California Rep. Talks about being on no fly list, flew under middle name...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I heard this first I. The Dan and Amy show...this California Rep. Was put on the no fly lost....and his experience shows why it is stupid...

The silliness of background checks, a very simple way to defeat being on the "no-fly" list - Crime Prevention Research Center

Congressman Tom McClintock recounts his own experience being on the “no-fly” list. How was McClintock able to get around the ban that he faced on flying? He just had to fly under his middle name, which supposedly is “Miller.” Suppose that the IRA activist “that the British government was mad at” whose name was similar to McClintock’s had also started using his middle name and that it was “Richard.” If the federal government started trying to make sure that the person of interested couldn’t go that route, then not only would people with the name “Tom McClintock” find themselves prevented from flying, but also people with the name “Richard McClintock” or “Rich McClintock.”

From McClintock’s speech on Thursday, December 10th, 2015:

“While serving in the California state Senate a decade ago, I discovered suddenly I couldn’t check into a flight. When I asked why, I was told I was on this government list.

The experience was absolutely “Kafkaesque.” My first reaction was to ask, ‘Why am I on that list?’ ‘We can’t tell you.’ ‘What are the criteria you use?’ ‘That’s classified.’ ‘How can I get off this list?’ ‘You can’t.’ I soon discovered that another California state Senator had been placed on that list. A few months later US Senator Edward Kennedy found himself on the list. I at least had the office of sergeant-at-arms of the state Senate to work through, something an ordinary American would not. Even so it took months working through that office, with repeated petitions to the government to get my name removed from that list.

And the farce of it all was that I was advised in the meantime just to fly under my middle name, which I did without incident . . . .”

I heard this first I. The Dan and Amy show...this California Rep. Was put on the no fly lost....and his experience shows why it is stupid...

The silliness of background checks, a very simple way to defeat being on the "no-fly" list - Crime Prevention Research Center

Congressman Tom McClintock recounts his own experience being on the “no-fly” list. How was McClintock able to get around the ban that he faced on flying? He just had to fly under his middle name, which supposedly is “Miller.” Suppose that the IRA activist “that the British government was mad at” whose name was similar to McClintock’s had also started using his middle name and that it was “Richard.” If the federal government started trying to make sure that the person of interested couldn’t go that route, then not only would people with the name “Tom McClintock” find themselves prevented from flying, but also people with the name “Richard McClintock” or “Rich McClintock.”

“While serving in the California state Senate a decade ago, I discovered suddenly I couldn’t check into a flight. When I asked why, I was told I was on this government list.

The experience was absolutely “Kafkaesque.” My first reaction was to ask, ‘Why am I on that list?’ ‘We can’t tell you.’ ‘What are the criteria you use?’ ‘That’s classified.’ ‘How can I get off this list?’ ‘You can’t.’ I soon discovered that another California state Senator had been placed on that list. A few months later US Senator Edward Kennedy found himself on the list. I at least had the office of sergeant-at-arms of the state Senate to work through, something an ordinary American would not. Even so it took months working through that office, with repeated petitions to the government to get my name removed from that list.

And the farce of it all was that I was advised in the meantime just to fly under my middle name, which I did without incident . . . .”
Like the TSA, it's for show. The solution, National Photo ID, like other nations have.

Just to emphasize how stupid the no fly list is......and why the anti gunners love the idea...they get to ban guns without that silly process of passing laws, arresting people, convicting people.....just put their name on the list...no more guns for them....

He should be arrested for criminal act of false identity. Why did he not FIX the issue from GOVT? What a mess they create, then do nothing about it year after year. Yes, I am angry. I despise the waste, the stupid rulings, the slow courts, all of them.

Like the TSA, it's for show. The solution, National Photo ID, like other nations have.

Wow, we agree on something. I never would have believed it. There is hope for bipartisanship, lol.

He should be arrested for criminal act of false identity. Why did he not FIX the issue from GOVT? What a mess they create, then do nothing about it year after year. Yes, I am angry. I despise the waste, the stupid rulings, the slow courts, all of them.

How exactly do you expect a California State Senator to "FIX" the federal government?

How exactly do you expect a California State Senator to "FIX" the federal government?

Thomas Miller "Tom" McClintock II, is the U.S. Representative for California's 4th congressional district, serving since 2009. He is a member of the Republican Party. He is a former Assemblyman and state

He works in DC. He is a Congressman. He can get attention, get action to fix issues.

Thomas Miller "Tom" McClintock II, is the U.S. Representative for California's 4th congressional district, serving since 2009. He is a member of the Republican Party. He is a former Assemblyman and state

He works in DC. He is a Congressman. He can get attention, get action to fix issues.

Apologies, you're right.

Even so, a single Congressman doesn't have the power to "FIX" this country's ridiculous show attempts at preventing "terrorism". Can you imagine the shouts of "terrorist lover" that would accompany any attempt to "FIX" the no-fly list?

Apologies, you're right.

Even so, a single Congressman doesn't have the power to "FIX" this country's ridiculous show attempts at preventing "terrorism". Can you imagine the shouts of "terrorist lover" that would accompany any attempt to "FIX" the no-fly list?

There would be no Yelling from me or any sane person I know of (to correct any error). For instance if the name "Robert Smith" is on the "no fly list"? say what? how bout DL# SSSI# Address country fingerprints anything?

How in the world did the "name" Tom McClintock get on the list? Instead of fixing it he found way to weasel his butt around the problem? huh? Which Tom did they mean? where is he? ARG! out of control. Even HE could not get answers from how or why? Nutso! Blow it up. Start over.

So Mohammed Akmed Atwa is on the "list". But if he calls himself Akmed Atwa he is not on the list!

Somebody bring me some freakin' Dope up in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies, you're right.

There would be no Yelling from me or any sane person I know of (to correct any error). For instance if the name "Robert Smith" is on the "no fly list"? say what? how bout DL# SSSI# Address country fingerprints anything?

How in the world did the "name" Tom McClintock get on the list? Instead of fixing it he found way to weasel his butt around the problem? huh? Which Tom did they mean? where is he? ARG! out of control. Even HE could not get answers from how or why? Nutso! Blow it up. Start over.

I don't disagree with you - a friend of mine growing up was "on" the no-fly list because apparently his name was similar to an alias used by some wanted terrorist. It took him 5 years to get it taken off. But it's not that simple when politics are involved. It's the same reason why the "Patriot Act" is here to stay.

Apparently, there was an IRA terrorist named Tom McClintock, and that's why his name was flagged.

Forum List

Back