California moves forward with Anti-Spanking bill

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
I guess liberals can't tell the difference between child abuse and spanking a child. Not surprising. As if liberals know anything about discipline....that's a laugh....but they sure know how to dictate....especially when it comes to your children...

Despite opposition from parents and family groups, California has moved a step closer to passing an anti-spanking bill that would ban certain types of discipline.

The state bill was passed through the Assembly Public Safety Committee, Tuesday, one of many steps for the bill to become a law.

If enforced, it would prohibit spanking with the "use of an implement," including "a stick, a rod, a switch, an electrical cord, an extension cord, a belt, a broom or a shoe," Assemblywoman Sally Lieber told the committee.

Parents could face up to a year in jail if found in violation of the law

Lieber introduced the bill last year but it was shut down. She has since resubmitted after adding some revisions.

Critics say the bill would put loving parents behind bars.

"If this law passes, good parents could be handcuffed, charged, have their children taken away, be labeled a criminal and even be convicted," said Randy Thomasson with the Campaign for Children and Families.

He showed up at the committee's hearing with handcuffs in hands, along with a group of mothers who believe in spanking.

"(The bill) tramples the cherished right of parents to raise their own children and removes children from good parents who occasionally spank their children to correct misbehavior," he added.

Teenager Abigail Berke is against the bill. She says she was spanked as child with a wooden spoon when she needed disciplining.

"I think spanking is right. I was spanked as a child and I am very grateful that I was, because I have grown up the right way, respecting others and being mindful of what I do," she told FOX's KTXL.

Abigail's mother Sarah also spoke out against the bill, which is slated AB 2943.

"As someone dead-set against the evil of child abuse, I also have a strong faith that calls on me to correct misbehavior and rebellion when it occurs," she said. "Yet my faith and moral beliefs that teach me to 'train up a child in the way he should go' would make me a suspected child abuser under AB 2943."

Thomasson says the bill will also order parents to attend "nonviolent parental education" classes.

The anti-spanking bill heads to the Assembly Appropriations Committee next, where Lieber's first proposal was denied.

If it clears on all levels, the bill could become a law by late summer.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/358743.aspx

If enforced, it would prohibit spanking with the "use of an implement," including "a stick, a rod, a switch, an electrical cord, an extension cord, a belt, a broom or a shoe," Assemblywoman Sally Lieber told the committee.

I hardly see this as unreasonable.. Most kids respond to an open palm to the ass. Why do you need sticks, cords, etc?

Read the Amended Bill, and tell me if you think the law goes over the line.

It says that in child abuse prosecutions, the court or jury may consider any of several listed circumstances. It also provides that proof of those circumstances "is not sufficient, by itself, to prove guilt, and its weight and significance, if any, is for the [court or jury] to decide." In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

The listed circumstances are:

*The use of an implement, including, but not limited to, a stick, a rod, a switch, an electrical cord, an extension cord, a belt, a broom, or a shoe.
*Throwing, kicking, burning, or cutting a child.
*Striking a child with a closed fist.
*Striking a child under the age of three on the face or head.
*Vigorous shaking of a child under the age of three.
*Interference with a child's breathing.

I knew conservatives liked to torture people. I just thought they would draw the line at American children.

I don't think it's a reflection on conservatives. I think it's a reflection on SE.

There's nothing wrong with hitting a kid on the butt with your hand. You don't need an object to hit him/her with.

Read the Amended Bill, and tell me if you think the law goes over the line.

It says that in child abuse prosecutions, the court or jury may consider any of several listed circumstances. It also provides that proof of those circumstances "is not sufficient, by itself, to prove guilt, and its weight and significance, if any, is for the [court or jury] to decide." In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

The listed circumstances are:

*The use of an implement, including, but not limited to, a stick, a rod, a switch, an electrical cord, an extension cord, a belt, a broom, or a shoe.

I knew conservatives liked to torture people. I just thought they would draw the line at American children.

" In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

If this is the bottom line, then the law isn't needed...child abuse is already against the law......

These actions already rise to the level of abuse....in any degree....

I don't think it's a reflection on conservatives. I think it's a reflection on SE.

There's nothing wrong with hitting a kid on the butt with your hand. You don't need an object to hit him/her with.

Actually, from a physiological standpoint, you stand a greater chance of injuring a child using your hand than you do a belt.

An accidental palm to the kidney or spin can cripple or kill a small child. The impact of a belt, unless you use something like a weightlifting power belt, does not focus power like that.

