Calm act

CALM Act

• Total voters
Why should someone have to spend money to avoid blaring commercials when those broadcasting the blaring commercials could tone them down for free?

All my previous kidding aside, I have grabbed my remote and turned down the TV during a commercial and then subsequently checked my wallet as well as my bank account, and for some reason nothing was ever missing.

I don't know what that means. :dunno:

That's a sensationalist comparison. It's a matter of a few decibels. I don't know the exact spread, but to say the difference is "deafening" is just stirring up shit.

That someone would feel the need for the government to solve this otherwise insignificant problem is pretty pathetic.
When you have your TV up a bit loud because you are watching a show where people are talking quietly, and in a second you have a Billy Mays-type screaming at you, it's more than a few decibels.

What rationale would you offer a logical person in favor of spending money on this issue, rather than using the volume controls provided by your television or remote control?
Who is spending money?

Why should someone have to spend money to avoid blaring commercials when those broadcasting the blaring commercials could tone them down for free?
You paid for a service. If you don't like the service, don't buy it- or look for services to make it better.

Why should I have to pay for a bumper sticker or a new stereo or a bobble head for my dashboard or a supercharger or rock-climbing tires when i already bought the car?

That's a sensationalist comparison. It's a matter of a few decibels. I don't know the exact spread, but to say the difference is "deafening" is just stirring up shit.

That someone would feel the need for the government to solve this otherwise insignificant problem is pretty pathetic.
When you have your TV up a bit loud because you are watching a show where people are talking quietly, and in a second you have a Billy Mays-type screaming at you, it's more than a few decibels.

What rationale would you offer a logical person in favor of spending money on this issue, rather than using the volume controls provided by your television or remote control?

basically their argument is this:

crying.jpg

NANNY! NANNY! IT'S TOO LOUD!

Who is spending money?

Whoever has to watch-dog for compliance of said new rules.

All my previous kidding aside, I have grabbed my remote and turned down the TV during a commercial and then subsequently checked my wallet as well as my bank account, and for some reason nothing was ever missing.

I was referring to someone else's post about purchasing a new tv with a regulator.

But the point still holds, why must I act to avoid someone else's action?

You paid for a service. If you don't like the service, don't buy it- or look for services to make it better.

Why should I have to pay for a bumper sticker or a new stereo or a bobble head for my dashboard or a supercharger or rock-climbing tires when i already bought the car?
:cuckoo: Apples and oranges. Perhaps the stupidest post you've ever made.

I was referring to someone else's post about purchasing a new tv with a regulator.

You spent money on a tv to be effected by the commercials...

wtf? Who's forcing you to watch their fucking AD?

the same people tying her to a chair, taping her eyelids open, and forcing her to watch tv in the first place

No one. They are forcing me to avoid their over loud advertising.

"FORCING ME TO AVOID"

Think about this. I hope you're not serious and just like to argue on teh netz, but come on.

Also, YOU CONTROL THE VOLUME OF THE TELEVISION.

not when the evil shamwow guy uses his slapshop's hidden controls to turn the volume up on all the TVs in the world!!!!

why can't the government control the remote for us?

that's why we got a nanny in the first place, right?

whose idea was it to turn the tv on in the first place?

When they surround your house with speakers and Noriega your ass with advertisements for the slapchop, you'll have a valid complaint

The logic used to support the government regulating volume during commercials might as well be used to support government regulation of what TV shows are in which time slots.

Because since these are "our" airwaves, I'd like for the government to get Two and a Half Men out of its time slot. Why should I have to change the channel when that show comes on?

The logic used to support the government regulating volume during commercials might as well be used to support government regulation of what TV shows are in which time slots.

Because since these are "our" airwaves, I'd like for the government to get Two and a Half Men out of its time slot. Why should I have to change the channel when that show comes on?
No, that is totally incorrect. Freedom of speech does not mean that we can regulate speech. Volume is not speech.

We own it so we can regulate it in this manner.

I can't stand the fucking volume automatically turned up 10 decibels just for an ad for something I probably don't want, but even if I did want it, I wouldn't buy it BECAUSE they had the audacity to think that I wanted to be blasted out of my chair first.

Forum List

Back