California's Proposition 8

Aeschines

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
For those of you who don’t know what California’s Proposition Eight is about, it overturned the right of Gay people to marry. This is in California. California is supposed to be the most liberal state in the Union. Two other states also voted for a ban on gay marriage this election. One of them was Arizona. They voted the same way as Arizona, the state that elected John McCain as senator the position that jettisoned him into the position that made it possible for him to run for President. This then led to Sarah Palin nearly becoming our Vice-President.

What were they thinking about voting for a ban on gay marriage? It is a simple way of depriving people of their rights. It is the moral equivalent of the Jim Crowe laws. It is like banning interracial marriages. It is unthinkably wrong.

This law needs to be overturned. Immediately. If this is America, the “land of the free”, then where is the freedom. If our enemies “hate us for our freedom”, then maybe, just maybe we should have some freedom for them to hate. Otherwise we are just the land of the prejudiced. The land of injustice. The land of the discriminatory. The land of the hateful.

The reason that people even have a problem with same-sex marriage is because The Bible mentions homosexuals derogatively. Because it says that marriage is between a man and a woman. So tell me. What happened to the separation of Church and State? When did that go out the window? Did it even ever really exist? What happened to civil rights?

People will ask, “Why do they need to marry? Why can’t they just get a civil union?” Would you be happy with that? Would you be happy if you could not get married but were only allowed to have a civil union? If heterosexuals are allowed to marry, then so should homosexuals. If homosexuals cannot marry, then no one should be allowed to marry.

We need to overturn this ban. We need to have this sent to the Supreme Court. They need to overturn it. Furthermore, they need to overturn all bans on same-sex marriage. It needs to become a legal right, be legally recognized everywhere, in every state. So I ask all of you, start a petition. Get the movement going. If this is truly the land of the free, then let’s be free, free to love whoever we want, free to marry whoever we want.

~Aeschines
[email protected]

We need to overturn this ban. We need to have this sent to the Supreme Court. They need to overturn it. Furthermore, they need to overturn all bans on same-sex marriage. It needs to become a legal right, be legally recognized everywhere, in every state. So I ask all of you, start a petition. Get the movement going. If this is truly the land of the free, then let’s be free, free to love whoever we want, free to marry whoever we want.
So you want to be Free to spread your nasty perversions and infectious diseases legally.

How noble!! :lol:

umm, I myself am against it, but THE LAST THING you want is going to the federal supreme court. Because if they turn you down then you are really fucked. Not in the way you like either

People will ask, “Why do they need to marry? Why can’t they just get a civil union?”

~Aeschines
[email protected]

I was under the impression (silly me) that the vote on Prop 8 meant that gay couples were no longer able to have their partnership recognized legally. I thought this was an abhorrent decision.

However, if it means that they can not have a Christian marriage but can still have a civil partnership whereby their relationship is recognized in law, then I support the vote.

Sorry.

umm, I myself am against it, but THE LAST THING you want is going to the federal supreme court. Because if they turn you down then you are really fucked. Not in the way you like either

It can not go to the Supreme Court because it is an issue of the State Constitution. It is not a lwa it is an amendment to the State Constitution, The Courts have little say in it.

Already have a thread on this as well.

I live in California. We are one of the most liberal states in the nation, which is shown through how we vote overwhelmingly in favor of the Democratic candidate in almost every Presidential election. But there is still tons of discrimination against gays. A lot of it is due to the large amount of Christians and Catholics, who are opposed to gays because of what their religion preaches. All of the major cities along our coast voted no, such as LA, SD, and SF. However, just about every county inland voted in favor of prop 8.

Forum List

Back