jedi-Ism as a Charity as having no Moral code? Don't people compliment their Excellent Appearances with Religious adherence and community? Whether they like the Members of that community or not? Or they are all empty smiles or not? Or all the girls in Detroit are mean or not? Third Party? The Morality should provide distinction and direction rather than Liberty.

choice is like faith, unless they are realized the exercise is meaningless - triumph is required to bear the fruits of success. the metaphysical, evolution is no less a staircase of triumphant results. morals are the required ingredient somehow for the equation to jell.

Good thing you aren’t being morally indignant. :lol:

Yet again proving God does exist.
Yet again, no self-reflection. I know what I am...
I live for self reflection.

But the fact that everyone wants to be considered moral even though they don’t agree on what’s moral is the proof you have been searching for.

Self-reflection is nothing more than feeling sorry for ones self. If you want to make something of your life, then stop reflecting and do something.

Many theists believe it is clear-cut. Humans can only have opinions about morality, and no one’s opinion is any more valid than anyone else’s. This leads them to the conclusion that an objective source of morality must stand apart from, and above, humans. That source, they say, is God. Since atheists, reject God, atheists can have no basis for morality.

This is really two separate arguments: (1) that God is the source of objective morality and humans can learn morality from God and (2) that humans on their own have no way to know what is moral and what is not.

Can atheists be moral? - Atheist Alliance International

Please post the quote.

—Dostoyevsky

Teddy: You don't want the truth. You make up your own truth! Like your police file. It was complete when I gave it to you. Who took out the 12 pages?
Leonard: You, probably
Teddy: No, it wasnt' me. See, it was you!
Leonard: Why would I do that?
Teddy: To create a puzzle you could never solve!

Teddy: Lenny, you can't trust a man's life to your little notes and pictures
Leonard: Why not?
Teddy: Because your notes could be unreliable
Leonard: Memory's unreliable
Teddy: Oh, please!
Leonard: No, no, really! Memory's not perfect. It's not even that good. Ask the police. Eyewitness testimony is unreliable. The cops don't catch a killer by sitting around remembering stuff. They collect facts, they make notes and they draw conclusions. Facts, not memory. That's how you investigate. I know. It's what I used to do. Look, memory can change the shape of a room. It can change the colour of a car and memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation. They're not a record. They're irrelevant if you have the facts.

Teddy: So you lie to yourself to be happy - there's nothing wrong with that, we all do it.

Leonard: I take it I've told you about my condition.
Teddy: Only every time I see ya.

Leonard: I don't think they'd let someone like me carry a gun.
Teddy: I fucking hope not.

Natalie: What's the last thing that you do remember?
Leonard: My wife..........
Leonard: My wife...
Natalie: That's sweet.
Leonard: ..............dying.

Forum List

Back