California fires, another dimension in climate change

Now that is the kind of nonsense statement that creates the impression that deniers have no brains at all. As stated, we now have nearly 10 times of the number of very large fires as we had 40 years ago. Care to address that? Care to address the issue of climate change in an intelligent manner?

Sure! We have EPA regulations that prohibit fire suppression efforts. Brush is allowed to accumulate for years. Every time there's a lightning strike that starts a small fire, a fire crew runs out there to put it out. This has allowed decades of fuel in the form of dead brush and dead trees to build up resulting in bigger and hotter fires.

Sprawl and people fleeing the filth and danger of the cities has pushed people further and further out, directly into area prone to fires. Ten years ago, a fire that wouldn't have burned a single structure, suddenly has 1,300 homes in its path.

The climate is perfectly normal. These regions have always had periodic fires. Fires clear away the dead, some species of plants cannot germinate without exposure to fire. The manzanita is one.
manzanita germination
Healthy forests burn periodically. It's what keeps them healthy. Fire prevention, the way we do it, results in unhealthy forests that have bigger and hotter fires.

Maintaining Fire s Natural Role The Nature Conservancy

Let forests burn. Stop building homes in fire prone areas.

Problem solved. There's no climate change. The climate is normal. Human brains need changing.

What about the melting of glaciers and acidification of oceans? That's pretty undeniable evidence of climate change.

To say there is no climate change is denying the facts.

To blame these fires on climate change is AlGore style exaggerration.

What about the melting of glaciers and acidification of oceans?

What about the melting of the glaciers? There used to be a mile thick sheet of ice over Chicago.
The climate changes. Did we melt the Chicago glacier? How'd we do it?

Worked for the Forest Service for about three years over forty years ago. Yes, it is so easy to blame the Forest Service. They are given x amount of money for fighting fires, and when that is gone, as it is every year 1/2 to 3/4 through the fire season, they have to use other funds, like those for management of the forest, for fighting the fires. Then they get damned for not being able to do the thinning and other management with zero funds.

Here's a clue: they shouldn't have been suppressing the fires. You guys were playing God and now God is telling us who's really in charge.

Now that is the kind of nonsense statement that creates the impression that deniers have no brains at all. As stated, we now have nearly 10 times of the number of very large fires as we had 40 years ago. Care to address that? Care to address the issue of climate change in an intelligent manner?

Sure! We have EPA regulations that prohibit fire suppression efforts. Brush is allowed to accumulate for years. Every time there's a lightning strike that starts a small fire, a fire crew runs out there to put it out. This has allowed decades of fuel in the form of dead brush and dead trees to build up resulting in bigger and hotter fires.

Sprawl and people fleeing the filth and danger of the cities has pushed people further and further out, directly into area prone to fires. Ten years ago, a fire that wouldn't have burned a single structure, suddenly has 1,300 homes in its path.

The climate is perfectly normal. These regions have always had periodic fires. Fires clear away the dead, some species of plants cannot germinate without exposure to fire. The manzanita is one.
manzanita germination
Healthy forests burn periodically. It's what keeps them healthy. Fire prevention, the way we do it, results in unhealthy forests that have bigger and hotter fires.

Problem solved. There's no climate change. The climate is normal. Human brains need changing.

What about the melting of glaciers and acidification of oceans? That's pretty undeniable evidence of climate change.

What about the melting of the glaciers? There used to be a mile thick sheet of ice over Chicago.

You said there was no such thing as climate change. Thanks for disproving g your earlier statement by acknowledging g that major climate change has happened in the past. Glaciers melting now is proof it is happening again.

Denying climate change makes you sound ignorant. Arguing about the source of climate change is where you need to go.

manzanita germination

You said there was no such thing as climate change. Thanks for disproving g your earlier statement by acknowledging g that major climate change has happened in the past. Glaciers melting now is proof it is happening again.

Denying climate change makes you sound ignorant. Arguing about the source of climate change is where you need to go.

You said there was no such thing as climate change.

Show me.
Show me where I ever said that.

Denying climate change makes you sound ignorant.

Claiming we could stop the climate from changing, just by wasting trillions on windmills and crippling our economy, makes you sound stupid and wasteful.
And stupid. Really, really stupid. Did I mention stupid?

Was the environmentalists in charge back then?

manzanita germination

Show me.

Claiming we could stop the climate from changing, just by wasting trillions on windmills and crippling our economy, makes you sound stupid and wasteful.

My mistake. You responded to my response to a poster who denied climate change ... who said literally "there's no climate change" and that confused me. I guess I assumed you agreed with him.

