Calm act

CALM Act

• Total voters
I can't stand the fucking volume automatically turned up 10 decibels just for an ad for something I probably don't want, but even if I did want it, I wouldn't buy it BECAUSE they had the audacity to think that I wanted to be blasted out of my chair first.
You not buying it because of this reason is a market solution.

The logic used to support the government regulating volume during commercials might as well be used to support government regulation of what TV shows are in which time slots.

Because since these are "our" airwaves, I'd like for the government to get Two and a Half Men out of its time slot. Why should I have to change the channel when that show comes on?
No, that is totally incorrect. Freedom of speech does not mean that we can regulate speech. Volume is not speech.

We own it so we can regulate it in this manner.

Really?

So when I'm protesting somewhere on public property, the volume of my voice can be officially regulated by a person walking past me because that person is a partial owner of that property?

I can't stand the fucking volume automatically turned up 10 decibels just for an ad for something I probably don't want, but even if I did want it, I wouldn't buy it BECAUSE they had the audacity to think that I wanted to be blasted out of my chair first.
You not buying it because of this reason is a market solution.

Sure. Like they've done anything about simple complaints directly to the network carrying such ads, the product complaint divisions, and everyone else anyone can think of that might have control over this kind of situation. "The market" does zip as long as it can continue to lie to you and you continue to buy into their crap.

I figure I pay enough in fees for the privilege of watching television programming, and there are enough interruptions by advertising. An hour show is actually only about 40 minutes long. So there ya go. And for that, I don't need 20 minutes of YELLING or an ad that's all heavy metal music, with no dialog at all, and unless your eyeballs are on it, don't have a clue what the fuck THAT'S all about except that it's enough to set me scrambling for the mute button.

I couldn't be happier this is being taken on by the big guns in Washington. It's been one of my pet peeves for years and years. Another thing that annoys me are the popups for future programming that manage to wedge between the characters in a show I'm watching. AND IT STAYS THERE.

The logic used to support the government regulating volume during commercials might as well be used to support government regulation of what TV shows are in which time slots.

Because since these are "our" airwaves, I'd like for the government to get Two and a Half Men out of its time slot. Why should I have to change the channel when that show comes on?
No, that is totally incorrect. Freedom of speech does not mean that we can regulate speech. Volume is not speech.

Really?

So when I'm protesting somewhere on public property, the volume of my voice can be officially regulated by a person walking past me because that person is a partial owner of that property?

Why do some people always have to exaggerate a relatively small thing waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion?

Really?

Why do some people always have to exaggerate a relatively small thing waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion?
Because they've run out of logic.

wtf? Who's forcing you to watch their fucking AD?
No one. They are forcing me to avoid their over loud advertising.
whose idea was it to turn the tv on in the first place?

When they surround your house with speakers and Noriega your ass with advertisements for the slapchop, you'll have a valid complaint

A lot of municipalities have noise ordinances to control the level of decibels coming from boom boxes in vehicles, stereo music in apartment buildings, etc. But a municipality has no control over television advertising. If you want to listen to noise, then that's your choice, but no one should just presume that creating loud noise is some kind of "right." It isn't, and it's a no-brainer.

Really?

Absolutely. You've never heard of disturbing the peace?

Really?

Or loud and tumultuous...

"The market" does zip as long as it can continue to lie to you and you continue to buy into their crap.

Then don't buy their crap?

We're not talking about food or anything here. We're talking about watching the Simpsons- which you can do online.
I figure I pay enough in fees for the privilege of watching television programming, and there are enough interruptions by advertising.

Hulu...

as I said... nanny-stater litmus test

No one. They are forcing me to avoid their over loud advertising.

When they surround your house with speakers and Noriega your ass with advertisements for the slapchop, you'll have a valid complaint

A lot of municipalities have noise ordinances to control the level of decibels coming from boom boxes in vehicles, stereo music in apartment buildings, etc. But a municipality has no control over television advertising. If you want to listen to noise, then that's your choice, but no one should just presume that creating loud noise is some kind of "right." It isn't, and it's a no-brainer.

The flaw:

If I bother you with my TV, then that's my fault.

If you're bothered by your own tv or radio, that's your own doing.

You choose to turn your tv on.

