California Becomes First State To Ban 'Redskins' Team Name

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
CRDgrwGVAAA4SjA.jpg

"This issue is not going away."

California became the first state to ban public schools from using "Redskins" as a team name, nickname or mascot on Sunday in a move applauded by Native American activists.

Signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D), the California Racial Mascots Act, authored by Assemblyman Luis Alejo (D), outlaws schools' use of the slur effective Jan. 1, 2017.

Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and National Congress of American Indians Executive Director Jackie Pata, who lead the advocacy group Change the Mascot, praised Alejo and Brown in a joint statement.

“They have set a shining example for other states across the country, and for the next generation, by demonstrating a commitment to the American ideals of inclusion and mutual respect," they wrote.

"The most populous state in the country has now taken a stand against the use of this insidious slur in its schools, and Change the Mascot expects more states to follow."

"Their historic step to build a better future stands in stark contrast to the dogged inaction of Washington’s NFL team, which in the face of all the evidence that this term degrades and offends Native Americans, continues to defend and promote the slur for its own financial gain," they wrote. "This landmark legislation eliminating the R-word in California schools clearly demonstrates that this issue is not going away, and that opposition to the Washington team on this issue is only intensifying. The NFL should act immediately to press the team to change the name.”

Thank you Governor Jerry Brown and Assemblyman Luis Alejo. Also thanks to Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and National Congress of American Indians Executive Director Jackie Pata for keeping up the pressure.

The Racist Redskins

Last edited:
WOW. I knew California was full of cowards, pacifists and history revisionists but I never really expected their Government to SURRENDER to an enemy we'd conquered a century ago.

WOW. I knew California was full of cowards, pacifists and history revisionists but I never really expected their Government to SURRENDER to an enemy we'd conquered a century ago.

Well, all you ignorant white racists can celebrate Columbus Day tomorrow. That should make you all feel better...and superior. Columbus Day for Native Americans is a day of mourning.

I guess their Government has all the other problems they have created on the people all solved and it's now become a UTOPIA. hey it's only YOUR MONEY. let them do with it as they wish I guess

The only thing the OP has pointed out here is how easy it is for California democrats to waste the time and money of tax payers.

Yeah, taxpayer money could be much better spent trying to repeal Obamacare - for the 60th time.

Well, all you ignorant white racists can celebrate Columbus Day tomorrow. That should make you all feel better...and superior. Columbus Day for Native Americans is a day of mourning.
When I read your posts I regret that we didn't kill them all.

Growing up as a kid that was my favorite team because of the name...

Why did they name the team after a loser race of people anyways?

They should name the team after winners, the Whiteskins

What happens now? When the Washington Redskins play in the peoples republik of California they become the Washington xxxxers? Does the 1st Amendment apply to the use of the word "Redskins" or have the Stalinists taken over the Country?

Cry me a river. If they were as concerned as they are now 350 years ago, they'd be in better shape. They list the war and theur right to complain. To the Victor go the Spoils.

As for tomorrow..... I will "celebrate" by getting up at 4:30, going to work for 10 hours, and then having to watch a niece and three nephews for most of the evening. Not exactly a Holiday in my book.

What happens now? When the Washington Redskins play in the peoples republik of California they become the Washington xxxxers?

The same thing that happened in Minnesota last year. They are just referred to as Washington. They don't play in CA this year so not an issue yet.

CRDgrwGVAAA4SjA.jpg

"This issue is not going away."

California became the first state to ban public schools from using "Redskins" as a team name, nickname or mascot on Sunday in a move applauded by Native American activists.

Signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D), the California Racial Mascots Act, authored by Assemblyman Luis Alejo (D), outlaws schools' use of the slur effective Jan. 1, 2017.

Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and National Congress of American Indians Executive Director Jackie Pata, who lead the advocacy group Change the Mascot, praised Alejo and Brown in a joint statement.

“They have set a shining example for other states across the country, and for the next generation, by demonstrating a commitment to the American ideals of inclusion and mutual respect," they wrote.

"The most populous state in the country has now taken a stand against the use of this insidious slur in its schools, and Change the Mascot expects more states to follow."

"Their historic step to build a better future stands in stark contrast to the dogged inaction of Washington’s NFL team, which in the face of all the evidence that this term degrades and offends Native Americans, continues to defend and promote the slur for its own financial gain," they wrote. "This landmark legislation eliminating the R-word in California schools clearly demonstrates that this issue is not going away, and that opposition to the Washington team on this issue is only intensifying. The NFL should act immediately to press the team to change the name.”

Thank you Governor Jerry Brown and Assemblyman Luis Alejo. Also thanks to Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and National Congress of American Indians Executive Director Jackie Pata for keeping up the pressure.

Pussy California caves in to pussy injuns.

You don't know Jerry Brown (AKA Governor Moonbeam).

Forum List

Back