California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state

There is a basic conundrum that all politicians must face: The more you do to help people in need, the more people NOT in need will take advantage of the help. And the people who are truly in need will often be pushed aside because they are not smart enough to access the help. And SOMEBODY has to pay for all this...that SOMEBODY being those who are productive.

California constantly tries to make life better for homeless people and poor people. Further, it has a climate that makes it attractive to homeless people.

California is home to many "industries" that are able to generate mountains of revenues and profits from near-worthless crap, so it has a HUGE tax base from which to fund its social safety net.

It's fun to watch.

California has 5 million poor people, that's more then all the poor in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana combined

Bear... the Big money got a tax break 7 years ago in San Francisco to Trickle down the $$ which didn't happen.

So the Mega rich kicked the poor to the curb and tore affordable housing down to build 3 million dollar an apartment Hi- Rises.

The poor were pushed out into the streets..

This is what Trickle Down does ..

What they got a California tax cut???.

They have been doing the same in Chicago for a while I remember before I left I went into an old run down neighborhood where I used to buy my drugs in my youth

Back then it was trash , guns and crime everywhere...but in 2003 it looked like a Lilly white suburb

Yep, most every city will bring in the wealthy pushing the low income out.. now California is probably the state people come to because it is tolerable to live outside..

BTW: The shelters have a 9 month waiting list while the mega rich buy $30.00 hamburgers and ship in people by bus to clean their toilets and teach their children..

Watch what happens with this top 1% tax cut Bear...Trickle Down doesn't work.

That's not trickle down, trickle down has to do with companys, producing innovations and jobs ...thats the theory anyways.

Uh oh thinking about it some more you may be right and I am wrong.

is just nuts. Nutty nutty libtards.

California Dems propose surcharge on businesses to fund social programs

Lawmakers from California have proposed a bill that would compel companies making more than $1 million to turn over half their tax-cut savings to the state in order to fund programs that support low-income and middle-class families.

Why do they always name middle class? What the heck do we get out of it?
Nothing. They just think it sounds better.

Maybe they need to help the poor that the mega rich kicked out of their affordable housing to build 3 million dollar a apartment Hi-Rises.

I do not agree with the far left in our Calif. government right now, but the poor is our problem and in our community.

Cali is barreling towards insolvency....the end result of left economics. See Illinois as another prime example.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee the policy does not work and blaming the rich is asinine and a lame left wing talking point

No , you don't live in Silicon Valley so you do not see it.. Facebook, Apple, Google and the other big companies here can pay more taxes just like I do.. and will not leave.

But these far lefties laws are making me angry..

Any business with a lick of business sense will leave when it begins to hit the bottom line.

Nope, this area is the new Gold Rush of our time... we will see what happens .. But I doubt anyone will leave unless if we have a big earthquake.

They're already leaving...maybe not APP, FB and Goog but others are

Well seriously, these people in the mom and pop startups can not afford to live here.. many fail .

They keep building million dollar apartments but do not help build any new schools, roads, freeways, cops, firemen, parks or anything else. We are bursting at the seams.. Glad my kids graduated before the boom..

Cali is barreling towards insolvency....the end result of left economics. See Illinois as another prime example.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee the policy does not work and blaming the rich is asinine and a lame left wing talking point

No , you don't live in Silicon Valley so you do not see it.. Facebook, Apple, Google and the other big companies here can pay more taxes just like I do.. and will not leave.

Any business with a lick of business sense will leave when it begins to hit the bottom line.

Nope, this area is the new Gold Rush of our time... we will see what happens .. But I doubt anyone will leave unless if we have a big earthquake.

Well seriously, these people in the mom and pop startups can not afford to live here.. many fail .

They keep building million dollar apartments but do not help build any new schools, roads, freeways, cops, firemen, parks or anything else. We are bursting at the seams.. Glad my kids graduated before the boom..

That reminds me even in Chicago before I left I read so many story's about senior citizens owning their own homes but had to move because they couldn't afford the property tax, but I thought California capped them?

There is a basic conundrum that all politicians must face: The more you do to help people in need, the more people NOT in need will take advantage of the help. And the people who are truly in need will often be pushed aside because they are not smart enough to access the help. And SOMEBODY has to pay for all this...that SOMEBODY being those who are productive.

California constantly tries to make life better for homeless people and poor people. Further, it has a climate that makes it attractive to homeless people.

California is home to many "industries" that are able to generate mountains of revenues and profits from near-worthless crap, so it has a HUGE tax base from which to fund its social safety net.

It's fun to watch.

California has 5 million poor people, that's more then all the poor in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana combined

Bear... the Big money got a tax break 7 years ago in San Francisco to Trickle down the $$ which didn't happen.

So the Mega rich kicked the poor to the curb and tore affordable housing down to build 3 million dollar an apartment Hi- Rises.

The poor were pushed out into the streets..

This is what Trickle Down does ..

What they got a California tax cut???.

They have been doing the same in Chicago for a while I remember before I left I went into an old run down neighborhood where I used to buy my drugs in my youth

Back then it was trash , guns and crime everywhere...but in 2003 it looked like a Lilly white suburb

Yep, most every city will bring in the wealthy pushing the low income out.. now California is probably the state people come to because it is tolerable to live outside..

BTW: The shelters have a 9 month waiting list while the mega rich buy $30.00 hamburgers and ship in people by bus to clean their toilets and teach their children..

Watch what happens with this top 1% tax cut Bear...Trickle Down doesn't work.

That's not trickle down, trickle down has to do with companys, producing innovations and jobs ...thats the theory anyways.

Uh oh thinking about it some more you may be right and I am wrong.

I hope I am wrong Bear.. but I saw it with my own eyes. It is unaffordable for anyone to live here unless if you owned a home prior ( which I do and could never afford it now ) or a rich person..

Some do live with 10 people in one apartment.. and flip burgers

.San Jose homeless: Seniors on the streets in housing crisis

That reminds me even in Chicago before I left I read so many story's about senior citizens owning their own homes but had to move because they couldn't afford the property tax, but I thought California capped them?

My taxes go up to help the schools , and community..

This is leftism, they tax and tax and tax, spend and spend and spend then it hits a breaking point and people say fuck you.

Then the left sits there and scratches their asses wondering why
How much did the right squander on 2 senseless wars (one which was started with lies)? Now you want a wall to cower behind.
You still quoting that bullshit? Lol, get a life.
I`m still quoting it because it`s still true. Why do righties want free stuff all the time?

That's what they want you to believe, I know you and your husband is kind of rich, you put kids going to college you just bought a cool looking car (a trade up from your soccer mom van days) you spend your time helping people ...

But in reality you are paying taxes for huge public pensions

When city retirement pays better than the job

One in four El Monte residents lives in poverty. Yet taxpayers pay a steep price to fund bonus pensions and other perks for city workers.

The retired city manager of El Monte collects more than $216,000 a year, plus cost-of-living increases and fully paid health insurance.

“It’s giving me an opportunity to do a number of things I didn’t get to do when I was younger, like travel to Europe, take some things off my bucket list,” Mussenden, 66, said recently. He even flew to Scotland to play the famed Old Course at St. Andrews, a mecca for golf enthusiasts.

Mussenden recognizes that few Americans have pensions anymore — least of all the El Monte taxpayers who are funding his retirement. So while he enjoys his monthly retirement check, he’s discreet about it.

“The guys I play golf with, they get very angry about my pension because they don’t have anything like it,” he said.

Actually, Mussenden has twopensions. He’s part of a coterie of former El Monte civil servants who receive one taxpayer-funded pension through the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) — and a second through a “supplemental” plan approved by the city council in 2000.

The extra pensions, along with other sweeteners granted to El Monte employees over the years, have created one of the heaviest public pension burdens of any city in California, a Los Angeles Times investigation found.

El Monte’s retirement costs totaled $16.5 million this year. That’s equal to 28% of the city’s general fund. Among California’s 10 largest cities, only San Jose paid as much toward retirement costs relative to its general fund. Los Angeles spends 20% of its general fund on retirement costs.

This is leftism, they tax and tax and tax, spend and spend and spend then it hits a breaking point and people say fuck you.

How much did the right squander on 2 senseless wars (one which was started with lies)? Now you want a wall to cower behind.
I`m still quoting it because it`s still true. Why do righties want free stuff all the time?

It's not true...and all you are doing is parroting

That was debunked years ago. Republicans pay for the stuff you receive for free.

That's what they want you to believe, I know you and your husband is kind of rich, you put kids going to college you just bought a cool looking car (a trade up from your soccer mom van days) you spend your time helping people ...

One in four El Monte residents lives in poverty. Yet taxpayers pay a steep price to fund bonus pensions and other perks for city workers.

The retired city manager of El Monte collects more than $216,000 a year, plus cost-of-living increases and fully paid health insurance.

“It’s giving me an opportunity to do a number of things I didn’t get to do when I was younger, like travel to Europe, take some things off my bucket list,” Mussenden, 66, said recently. He even flew to Scotland to play the famed Old Course at St. Andrews, a mecca for golf enthusiasts.

Mussenden recognizes that few Americans have pensions anymore — least of all the El Monte taxpayers who are funding his retirement. So while he enjoys his monthly retirement check, he’s discreet about it.

“The guys I play golf with, they get very angry about my pension because they don’t have anything like it,” he said.

Actually, Mussenden has twopensions. He’s part of a coterie of former El Monte civil servants who receive one taxpayer-funded pension through the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) — and a second through a “supplemental” plan approved by the city council in 2000.

The extra pensions, along with other sweeteners granted to El Monte employees over the years, have created one of the heaviest public pension burdens of any city in California, a Los Angeles Times investigation found.

El Monte’s retirement costs totaled $16.5 million this year. That’s equal to 28% of the city’s general fund. Among California’s 10 largest cities, only San Jose paid as much toward retirement costs relative to its general fund. Los Angeles spends 20% of its general fund on retirement costs.

What kind of car was it (you deserved it btw) a $50,000 grand camaro , a charger?

You could of bought 10 of those if you didn't pay such high taxes, how do you think rednecks can buy $20,000 bass boats, $5,000 plus ATVs , guns , ammo only making $12 bucks plus an hour?

I didn't even pay attention to that part of the story, Los Angeles pays 20% of its general fund on retirement costs???? And all they are doing is importing poor illegals into their community, what are they that insane just to get votes?

LOL Keep it up California and every business making more than one million will leave your shit hole state

It violates the state Constitution and McCarthy lacks the power to change that.

BUT this just shows what greedy scumbags these Communists are.

iu

in the Medieval times they taxed so much that the communities/society/etc went to hell
they need to CUT taxes!! especially the Federal government

All of those companies will leave the state.

They will have no choice, but I think this is all a dog and pony show as it will probably never pass.

If I have a widget company here in Ohio and my competitor who makes widgets is in CA, it won't be long before I steal all of their customers. The only two choices they would have is close down or move out of CA.

What liberals fail to realize is that these tax cuts are spread around. Some are giving their employees raises and bonuses, some are making investments in their own company. Some are lowering prices or maintaining their prices on products or services. It's something liberals hate called Trickle Down.

I use Verizon and called about a problem I was having with foreign phone solicitors. She couldn't help me on that front, but out of the blue, asked me if I wanted an extra gig of data time? Okay.......what's the catch? There was no catch. Not only did I get the extra gig of data, but she dropped my cell phone bill by ten bucks a month besides.

Does this have to do with the tax cuts? I can't say for sure and she didn't know either. But even though they have made attractive offers in the past, I never got more and paid less until this tax cut became law.

In response to Trumps tax cut bill, these idiots are actually going to increase taxes on business. There's no stupid like California liberal stupid.

California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state

California lawmakers are targeting the expected windfall that companies in the state would see under the federal tax overhaul with a bill that would require businesses to turn over half to the state.

A proposed Assembly Constitutional Amendment by Assemblymen Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, would create a tax surcharge on California companies making more than $1 million so that half of their federal tax cut would instead go to programs that benefit low-income and middle-class families.

“Trump’s tax reform plan was nothing more than a middle-class tax increase,” Ting said in a statement. “It is unconscionable to force working families to pay the price for tax breaks and loopholes benefiting corporations and wealthy individuals. This bill will help blunt the impact of the federal tax plan on everyday Californians by protecting funding for education, affordable health care, and other core priorities.”

As a constitutional amendment, the bill would require approval from two-thirds of the Legislature to pass, a difficult hurdle now that Democrats have lost their supermajority. If passed and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, it would then go to voters for final approval.

Fucking California thinks they run America, we really got to get those assholes out of the Union

What about the hawt broads?

There are companies that have already given raises based on that federal tax cut. They will not be able to afford to give half that back to the states. They can't raise state taxes that much on the working class. They will leave the state. Instead of getting a raise, these people will end up unemployed and the state will blame republicans. Seen this shit before.

I am convinced not one liberal in elected office in America has ever spent one minute in an economics class.

If Cali takes half of the federal tax savings, many corporations will leave.

When will the stoned assholes running that state understand this?

They are losing 500,000 residents per year, 5million in the past decade and those people left with tens of billions in income that California can no longer tax.

Cali keeps importing a parasite underclass and the state is running out fo people to tax.

Fucking brilliant....morons.

It's a shame because a few decades ago it was a great place to live. Then it got hijacked by the most deeply psychotic leftists who ran it into the ground so it's the train wreck it is today. Actually it's like a circus train derailing and plowing through two flea markets and a Mardi Gras parade, for the type of mess that leftists caused.

Forum List

Back