Calm act

CALM Act

• Total voters
Absolutely. You've never heard of disturbing the peace?

Rav it takes a hell of a lot to be shut down for that. Simply standing in a spot shouting your protests typically doesn't lead to DTP charges, or even being shut down, other than to maybe be directed to what's considered a "designated area". You have to really start getting out of hand and doing more than just raising the volume of your voice.

Therein lies the parallel. A commercial being a little louder than regular programming is not "disturbing the peace" anymore than shouting some protests in a designated area is.

There's no freedom of speech distinction here. If you are inconvenienced by protestors somewhere, I highly doubt you'd be calling your congressman and asking him to enact legislation to lower the volume of their voices. You'll simply walk away.

So why not simply change the channel or use the remote and adjust the volume?

Why don't you just admit that what you REALLY want is a way to stick it to the big businesses who are inconveniencing you?
:cuckoo: I probably watch a grand total of 40 hours of tv a year...so it matters not to me. I am merely pointing out that we are "allowed" to regulate what we own.

Maybe we need a Calm Act to keep you under control. :lol:

I'm not arguing that we aren't allowed to. I'm arguing that it's a waste of time for Congress to focus on now. Their efforts are needed in important matters like figuring out how to get millions of people off unemployment and welfare and getting them working and improving the economy. Not figuring out how to help someone fall asleep in peace while their TV is on.

And "it matters not to you"? :lol:

So little so, that you've devoted a significant amount of attention to every thread on the subject. :thup:

A lot of municipalities have noise ordinances to control the level of decibels coming from boom boxes in vehicles, stereo music in apartment buildings, etc. But a municipality has no control over television advertising. If you want to listen to noise, then that's your choice, but no one should just presume that creating loud noise is some kind of "right." It isn't, and it's a no-brainer.

The flaw:

If I bother you with my TV, then that's my fault.

If you're bothered by your own tv or radio, that's your own doing.

You choose to turn your tv on.

Sorry, but those advertisers are intentionally (operative word) intruding on my private space by assuming I want to listen to their ad in higher decibels than the program I've already paid to watch.

You bought the TV, you turned it on, you have the volume on and not muted.

Be a big girl and stop crying for the nanny whenever you have to wait for Barney to come back on.

Rav it takes a hell of a lot to be shut down for that. Simply standing in a spot shouting your protests typically doesn't lead to DTP charges, or even being shut down, other than to maybe be directed to what's considered a "designated area". You have to really start getting out of hand and doing more than just raising the volume of your voice.

Therein lies the parallel. A commercial being a little louder than regular programming is not "disturbing the peace" anymore than shouting some protests in a designated area is.

There's no freedom of speech distinction here. If you are inconvenienced by protestors somewhere, I highly doubt you'd be calling your congressman and asking him to enact legislation to lower the volume of their voices. You'll simply walk away.

So why not simply change the channel or use the remote and adjust the volume?

Why don't you just admit that what you REALLY want is a way to stick it to the big businesses who are inconveniencing you?
:cuckoo: I probably watch a grand total of 40 hours of tv a year...so it matters not to me. I am merely pointing out that we are "allowed" to regulate what we own.

Maybe we need a Calm Act to keep you under control. :lol:

I'm not arguing that we aren't allowed to. I'm arguing that it's a waste of time for Congress to focus on now. Their efforts are needed in important matters like figuring out how to get millions of people off unemployment and welfare and getting them working and improving the economy. Not figuring out how to help someone fall asleep in peace while their TV is on.

And "it matters not to you"? :lol:

So little so, that you've devoted a significant amount of attention to every thread on the subject. :thup:
This bill was introduced back in Spring or Summer. It wasn't just cobbled together during the lame duck, taking time away from other issues.

If this is an issue in your life, you are watching waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much TV.

I learned from that segment that too loud commercials has been the #1 complaint to the FCC for the past 50 years!

Case closed. The people have spoken.

If this is an issue in your life, you are watching waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much TV.

It's only an "issue" when it startles me from what I'm in the middle of. Asshole. Which is the whole point. Idiot. Anything else? Stupid?

It's only an "issue" when it startles me from what I'm in the middle of.
turn off the tv if its a distraction :eusa_eh:

Asshole. Which is the whole point. Idiot. Anything else? Stupid?
You're acting like a child:
-you can't focus
-you don't wanna turn off Barney
-you can't use the remote
-you're crying 'cause it's too loud
-you want the nanny to fix everything for you
and
-everyone else is a stupid doodie head

Grow the fuck up.

-you can't focus
and

Grow the fuck up.

So by your logic, if your neighbor likes to fire horse shit out of a cannon towards your house, there's no harm done. After all, you can just move to a new house, right? You don't want big nanny government to step in then either, right?

Last edited:

-you can't focus
and

Grow the fuck up.

So by your logic, if your neighbor likes to fire horse shit out of a cannon towards your house, there's no harm done. After all, you can just move to a new house, right? You don't want big nanny government to step in then either, right?

retard_ninja.jpg

-you can't focus
and

Grow the fuck up.

retard_ninja.jpg

Ahhhhh yes. Replying with a picture of a retarded person. That's always productive.

Beukama I find that I agree with you more often then not, yet in this thread (in addition to being very childish and trollish) you sound like "The T" or some other dimwit with all this overreaching omnipresent scary government rhetoric. So I have to ask, exactly how do you describe yourself, politically?

Cuyo, I won't behave disagreeable here but could you justify spending Tax-payer money to watch-dog said new regulation.................as opposed to just turning your TV down, especially with our Debt being the way it is?

-you can't focus
and

Grow the fuck up.

I'm entitled to my personal opinion, freak. Tough shit if you and Saggy don't like it.

-you can't focus
and

Grow the fuck up.

retard_ninja.jpg

Ooooh, don't let Sarah see you posting pics like that... :lol:

I can think of a few more relevant things to spend money on. How about including everyone on Call Blocking, and the Do Not Call" List, for example. That is a bigger nuisance than commercial volume. Cutting Commercials to 2.5 minutes 4 X per hour on TV and Radio would be nice. ;) :lol:

Along with controlling the volume.

And here I thought I was having something funny happening to my ears..:lol:

Cuyo, I won't behave disagreeable here but could you justify spending Tax-payer money to watch-dog said new regulation.................as opposed to just turning your TV down, especially with our Debt being the way it is?

How is taxpayer money going to be affected? This is an FCC regulation, not a spending bill.

There's a provision in the bill to grant a waiver if it would mean a cable/satellite provider would have to upgrade equipment to make this happen. Ironically, I already see the difference. AARP's ads were one one of the worst abusers--assuming anyone interested in AARP must also be deaf--and their ads the last few days have not increased in sound volume. So the tone-down button must be real simple to operate from their end.

Forum List

Back