Campaign in the Classroom

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2016/10/teaching-trump

Not sure about the basic premise that most teachers observe the principle of keeping their own political views out of the classroom under most circumstances. They should, but many do not.

No, not all of them do. But, a great many of the kids are impacted by what is on television and what they hear from the conversations in the homes. A lot of schools hold elections and the kids vote. Not that those matter but it's a civics lesson.

It is unethical to impose your personal political views on a captive audience of kids who don't yet have the tools to parse your bullshit for themselves.

It is unethical to impose your personal political views on a captive audience of kids who don't yet have the tools to parse your bullshit for themselves.

Kids are not sponges incapable of critical thought. Including rejecting whatever bullshit they've been served.
Hell, the first and foremost thing early school taught me was Catholicism. Age five. How did I get past it?

Stop treating kids like slave-sponge robots. Just teach 'em how to think.

Kids are not sponges incapable of critical thought. ......

On a relative scale, they are close enough that they should not be expected to sort through the subjective views of unethical educators while remaining a captive audience.

On a relative scale, they are close enough that they should not be expected to sort through the subjective views of unethical educators while remaining a captive audience.

It's called "life" --- everybody has to sort through what makes sense and what doesn't, and everything every teacher (including parents, peers, media etc) will have some kind of POV bias. That's inevitable. This idea that children are some kind of indelible tabula rasa to infect with a permanent marker is wrongheaded.

Just teach them to critical-think. All else flows from that.

It's called "life" --- everybody has to sort through what makes sense and what doesn't.....

A teacher's job is not to make that more difficult, just for the sake of pushing their own subjective political views on impressionable children who are obligated to be there listening. I understand that leftists like you support that sort of thing and more, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

It's called "life" --- everybody has to sort through what makes sense and what doesn't.....

A teacher's job is not to make that more difficult, just for the sake of pushing their own subjective political views on impressionable children who are obligated to be there listening. I understand that leftists like you support that sort of thing and more, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Actually I'm a Liberal, meaning I believe in leaving people alone to figure it out for themselves -- and more to the point here, I don't believe in thought control. It appears to be you who's patronizing children into little robots that think whatever you tell them on command. It's a cute fantasy but, again, that just ain't how life works.

Actually I'm a Liberal, meaning I believe in leaving people alone to figure it out for themselves -- and more to the point here, I don't believe in thought control. It appears to be you who's patronizing children into little robots that think whatever you tell them on command. It's a cute fantasy but, again, that just ain't how life works.

Sounds like you are rather unfamiliar with children, education, politics, and ethics. Adding to your list.

Whenever students ask me who I'm voting for I jokingly tell them I'm writing myself in. If they keep asking I keep giving them that answer and laugh.

Whenever students ask me who I'm voting for I jokingly tell them I'm writing myself in. If they keep asking I keep giving them that answer and laugh.

I told them I was writing my young son's name in.

I wasn't joking.

Sounds like you are rather unfamiliar with children, education, politics, and ethics. Adding to your list.

Actually it sounds like you lost yet another point.

Actually it sounds like you lost yet another point.

There you go again, trying to 'declare' yourself out of a corner.

Forum List

Back