California moves forward with Anti-Spanking bill

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by ScreamingEagle, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    I guess liberals can't tell the difference between child abuse and spanking a child. Not surprising. As if liberals know anything about discipline....that's a laugh....but they sure know how to dictate....especially when it comes to your children...

2. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hardly see this as unreasonable.. Most kids respond to an open palm to the ass. Why do you need sticks, cords, etc?

3. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Read the Amended Bill, and tell me if you think the law goes over the line.

It says that in child abuse prosecutions, the court or jury may consider any of several listed circumstances. It also provides that proof of those circumstances "is not sufficient, by itself, to prove guilt, and its weight and significance, if any, is for the [court or jury] to decide." In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

The listed circumstances are:

*The use of an implement, including, but not limited to, a stick, a rod, a switch, an electrical cord, an extension cord, a belt, a broom, or a shoe.
    *Throwing, kicking, burning, or cutting a child.
    *Striking a child with a closed fist.
    *Striking a child under the age of three on the face or head.
    *Vigorous shaking of a child under the age of three.
    *Interference with a child's breathing.

I knew conservatives liked to torture people. I just thought they would draw the line at American children.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I don't think it's a reflection on conservatives. I think it's a reflection on SE.

There's nothing wrong with hitting a kid on the butt with your hand. You don't need an object to hit him/her with.

5. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    " In other words, the conduct must rise to the level of child abuse to be illegal.

If this is the bottom line, then the law isn't needed...child abuse is already against the law......

*Throwing, kicking, burning, or cutting a child.
    *Striking a child with a closed fist.
    *Striking a child under the age of three on the face or head.
    *Vigorous shaking of a child under the age of three.
    *Interference with a child's breathing.

These actions already rise to the level of abuse....in any degree....

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Actually, from a physiological standpoint, you stand a greater chance of injuring a child using your hand than you do a belt.

An accidental palm to the kidney or spin can cripple or kill a small child. The impact of a belt, unless you use something like a weightlifting power belt, does not focus power like that.

Then there's the psychological impact of teaching the kid to fear YOU, not the belt. Ever see kids cow the second their father or mother raises a hand?

Trust me, I've had both treatments. When I was a kid, if I went through a day without a spanking they were checking my temperature to see if I was okay.:eusa_shifty:

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I hear what you're saying. But I don't know if I agree. I was never hit as a kid. But my dad did make a show of taking off his belt and chasing me with it. lol.. I'm pretty sure his not catching me was intentional. But no one, no one messed with my dad. They still don't.

With respect to my own son, I've smacked him on the butt... I've also caught him by the hair when he's tried to escape, though he's pretty much outgrown the spanking thing. Now, I try to find other ways to punish him (like taking away his games) I don't mind him fearing me a little bit. I keep thinking of Chris Rock talking about his crazy mother tossing her shoe at his head. ;)

8. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That's very astute, and may be accurate. :clap2:

It seems like the intent was to clarify the evidence that would be admissible in child abuse prosecutions, rather than change the definition of abuse. If there were rulings in certain cases that excluded evidence of listed conduct, or clouded the issue of admissibility, or limited the manner in which a trial judge gave instructions to the jury, the law would be necessary to correct them or bring uniformity if different judges had different opinions. Or maybe the sponsor thought clarity was lacking, and wound up muddying the waters instead.

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Or perhaps it is another example of the Liberal Nanny State opinion.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I'm not talking "fear a little," nor am I talking reasonable people. My father certainly was not. He was going to make a man out of me if it killed me.:eusa_eh:

It also depends on the child. My oldest daughter got maybe two spankings the entire time she was growing up. My youngest collected a couple a day like I did.

I could shame my oldest. My youngest didn't give a rat's ass if she disappointed me or anyone else. Damned brat.:evil:

However, it was my grandfather that made my father quit hitting me with his hand because he'd hit me hard enough to knock me down when I was a toddler. He (my grandfather) was right about just about everything else I can think of, so I see no reason why he would be wrong on this.

Years of martial arts training taught me that he was right actually. I had one of those thin paddles that come with a rubber band and ball for corporal punishment around my house, and if anything, I probably spanked too light. I have a tendency to destroy shit if I don't attention.:redface: