Call me "master" -White teacher to black student

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
White Iowa teacher tells black student to address him by saying, ?Yes, sir, master?

An Iowa mother said this week that the Des Moines school board may have gone easy on a white teacher who told her black son to call him “master.”

Roosevelt High School student Jabre White, 17, recalled to The Des Moines Register the way his teacher, Shawn McCurtain, had told the class to head downstairs for a final exam in economics in mid-May.

“Yes, sir,” Jabre White remembered telling the teacher.

“You meant to say, ‘Yes, sir, master,’” McCurtain allegedly replied.

Mother Nicholle White admitted to the paper that her son did not have the perfect response.

“Who the f*ck are you talking to?” Jabre White reportedly told McCurtain. “You’re nobody’s master, and this is not the slave days.”

Black teen says teacher told him to call him 'master'

Roosevelt High School senior Jabre White said teacher Shawn McCurtain told a group of students to head downstairs to take their final in economics.

"Yes, sir," Jabre recalls telling him.

"You meant to say, 'Yes, sir, master,' " McCurtain allegedly shot back.

That comment stunned, hurt and angered White, a popular student at the high school that had 1,708 students last school year. It troubled his mother even more.

Vice Principal Joseph Blazevich investigated and confirmed the comment was made.

And people wonder why blacks are pissed?

I hope this white teacher is on the unemployment line but not until he makes a public apology to this young man.

Damn public schools. So this is what we get for our tax dollars? A bunch of child rapists and white racist?
I think they need to fire the lot of them. Of course that would mean the end of teachers unions,but I think I can live with it.

I had a white teacher tell me Black people had never done anything worthy of mentioning in history. I ended up getting kicked out of the class for threatening him so I can empathize with the kid.

Without context I don’t know what to think about the teacher, but I do know that in Germany and England the teacher was at one time was referred as the master in same way as a martial arts teacher is referred as master. The schoolmaster had total control the classroom and was subject to only the headmaster of the school . When the master entered the room the students would stand and not sit until he gave them permission to so.

I've tried to warn what is going on in your schools that should be called, commie camps

I hope she gets fired, that is wrong. What stupid thing to say.

The union will try to save her job, tenure is a big problem.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Without context I don’t know what to think about the teacher, but I do know that in Germany and England the teacher was at one time was referred as the master in same way as a martial arts teacher is referred as master. The schoolmaster had total control the classroom and was subject to only the headmaster of the school . When the master entered the room the students would stand and not sit until he gave them permission to so.

They were only ever referred to as a/the schoolmaster. They weren't addressed as "master" i.e - 'Yes, master'.

Good for the kid standing up to the teacher.

My inclination is to think the teacher just made a bad and inappropriate joke. My brother tells everyone to call him master, he thinks it's funny.

One would think that in this day and age teachers, of all people, would know how to deport themselves properly such as to avoid such an incident. But apparently not in some places. Racism is still alive and well, most unfortunately. For a while it seemed that racism was coming to a halt but now we see that it has reared its ugly head yet again. That can only signal that those in control are not truly controlling those who work under them, such as principals controlling teachers, therefore, one can only surmise that they too are not adhering to the laws of this country that prohibit discrimination based on race. That is truly outrageous!

One would think that in this day and age teachers, of all people, would know how to deport themselves properly such as to avoid such an incident. But apparently not in some places. Racism is still alive and well, most unfortunately. For a while it seemed that racism was coming to a halt but now we see that it has reared its ugly head yet again. That can only signal that those in control are not truly controlling those who work under them, such as principals controlling teachers, therefore, one can only surmise that they too are not adhering to the laws of this country that prohibit discrimination based on race. That is truly outrageous!

Do black people calling each other "******" and saying "******" in every other word in a sentence when they speak help?

Teacher needs to be terminated.

Student needs to understand next time go the administration. If he acts as he did before, have him arrested for public disturbance. He is old enough to handle the situation properly.

Forum List

Back