Then there's the psychological impact of teaching the kid to fear YOU, not the belt. Ever see kids cow the second their father or mother raises a hand?

Trust me, I've had both treatments. When I was a kid, if I went through a day without a spanking they were checking my temperature to see if I was okay.:eusa_shifty:

Actually, from a physiological standpoint, you stand a greater chance of injuring a child using your hand than you do a belt.

An accidental palm to the kidney or spin can cripple or kill a small child. The impact of a belt, unless you use something like a weightlifting power belt, does not focus power like that.

Then there's the psychological impact of teaching the kid to fear YOU, not the belt. Ever see kids cow the second their father or mother raises a hand?

Trust me, I've had both treatments. When I was a kid, if I went through a day without a spanking they were checking my temperature to see if I was okay.:eusa_shifty:

I hear what you're saying. But I don't know if I agree. I was never hit as a kid. But my dad did make a show of taking off his belt and chasing me with it. lol.. I'm pretty sure his not catching me was intentional. But no one, no one messed with my dad. They still don't.

With respect to my own son, I've smacked him on the butt... I've also caught him by the hair when he's tried to escape, though he's pretty much outgrown the spanking thing. Now, I try to find other ways to punish him (like taking away his games) I don't mind him fearing me a little bit. I keep thinking of Chris Rock talking about his crazy mother tossing her shoe at his head. ;)

" In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

If this is the bottom line, then the law isn't needed...child abuse is already against the law......

That's very astute, and may be accurate. :clap2:

It seems like the intent was to clarify the evidence that would be admissible in child abuse prosecutions, rather than change the definition of abuse. If there were rulings in certain cases that excluded evidence of listed conduct, or clouded the issue of admissibility, or limited the manner in which a trial judge gave instructions to the jury, the law would be necessary to correct them or bring uniformity if different judges had different opinions. Or maybe the sponsor thought clarity was lacking, and wound up muddying the waters instead.

It seems like the intent was to clarify the evidence that would be admissible in child abuse prosecutions, rather than change the definition of abuse. If there were rulings in certain cases that excluded evidence of listed conduct, or clouded the issue of admissibility, or limited the manner in which a trial judge gave instructions to the jury, the law would be necessary to correct them or bring uniformity if different judges had different opinions. Or maybe the sponsor thought clarity was lacking, and wound up muddying the waters instead.

Or perhaps it is another example of the Liberal Nanny State opinion.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't know if I agree. I was never hit as a kid. But my dad did make a show of taking off his belt and chasing me with it. lol.. I'm pretty sure his not catching me was intentional. But no one, no one messed with my dad. They still don't.

With respect to my own son, I smack him on the butt... I've also caught him by the hair when he's tried to escape. I don't mind him fearing me a little bit. I keep thinking of Chris Rock talking about his crazy mother tossing her shoe at his head. ;)

I'm not talking "fear a little," nor am I talking reasonable people. My father certainly was not. He was going to make a man out of me if it killed me.:eusa_eh:

It also depends on the child. My oldest daughter got maybe two spankings the entire time she was growing up. My youngest collected a couple a day like I did.

I could shame my oldest. My youngest didn't give a rat's ass if she disappointed me or anyone else. Damned brat.:evil:

However, it was my grandfather that made my father quit hitting me with his hand because he'd hit me hard enough to knock me down when I was a toddler. He (my grandfather) was right about just about everything else I can think of, so I see no reason why he would be wrong on this.

Years of martial arts training taught me that he was right actually. I had one of those thin paddles that come with a rubber band and ball for corporal punishment around my house, and if anything, I probably spanked too light. I have a tendency to destroy shit if I don't attention.:redface:

You are absolutely right. I was kidding, but with purpose.

SE wrote, "I guess liberals can't tell the difference between child abuse and spanking a child. Not surprising. As if liberals know anything about discipline....that's a laugh....but they sure know how to dictate....especially when it comes to your children.."

Whenever a conservative extrapolates from an individual case some trait that he uses to paint all liberals, I often respond with some equally absurd generalization that mischaracterizes conservatives. If he takes the bait, I'll point out how ridiculous he sounds.

I need to work on conveying irony and sarcasm when I can't use tone of voice to do so. None of the available smilies really do the trick.

Or perhaps it is another example of the Liberal Nanny State opinion.

Perhaps you could clarify which of these you think should be permitted:

I'm not talking "fear a little," nor am I talking reasonable people. My father certainly was not. He was going to make a man out of me if it killed me.:eusa_eh:

It also depends on the child. My oldest daughter got maybe two spankings the entire time she was growing up. My youngest collected a couple a day like I did.

