California fires, another dimension in climate change

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
California fires Evacuation orders given to 13 000 - BBC News

Evacuation orders have been given to 13,000 people in California as firefighters struggle to contain some 20 wildfires.

Some 9,000 firefighters worked throughout Monday in steep terrain and rugged conditions, officials said.

The biggest blaze - the so-called Rocky fire north of San Francisco - has already consumed more than 101 square miles (262 sq km) of land.

On Monday afternoon the fire jumped a highway that had been containing it.

More than 3,000 firefighters were employed to fight that specific blaze.

By Tuesday afternoon, cooler weather helped make a buffer between the flames and the 5,500 homes they could destroy.

No additional homes were destroyed on Tuesday, after 24 were burnt down the day before.

After 4 years of record breaking drought, triple digit temperatures, and high winds, hell to pay. Oregon, Washington, and Idaho also primed for major fires. 40 years ago, we measured fires in acres, today they are not major unless they are measured in tens of square miles. 40 years ago, there was an average of slightly less than one fire per year over 100,000 acres, now the average is nearly ten of these fires a year in the US.

Now that is the kind of nonsense statement that creates the impression that deniers have no brains at all. As stated, we now have nearly 10 times of the number of very large fires as we had 40 years ago. Care to address that? Care to address the issue of climate change in an intelligent manner?

Wildland Fire History Timeline U.S. National Park Service
Guess you ignored this link in the other thread-

California fires Evacuation orders given to 13 000 - BBC News

Evacuation orders have been given to 13,000 people in California as firefighters struggle to contain some 20 wildfires.

Some 9,000 firefighters worked throughout Monday in steep terrain and rugged conditions, officials said.

The biggest blaze - the so-called Rocky fire north of San Francisco - has already consumed more than 101 square miles (262 sq km) of land.

On Monday afternoon the fire jumped a highway that had been containing it.

More than 3,000 firefighters were employed to fight that specific blaze.

By Tuesday afternoon, cooler weather helped make a buffer between the flames and the 5,500 homes they could destroy.

No additional homes were destroyed on Tuesday, after 24 were burnt down the day before.

After 4 years of record breaking drought, triple digit temperatures, and high winds, hell to pay. Oregon, Washington, and Idaho also primed for major fires. 40 years ago, we measured fires in acres, today they are not major unless they are measured in tens of square miles. 40 years ago, there was an average of slightly less than one fire per year over 100,000 acres, now the average is nearly ten of these fires a year in the US.

Well, my goodness, a record of individual great fires. Yet what I addressed was the increase in the average number of great fires per year. The point escaped you? Or do you just like being dishonest?

Many of the fires were in millions of acres, thus burning up their fuel for years to come. Today we are able to limit the size of the fires through fire fighting, thus leaving more tender for the next year, and the next, and the next.
Well, my goodness, a record of individual great fires. Yet what I addressed was the increase in the average number of great fires per year. The point escaped you? Or do you just like being dishonest?

Now that is the kind of nonsense statement that creates the impression that deniers have no brains at all. As stated, we now have nearly 10 times of the number of very large fires as we had 40 years ago. Care to address that? Care to address the issue of climate change in an intelligent manner?

Sure! We have EPA regulations that prohibit fire suppression efforts. Brush is allowed to accumulate for years. Every time there's a lightning strike that starts a small fire, a fire crew runs out there to put it out. This has allowed decades of fuel in the form of dead brush and dead trees to build up resulting in bigger and hotter fires.

Sprawl and people fleeing the filth and danger of the cities has pushed people further and further out, directly into area prone to fires. Ten years ago, a fire that wouldn't have burned a single structure, suddenly has 1,300 homes in its path.

The climate is perfectly normal. These regions have always had periodic fires. Fires clear away the dead, some species of plants cannot germinate without exposure to fire. The manzanita is one.
manzanita germination
Healthy forests burn periodically. It's what keeps them healthy. Fire prevention, the way we do it, results in unhealthy forests that have bigger and hotter fires.

