California anti tobacco ad....

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
just saw a California anti tobacco ad....put put by Tobacco free Ca.com...

you can see it here

Stages

seems , I don't know kind of hinky to me...made me wonder, what would cali do without all that tobacco money they have used from day one, not for what the settlement was for, but lumping it into the general fund for all sorts of crap....

The original surgeon general's report like everything that came out of LBJ's White House was poilitically motivated. Long chain fibercigarette filters kill and that has been known since the 1920s (from congressional investigation of brown lung in textile workers). But instead of banning known lethal filters which would have alienated the Baptists and LDS LBJ deemphasized that and started the anti-tobacco campaign. His surgeon general also started the anti-egg campaign and helped promote trans-fats in margarine to punish violations of his price guidelines. I am wondering how soon Woody Allen will be vindicated and tobacco use is promoted for its health benefits.

The original surgeon general's report like everything that came out of LBJ's White House was poilitically motivated. Long chain fibercigarette filters kill and that has been known since the 1920s (from congressional investigation of brown lung in textile workers). But instead of banning known lethal filters which would have alienated the Baptists and LDS LBJ deemphasized that and started the anti-tobacco campaign. His surgeon general also started the anti-egg campaign and helped promote trans-fats in margarine to punish violations of his price guidelines.

I am wondering how soon Woody Allen will be vindicated and tobacco use is promoted for its health benefits.

well, with the coming of obamacare, the "Ghoul defense" might make a comeback. :eusa_whistle:

* The states this year will collect $25.3 billion from the tobacco settlement and tobacco taxes, but will spend just two percent of it – $517.9 million – on tobacco prevention programs.
* States have cut funding for tobacco prevention programs by nine percent ($51.4 million) in the past year and by 28 percent ($199.3 million) in the past three years.
* Only two states – Alaska and North Dakota – currently fund tobacco prevention programs at the CDC-recommended level.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/150866-california-anti-tobacco-ad.html

No wonder CA wants to ban Happy Meals. If they can successfully sue McDonald's, they can use 98% of the money to fund medical marijuana for illegal aliens.

That ad is WORTHLESS if it was meant to stop kids from starting to smoke.

I'm telling yas, the SMOKING STINKS advertisment was the most effective AD campaign ever designed to keep KIDS from starting.

Kids cannot imagine their death. They cannot imagine serious illness.

But what they CAN imgine and what they truly fear is SOCIAL REJECTION.

And that avenue works especially well since SMOKING STINKS.

They have seen million of us smoke and NOT have holes in our neck.

But they have never experienced a smoker who did not STINK.

You are right. Teens are more concerned with vanity and "right now" vs. what might happen 30 years down the road. They believe they are immortal. Adolescent Psych. 101.

That ad is WORTHLESS if it was meant to stop kids from starting to smoke.

I'm telling yas, the SMOKING STINKS advertisment was the most effective AD campaign ever designed to keep KIDS from starting.

Kids cannot imagine their death. They cannot imagine serious illness.

But what they CAN imgine and what they truly fear is SOCIAL REJECTION.

And that avenue works especially well since SMOKING STINKS.

They have seen million of us smoke and NOT have holes in our neck.

But they have never experienced a smoker who did not STINK.

I agree that it may not be the most effective way to convey the message. My 'upset;' is the hypocrisy employed in that they have been spending money that was, from what I understand to be used for anti- smoking and health related issues but as part of the general fund. I don't know what the breakdown is but I know they have been spending the money for more than just what I thought the settlement stipulated.

Add to that an Ohio court just okayed their spending tobacco money not just on the settlement issue(d) but can now be added to their general fund too.

How Can the Money Be Spent? The tobacco settlement agreement places no restrictions on the use of the monies by the states. Similarly, California's MOU with local governments contains no restrictions.

Many of the state and local lawsuits (including California's) had sought recovery from the tobacco companies of the tobacco-related health care costs (such as Medi-Cal) incurred by states and local governments. The settlement agreement and California's MOU with the local governments do not specify that any of the financial payments by the companies are to reimburse state and local governments for such costs.

Absent specific action by the Legislature, the funds received by the state from the settlement would be deposited into the General Fund. Because the money is not a proceed of taxes, it would not be counted as revenues for purposes of calculating the minimum guarantee under Proposition 98.

What Will It Mean for California? The Tobacco Settlement

How Can the Money Be Spent? The tobacco settlement agreement places no restrictions on the use of the monies by the states. Similarly, California's MOU with local governments contains no restrictions.

Many of the state and local lawsuits (including California's) had sought recovery from the tobacco companies of the tobacco-related health care costs (such as Medi-Cal) incurred by states and local governments. The settlement agreement and California's MOU with the local governments do not specify that any of the financial payments by the companies are to reimburse state and local governments for such costs.

Absent specific action by the Legislature, the funds received by the state from the settlement would be deposited into the General Fund. Because the money is not a proceed of taxes, it would not be counted as revenues for purposes of calculating the minimum guarantee under Proposition 98.

What Will It Mean for California? The Tobacco Settlement

I am shocked there were no provisions for use. I saw an article for the Ohio quote. What was the point of the lawsuit then? as to the award? just to punish them? I assume then that each state has its own agreement with tobacco?

just saw a California anti tobacco ad....put put by Tobacco free Ca.com...

you can see it here

Stages

seems , I don't know kind of hinky to me...made me wonder, what would cali do without all that tobacco money they have used from day one, not for what the settlement was for, but lumping it into the general fund for all sorts of crap....

It's a good example of what the bulk of laws and regulations do: criminalize or marginalize personal behavior in order to control people and have a pretext for taxes, fees, and fines.

Forum List

Back