California Bill Would Ban 'Sexual Orientation' Psychotherapy

M.D. Rawlings

Classical Liberal
May 26, 2011
Heavenly Places
by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012
BREITBART: BIG GOVERNMENT

Parents could not enroll their children in psychotherapy with regard to sexual behavior, and children and teens could not give their consent to such psychotherapy. Children and teens can get an abortion without parental consent, but they apparently cannot consent to “sexual orientation” psychotherapy.

READ MORE

California statists are poised to assault parental authority and moral conscious again. . . .

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

Parents could not enroll their children in psychotherapy with regard to sexual behavior, and children and teens could not give their consent to such psychotherapy. Children and teens can get an abortion without parental consent, but they apparently cannot consent to “sexual orientation” psychotherapy.

READ MORE

California statists are poised to assault parental authority and moral conscious again. . . .

Although I think psychotherapy for gay people is weird, cultish, run by paranoid bigotted nutbag fanatics who are worthless individuals, and just plain wrong, I think banning the whole thing alltogether may be a step too far.

I don’t think that parents should be allowed to “force” their children into gay psychotherapy, but if the kid is 17 – for instance – and really wants to do this (for whatever the hell reason), I say that should be up to him/her.

Last edited:
by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Although I think psychotherapy for gay people is weird, cultish, run by paranoid bigotted nutbag fanatics who are worthless individuals, and just plain wrong, I think banning the whole thing alltogether may be a step too far.

I don’t think that parents should be allowed to “force” their children into gay psychotherapy, but if the kid is 17 – for instance – and really wants to do this (for whatever the hell reason), I say that should be up to him/her.

May be a step too far? Are you kidding me? It's insane.

In any event, you're saying that the state should be empowered to force your morality--i.e., the opinion that "psychotherapy for gay people is weird, cultish, run by paranoid bigotted nutbag fanatics who are worthless individuals, and just plain wrong--on the parental authority of others with regard to children who are not yours.

That's insane too.

And where precisely do you find the justification for this in natural or constitutiona law?

Last edited:
"Do no harm". It is the fundamental principle of the healing arts. Imagine, as a heterosexual, your parents forcing you to undergo psychotherapy or even counseling with a Rabbbi, Pastor or Priest wherein your urges toward the opposite sex are questioned by those in authority?

"Do no harm". It is the fundamental principle of the healing arts. Imagine, as a heterosexual, your parents forcing you to undergo psychotherapy or even counseling with a Rabbbi, Pastor or Priest wherein your urges toward the opposite sex are questioned by those in authority?

Huh? Given that human sexuality and reproduction is undisputedly heterosexual, persons of commonsense would not be involved in any such thing. That's the sort of thing that PC leftists would go for.

For example: Glee Celebrates Gender Rejection

Your analogy is silly and presupposes that a moral, philosophical and/or political opinion is scientific.

Regardless of one's personal opinion/morality, we should all be apalled by this sort of tyranny.

Last edited:
by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

How far have the calif democrats confused children about their orientation that they need therapy? Damn............

It is weird (and twisted) I agree, but I don't think the government should be playing a role here. Even though I don't agree with the paranoid and homophobic psychotherapy itself, I just don't like the idea of government legislating morality, because in the future these sorts of precedents could be used for less favorable purposes.

Last edited:
by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

What's their position on "sexual orientation obsession" psychotherapy?

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Prescription: "reduce bible intake"

It is weird (and twisted) I agree, but I don't think the government should be playing a role here. Even though I don't agree with the paranoid and homophobic psychotherapy itself, I just don't like the idea of government legislating morality, because in the future these sorts of precedents could be used for less favorable purposes.

But in the above you implied that it was okay for the government to usurp parental authority.

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Prescription: "reduce bible intake"

Can't hurt.

But in the above you implied that it was okay for the government to usurp parental authority.

It's a touchy subject. In this case, I'd say no government intervention.

But should there be limits on what parents can or cannot do to their children?

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Are you defending the state making medical decisions instead of leaving them between the doctor and patient?

Are you saying it is permissible for the state to interfere in a doctor patient relationship?

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Although I think psychotherapy for gay people is weird, cultish, run by paranoid bigotted nutbag fanatics who are worthless individuals, and just plain wrong, I think banning the whole thing all together may be a step too far.

Are you defending the state making medical decisions instead of leaving them between the doctor and patient?

My quote clearly stated that I don't think the government should get involved here, despite the idiocy, harmfulness, and obsessively homophobic nature of the therapy.

Last edited:
Although I think psychotherapy for gay people is weird, cultish, run by paranoid bigotted nutbag fanatics who are worthless individuals, and just plain wrong, I think banning the whole thing all together may be a step too far.

My quote clearly stated that I don't think the government should get involved here, despite the idiocy of the therapy.

You have a problem with this law specifically, but you seem to think that the concept is permissible, which is why I asked the question. After all, you did say a step to far, unless someone else put that in your post and highlighted it.

by Ben Shapiro
April 26, 2012

READ MORE

Reparative therapy is not a medically accepted procedure and has been deemed harmful by medical and scientific experts.

California is not the only place seeking to ban reparative therapy.

British Medical Association labels gay conversion therapy harmful, discredited | Secular News Daily
Following a year-long undercover investigation by a reporter, the British Medical Association has determined that “gay conversion therapy” is not therapy, is more harmful to patients than helpful, and should be banned.

It will probably be added to the list of things Obamacare does not want to pay for. Sex changes are covered though, right?

Reparative therapy is not a medically accepted procedure and has been deemed harmful by medical and scientific experts.

California is not the only place seeking to ban reparative therapy.

British Medical Association labels gay conversion therapy harmful, discredited | Secular News Daily
Following a year-long undercover investigation by a reporter, the British Medical Association has determined that “gay conversion therapy” is not therapy, is more harmful to patients than helpful, and should be banned.

Do you see it as one sided, or dealing with real therapy, even if it has no effect on orientation?

Forum List

Back