Maintaining Fire s Natural Role The Nature Conservancy

Let forests burn. Stop building homes in fire prone areas.

Problem solved. There's no climate change. The climate is normal. Human brains need changing.

Gotta love such a display of complete ignorance. Well, by God, you may just get your wish, a powerful fire pushed into an urban area by a strong wind. And not enough firefighters to stop it. I am sure the home owners will sympathize completely with your nonsense.

Crown fires are not good for forests, period. And the big fires have pretty much been crown fires. I am sure that the people of Peshtigo would sympathize with your idea of just letting fires run their course.

Gotta love such a display of complete ignorance. Well, by God, you may just get your wish, a powerful fire pushed into an urban area by a strong wind. And not enough firefighters to stop it. I am sure the home owners will sympathize completely with your nonsense.

Crown fires are not good for forests, period. And the big fires have pretty much been crown fires. I am sure that the people of Peshtigo would sympathize with your idea of just letting fires run their course.

Crown fires are not good for forests, period. And the big fires have pretty much been crown fires.

Decades of forest mismanagement by the Feds led to a poor outcome?
You're shitting me. Who could have predicted that?

Worked for the Forest Service for about three years over forty years ago. Yes, it is so easy to blame the Forest Service. They are given x amount of money for fighting fires, and when that is gone, as it is every year 1/2 to 3/4 through the fire season, they have to use other funds, like those for management of the forest, for fighting the fires. Then they get damned for not being able to do the thinning and other management with zero funds.

40 years ago?

Is that as far back as your memory goes? :slap:

One of the worst fires a few years ago was at Crestline where my friend had a cabin. The area was full of dead trees because of an infestation of bark beetle. Trees are the natural habitat of the bark beetle so the dead trees stayed.

The forest service sent my friend a citation to clear away all the dead brush around her cabin. She did that. Then she got a $500.00 fine for clearing the land and ordered to restore the surroundings to their natural state. The Crestline fire took the dead trees, dead brush and her cabin. She took the insurance money and abandoned the land.

It's caused by the decades of fire suppression. Fires are the norm for the West.

Sure! We have EPA regulations that prohibit fire suppression efforts. Brush is allowed to accumulate for years. Every time there's a lightning strike that starts a small fire, a fire crew runs out there to put it out. This has allowed decades of fuel in the form of dead brush and dead trees to build up resulting in bigger and hotter fires.

Sprawl and people fleeing the filth and danger of the cities has pushed people further and further out, directly into area prone to fires. Ten years ago, a fire that wouldn't have burned a single structure, suddenly has 1,300 homes in its path.

The climate is perfectly normal. These regions have always had periodic fires. Fires clear away the dead, some species of plants cannot germinate without exposure to fire. The manzanita is one.
manzanita germination
Healthy forests burn periodically. It's what keeps them healthy. Fire prevention, the way we do it, results in unhealthy forests that have bigger and hotter fires.

Maintaining Fire s Natural Role The Nature Conservancy

Let forests burn. Stop building homes in fire prone areas.

Problem solved. There's no climate change. The climate is normal. Human brains need changing.

What about the melting of glaciers and acidification of oceans? That's pretty undeniable evidence of climate change.

To say there is no climate change is denying the facts.

To blame these fires on climate change is AlGore style exaggerration.

It would not be at all surprising to hear warmists blame the existence of the sun on climate change.

One of the worst fires a few years ago was at Crestline where my friend had a cabin. The area was full of dead trees because of an infestation of bark beetle. Trees are the natural habitat of the bark beetle so the dead trees stayed.

The forest service sent my friend a citation to clear away all the dead brush around her cabin. She did that. Then she got a $500.00 fine for clearing the land and ordered to restore the surroundings to their natural state. The Crestline fire took the dead trees, dead brush and her cabin. She took the insurance money and abandoned the land.

The bark beetle infestation may be contributed to by climate change.

What used to stop the fires before man in his infinite wisdom decided fires were bad?

This is no duh. People want to live in the mountains fine ... but when the big fire destroys their home they only have themselves to blame.

Forum List

Back