Call me Caligirl

Caligirl

Oh yes it is too!
Aug 25, 2008
Hello,

I have just joined and have started a thread on Politics.

I grew up in southern indiana, but I live in California now. I am passionate about a few issues - they all revolve around the future of the world, that we are leaving to our kids. So I make choices based on the economy, the debt, education, the environment, and probably a lot of other issues!

I have three children, but my first child died when she was a baby. Losing a child has been the hardest thing I have ever survived. That was thirteen years ago, and I can talk about it with a little bit of distance now.

I was raised Catholic and believe in the moral importance of service, in the name of faith and goodness. I think there is a lot of common ground between religious people of all stripes, and it hurts that we are all over the political map since we all hold the same fundamental values of creating a more just world.

I feel compelled to say something about abortion, because I know the trial of burying a child (in my case our child had a congenital birth defect that she couldn't survive.). Abortion, in my opinion, is a moral wrongness, plain and simple. Maybe some people feel differently about the moral aspect of abortion. And I don't want to talk about the legislative aspect, just about the personal aspect. I can speak of this from many angles, including the angle of the number of bereaved mothers that long to hold a child, and an unwanted baby would be a precious gift beyond any price.

The choice to abort arises from personal crisis and can create profound moral crisis, in my opinion.

I think there is broad recognition that abortion presents a moral difficulty of the utmost importance, and I wish (and hope) that we could all meet in this common ground of recognition.

I believe strongly, and firmly, and thoroughly, that the single best and quickest way to lower abortions in the US at this point, is to fix our current economy. A woman in personal crisis who also faces economic crisis can be pushed over the edge to choose abortion for the simple fact that she cannot afford another mouth to feed.

• The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570 for a single woman with no children) is more than four times that of women above 300% of the poverty level (44 vs. 10 abortions per 1,000 women).

That's from the guttmacher institute.

I don't know why the republicans haven't made more progress in pushing abortion legislation through. I have wondered if they need to keep the issue alive? to keep the religious right coming to the polls. Maybe if abortion was illegal, fewer pro-life people would feel the need to come out and vote.

I am voting for Obama. I believe he will address the economy effectively and immediately. I believe that the decline in abortion from RvW to until recently is much more to due with the economy than with legislation.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to say is that I see there are some attacks between posters on this site. That is a turnoff. I won't attack anyone, but if I am attacked I will respond once telling the attacker that I think they are a troll and will ignore them. I've been on too many message boards, and I have too many things in the world that I care about, to waste time throwing fits on message boards. I don't feed flametrolls.

See you,
Caligirl

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to say is that I see there are some attacks between posters on this site. That is a turnoff. I won't attack anyone, but if I am attacked I will respond once telling the attacker that I think they are a troll and will ignore them. I've been on too many message boards, and I have too many things in the world that I care about, to waste time throwing fits on message boards. I don't feed flametrolls.

See you,
Caligirl

Thanks for setting down your rules. We will all try to abide. :cuckoo:

:lol: We will see. You sound like myself, when I first came here. Boy, are in for a rude awakening. :lol:

But :welcome: anyway.

Welcome, Caligirl.

The people here are very nice actually.

I hope you like it.

Hi ya Cali Girl! I'm an Indiana girl too, lived here all my life!

Where did you grow up in Southern IN? Love that part of the state, very pretty.

Glad to have you here!

Hi, Caligirl. Everytime I see the thread title, "Call me Caligirl" I think it says "Call me Callgirl".

It's a little unnerving.

Only if you (or someone) can tell me how the hell to change my username! Do I have to delete my account and re-register?

Is that any better? I'd really rather change the user name.....

Forum List

Back