I could shame my oldest. My youngest didn't give a rat's ass if she disappointed me or anyone else. Damned brat.:evil:

However, it was my grandfather that made my father quit hitting me with his hand because he'd hit me hard enough to knock me down when I was a toddler. He (my grandfather) was right about just about everything else I can think of, so I see no reason why he would be wrong on this.

Years of martial arts training taught me that he was right actually. I had one of those thin paddles that come with a rubber band and ball for corporal punishment around my house, and if anything, I probably spanked too light. I have a tendency to destroy shit if I don't attention.:redface:

See, my dad was always afraid that if he hit us, he wouldn't stop... part of his being raised by a Russian immigrant, with a very heavy hand and four sons all over 6 feet tall... whom he pounded with some regularity, I'm told.

I agree about the differences in children. I was easy to shame. If you yelled at me, I started to cry. My son? Pffffffffffft.... there's nothing like the contempt with which a 10 year old can look at you, I swear. So I have to do something to get his attention which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do with a kid who's a second degree blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. So if I don't scare him, he'll get into a defensive pose... and he'll be taller than me in about a year. So I need him to think I'm a little bit crazy. ;o)

So, in any event, yes, I want a little fear, but i absolutely get what you're saying about not going too far.

Perhaps you could clarify which of these you think should be permitted:

I dont think he wants any of them permitted. That being said some of those are going to be hard to enforce. In the privacy of ones own home how can anyone determine if a parent spanked a child with an open palm or used a broom to swat the kids butt? Some of those quoted scenarios dont leave marks.

I dont think he wants any of them permitted. That being said some of those are going to be hard to enforce. In the privacy of ones own home how can anyone determine if a parent spanked a child with an open palm or used a broom to swat the kids butt? Some of those quoted scenarios dont leave marks.
He asked whether the statute "is another example of the Liberal Nanny State opinion." That sounds like he thinks the law goes too far.

Questions of proof do not invalidate a law, or disprove it's wisdom. Sometimes it's tough or impossible to prove murder. But normally there is proof before an investigation begins, including statements by the child, and observations by family members, teachers, child care workers, neighbors, and doctors.

He asked whether the statute "is another example of the Liberal Nanny State opinion." That sounds like he thinks the law goes too far.

Questions of proof do not invalidate a law, or disprove it's wisdom. Sometimes it's tough or impossible to prove murder. But normally there is proof before an investigation begins, including statements by the child, and observations by family members, teachers, child care workers, neighbors, and doctors.

Or perhaps it is yet another example of Liberals passing laws for no good reason, all those listed things are illegal and abuse already if they raise to that level. Already covered.

You do not mind much when the State intrudes into the lives of its citizens, well I bet that would change if it were YOUR life they intruded into. Then we would all be hearing how your rights were violated and something ought to be done about it.

Tell ya what? When the State agrees to pay for the birth of our children, all the food, clothing playthings and related items, housing and transportation, all medical expenses including dental, you know all costs associated with raising the child, they can come tell me how to RAISE my child. Until then, unless they can prove abuse they have no business telling me how, when or why I can discipline my children.

You do not mind much when the State intrudes into the lives of its citizens, . . . .

If you're abusing your kids, someone needs to step in.

I don't mind when needed to protect children from abuse. I've seen photos of dead kids in abuse cases. Dead little girls, dead little boys.

Something like that stays with you; I can't be indifferent.

If you're abusing your kids, someone needs to step in.

I don't mind when needed to protect children from abuse. I've seen photos of dead kids in abuse cases. Dead little girls, dead little boys.

Something like that stays with you; I can't be indifferent.

You also have no rights if everyone does not in fact have the same rights. When you willing allow the government to violate others rights cause you think it is ok, you have no rights either. Just as your pet peeve is allowed and good as far as you are concerned so it will be true for someone else when they decide some right you have shouldn't exist or should be ignored for the "greater good".

Just what are you going to do if Conservatives manage to take over and start reversing all your liberal crap? When they go to far I notice you howl about your rights. But as long as you think it is ok, screw everyone else's rights.

*****RGS goes off the deep end*****
Calm down. I never advocated violating anyone's rights. We need to intervene when kids are being hurt, but that does not imply seizing children on mere suspicion, or acting without due process, or whatever it is you're trying to say.

Take your Ritalin, dude.

Wow, spoken like a lawyer..........

Forum List

Back