Or loud and tumultuous...
:lol: Private property...big difference.

Just sayin' ...

The police report offers a different account of the incident.

Gates refused to step outside to speak with the officer, the police report said, and when Crowley told Gates that he was investigating a possible break-in, Gates opened the front door and exclaimed, "Why, because I'm a black man in America?" the report said.

"While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me," he said, according to the report.

The report said Gates initially refused to show the officer identification, but eventually produced a Harvard identification card, prompting Crowley to radio for Harvard University Police.

Gates followed the officer outside and continued to accuse him of racial bias, the report said. After Crowley warned the professor twice that he was becoming disorderly, the officer wrote he arrested Gates for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space."

Charge against Harvard professor dropped - CNN

Really?

Rav it takes a hell of a lot to be shut down for that. Simply standing in a spot shouting your protests typically doesn't lead to DTP charges, or even being shut down, other than to maybe be directed to what's considered a "designated area". You have to really start getting out of hand and doing more than just raising the volume of your voice.

Therein lies the parallel. A commercial being a little louder than regular programming is not "disturbing the peace" anymore than shouting some protests in a designated area is.

There's no freedom of speech distinction here. If you are inconvenienced by protestors somewhere, I highly doubt you'd be calling your congressman and asking him to enact legislation to lower the volume of their voices. You'll simply walk away.

So why not simply change the channel or use the remote and adjust the volume?

Why don't you just admit that what you REALLY want is a way to stick it to the big businesses who are inconveniencing you?

The flaw:

If I bother you with my TV, then that's my fault.

If you're bothered by your own tv or radio, that's your own doing.

You choose to turn your tv on.

Sorry, but those advertisers are intentionally (operative word) intruding on my private space by assuming I want to listen to their ad in higher decibels than the program I've already paid to watch.

Really?

Rav it takes a hell of a lot to be shut down for that. Simply standing in a spot shouting your protests typically doesn't lead to DTP charges, or even being shut down, other than to maybe be directed to what's considered a "designated area". You have to really start getting out of hand and doing more than just raising the volume of your voice.

Therein lies the parallel. A commercial being a little louder than regular programming is not "disturbing the peace" anymore than shouting some protests in a designated area is.

There's no freedom of speech distinction here. If you are inconvenienced by protestors somewhere, I highly doubt you'd be calling your congressman and asking him to enact legislation to lower the volume of their voices. You'll simply walk away.

Why don't you just admit that what you REALLY want is a way to stick it to the big businesses who are inconveniencing you?

Television programming and their advertising contracts are under the purview of the FTC. Advertisers can't demonstrate how penis enhancement actually works, because it would upset some viewers. They can't use certain descriptive words because it might upset some viewers. So they also shouldn't be allowed to upset viewers by choosing to up the volume of their ads. It's a controversial issue that can easily be resolved. Just don't do it.

Really?

Paulie, I think it's just one of those things that people go, gawd there ought to be a law against that! And then realize "we the people" actually do have the ability to regulate such...

Bigger and bigger government,more and more regulations,more and more spending,more and more taxes......MORE,MORE,MORE....

It's sad what this regime has done or is trying to do in this short period of time that America has lost it's mind.

"Deafening"??

REALLY??? :confused:
Comparatively, yes.

That's a sensationalist comparison. It's a matter of a few decibels. I don't know the exact spread, but to say the difference is "deafening" is just stirring up shit.

That someone would feel the need for the government to solve this otherwise insignificant problem is pretty pathetic.

Enough spread to shake me back to consciousness just as I'm drifting off to sleep.

And I wouldn't say I "Feel the need," but if it's on the table, hey what the hell? Why not? I don't see it as terribly intrusive.

Bigger and bigger government,more and more regulations,more and more spending,more and more taxes......MORE,MORE,MORE....

It's sad what this regime has done or is trying to do in this short period of time that America has lost it's mind.

C'mon dude, really?

And since we're talking... Yes America has lost it's mind... Your taxes have stayed exactly the same or went down since big O.

Really?

:cuckoo: I probably watch a grand total of 40 hours of tv a year...so it matters not to me. I am merely pointing out that we are "allowed" to regulate what we own.

Maybe we need a Calm Act to keep you under control. :lol:

Forum List

Back