Calm act

CALM Act

• Total voters
No, just another example of the used kotexes in government wanting to interject themselves where they do not belong.

Its annoying, yes, but the circuitry should be part of the TV, and that should be a market solution.

Yep...if we own it, we can regulate it. And we do.

Which is EXACTLY why we should fight tooth and nail every time the government wants to 'own' anything.
:confused: We, as in we the people. It is a fact of live that we as a group of people own the airwaves. The broadcasters do not.

If you think the government is still 'we the people' then that's pretty sad. It stopped being 'we the people' a long time ago.

Which is EXACTLY why we should fight tooth and nail every time the government wants to 'own' anything.
:confused: We, as in we the people. It is a fact of live that we as a group of people own the airwaves. The broadcasters do not.

If you think the government is still 'we the people' then that's pretty sad. It stopped being 'we the people' a long time ago.
No it didn't. It is not we, the peoples fault that some of the people elect assholes.

This is a corny corny corny corny corny waste of time.

loud commercials are irritating, but I don't see how this is congress's business or how we need anything like this. If people are really fed up, they'll but TVs with volume normalization or look to other media (eg: internet services) where providers listen to their customers in order to make a buck.

It's a baseless growth of federal authority for no good reason.

I vote nay.

Most TVs have a setting that normalizes volume.

Or you can do what I do and mute the fucking commercials. Another favorite of mine is to use the DVR and tape what I want to watch then just fast forward through all the commercials.

I don't think we the government involved in this.

Ok everybody. It looks like some of you still walk to the tv to change channels or, like my Dad, have your kids do it. And some of you may be unsure what that little shiney box that came with the tv does.

I know it has lots and lots of buttons on it, with words or numbers over them.

But if you look 'rreeaall' close and read all the buttons you will come across this word; 'Mute"

Whenever a comercial comes on, push that button and magic happens, the sound turns off or is "muted". Now hold on to your Lay-z-boy. When your show comes back on, you can push that magic button again and POOF, the sound returns or is "unmuted".

It's as simple as that and won't cost you a dime to implement, unlike this bs regulation.

Any questions?

A sounding NO!!

This is just government wanting to install some device to shut off the sound on your TV, at their will and control. They could then regulate which channels in the world you can watch or not hear what is going on.

Paranoid? NO. When I was in Vietnam government did their damnedest to control what we could listen to. It elicited an entire underground radio network run off of PRC radios, who could pump acid rock to the troops.

BESIDES, they already have a device for your TV if you want it installed.

Automatic TV Sound Regulator - Gadget specifications and review - Softpedia

Uh...no.

It requires the provider (Comcast, DirectTV, etc.) to put a Limiter on the maximum volume on the content they deliver..

In professional audio, Compressor/Limiters are used. They are overly used on FM radio stations. It takes very quiet passages and raises the volume (compression) while bringing down the loudest passages to a lower ceiling (limiting).

I've been wanting television manufacturers to install a simple Limiter in the circuitry for years. I think a few of them have. But on the whole, private industry has not done the job on this. The government (the people) own the airwaves, and we do not need to be aurally abused in our own homes every time there is a commercial break.

I, of course, voted yay.

Noone's forcing you to watch the TV

A sounding NO!!

This is just government wanting to install some device to shut off the sound on your TV, at their will and control. They could then regulate which channels in the world you can watch or not hear what is going on.

Paranoid? NO. When I was in Vietnam government did their damnedest to control what we could listen to. It elicited an entire underground radio network run off of PRC radios, who could pump acid rock to the troops.

BESIDES, they already have a device for your TV if you want it installed.

Automatic TV Sound Regulator - Gadget specifications and review - Softpedia

Uh...no.

It requires the provider (Comcast, DirectTV, etc.) to put a Limiter on the maximum volume on the content they deliver..

In professional audio, Compressor/Limiters are used. They are overly used on FM radio stations. It takes very quiet passages and raises the volume (compression) while bringing down the loudest passages to a lower ceiling (limiting).

I've been wanting television manufacturers to install a simple Limiter in the circuitry for years. I think a few of them have. But on the whole, private industry has not done the job on this. The government (the people) own the airwaves, and we do not need to be aurally abused in our own homes every time there is a commercial break.

I, of course, voted yay.

Noone's forcing you to watch the TV
What does that mean? And who the hell is 'Noone'?

You're the one who thinks the government's going to kidnap you, strap you to a chair, and force you to watch commercials at deafening volume.

I don't mind the level of commercials being at a lower volume. They are ridiculous and an obvious nusiance. I can already see Cable and Satellite companies preventing DVR to fast forward through commercials. They are losing value in Commercials because of DVRs. That is going to hurt their bottom line and either pass it along to customers or find a way to get those advertisements.

Forum List

Back