Spending money on wind power is not waste. Wind power is superior technology to fossil fuels.

Nobody's spending trillions on them.

I don't support wrecking the economy.

Now we could have a debate on whether humankind can influence climate ... and I would win such debate ... humans can influence climate. CO2 levels can influence climate. Fossil fuel burning does generate huge amounts of CO2. But of course you would bring in all kinds of sophistry and nonsense studies and claims and you would claim victory ... so what's the point?

More arsonists in this sick society.

No mystery here.

Worked for the Forest Service for about three years over forty years ago. Yes, it is so easy to blame the Forest Service. They are given x amount of money for fighting fires, and when that is gone, as it is every year 1/2 to 3/4 through the fire season, they have to use other funds, like those for management of the forest, for fighting the fires. Then they get damned for not being able to do the thinning and other management with zero funds.
Millions of jobless becoming morbidly obese on entitlements ought to be thinning brush by hand for minimum wage.

manzanita germination

Cavemen started lighting farts.

White cavemen, I might add.

I remember when Armold Schwarzenegger said that, because of climate change, we no longer have a "wildfire season". Now it's all year long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manzanita germination

What you morons don't seem to understand (deliberate ignorance most likely) is that just because there was climate change in the past that had other causes doesn't mean that climate change today is not caused by fossil fuel emissions.

The science is clear ... increasing CO2 causes global warming. Willful Ignorance is the only way to not undestand that science.

Feedback mechanisms can delay the warming predicted by the climate models ... but eventually there is a point where CO2 warming becomes the dominant temperature forcing and feedback mechanisms become secondary in importance. Just look at freaking Venus for the proof.

I remember when Armold Schwarzenegger said that, because of climate change, we no longer have a "wildfire season". Now it's all year long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom line is politicians like AlGore don't really understand the details climate change and so they can do more harm than good to the message they're trying to communicate when they exaggerate or over play their knowledge. Case in point is AlGore and the Hurricanes claim in his film.

manzanita germination

Show me.

My mistake. You responded to my response to a poster who denied climate change ... who said literally "there's no climate change" and that confused me. I guess I assumed you agreed with him.

Spending money on wind power is not waste. Wind power is superior technology to fossil fuels.

Now we could have a debate on whether humankind can influence climate ... and I would win such debate ... humans can influence climate. CO2 levels can influence climate. Fossil fuel burning does generate huge amounts of CO2. But of course you would bring in all kinds of sophistry and nonsense studies and claims and you would claim victory ... so what's the point?

That's hilarious!

The greens would force us to, if they could. Just look at the idiot's CO2 decree.

Of course you do.

manzanita germination

What you morons don't seem to understand (deliberate ignorance most likely) is that just because there was climate change in the past that had other causes doesn't mean that climate change today is not caused by fossil fuel emissions.

The science is clear ... increasing CO2 causes global warming. Willful Ignorance is the only way to not undestand that science.

Feedback mechanisms can delay the warming predicted by the climate models ... but eventually there is a point where CO2 warming becomes the dominant temperature forcing and feedback mechanisms become secondary in importance. Just look at freaking Venus for the proof.

The science is clear ... increasing CO2 causes global warming.

That's awful! Of all the warming since 1900, what percentage was human released CO2 and what percentage was Mother Nature?

Just look at freaking Venus for the proof

Did they drive too many SUVs?

manzanita germination

No, it is not. Have a look at the drought map, and consider where the most of our forests are at.
U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Portal

U.S. Drought Monitor

manzanita germination

That's awful! Of all the warming since 1900, what percentage was human released CO2 and what percentage was Mother Nature?

There has been about a 40% increase in atmospheric CO2 since 1900. And nearly 100% of it is from the burning of fossil fuels.

It has to do with retarded forest management practices by people who absolutely have no clue what they're doing.

Gotta love such a display of complete ignorance. Well, by God, you may just get your wish, a powerful fire pushed into an urban area by a strong wind. And not enough firefighters to stop it. I am sure the home owners will sympathize completely with your nonsense.

Crown fires are not good for forests, period. And the big fires have pretty much been crown fires. I am sure that the people of Peshtigo would sympathize with your idea of just letting fires run their course.

Crown fires are not good for forests, period. And the big fires have pretty much been crown fires.

Decades of forest mismanagement by the Feds led to a poor outcome?
You're shitting me. Who could have predicted that?
Ha, exactly.

manzanita germination

The science states that all or nearly all of the long term warming trend observed in the 20th and 21st century has been due to increased CO2. Increased CO2 can be almost completely attributed to fossil fuel burning. That is the science.

Now you can tell us the sophistry.

Forum List

Back