CA Highway Patrol To Peer Into Driver Windows To Catch Cell Phone Use...

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by paulitician, Dec 29, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    And the march towards absolute Authoritarian-rule continues.

Cellphone talkers and texters, beware. California Highway Patrol officers around Sacramento have special marching orders on Friday and Saturday:

Find you and ticket you.

"If someone is driving distracted, we want officers to issue citations," said CHP spokesman Adrian Quintero.

Also on Friday, plainclothes officers and volunteers with clipboards will be stationed on foot at several major intersections around Sacramento, peering into passing car windows and noting the types of distracted driving they see.

Similar tallies will be taken in the Auburn and Stockton areas. They won't be ticketing. They'll be gathering data to be forwarded to the California Office of Traffic Safety as part of an emerging statewide campaign to understand and combat distracted driving.

Read more here: CHP plans 24-hour crackdown on drivers using cellphones - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee
    DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Good.

3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    So you think the Cops should have to Enforce the Laws we pass, with out being able to look through a windshield?

lol

4. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Not good.

5. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Too sick for a cure

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Think "revenue enhancement." California needs the money.

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    It's against the law.... it's not like they are using X-ray machines to peer into an area not visible to the naked eye... it's thru fucking clear windows...

Nothing wrong with this at all... and believe me, it's not like I uphold stances of Cali all that often

7. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    point 1... so do I.

point 2... so? No ticketing will be done while 'peering' through the windows gathering data.

8. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    I wonder how much being a professional civilian snitch pays?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yes good. Nothing in the constitution about using a cell phone while driving.

I want drivers around me concentrating on driving not texting/talking on a cell phone.

10. Clementine

Clementine Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,721
    I see people on cell phones all the time and really don't look for it. I just notice when someone pulls out in front of me that they have a phone to their ear.

In this case, the people on the street corners are looking for any signs of distraction. It's beyond upholding the law, but rather looking for other things to outlaw.

Distracted drivers do cause accidents, though for years people have done things in their cars other than drive. I see people eating, putting on makeup or otherwise focusing on something other than the road.

I foresee a law that bans any type of distraction, though many times it can't be avoided. We're human and unusual things will always distract us. I believe there are laws against certain things that tend to distract drivers now. Common sense tells us not to deliberately do something that takes our attention off the task at hand, but it's obvious that common sense really isn't so common these days when you look around. Some only know what government tells them, so rather than think on their own, they wait for orders.

I think this latest effort is simply an attempt to ticket more people and rake in more money in fines because cities and states are going broke. Many have already cut police and fire depts and they are struggling to keep things going. States have obligations to the ever-growing welfare crowd and they have to come up with money somehow.

So, everyone, grab your cell phones and contribute to the state's coffers. It's your duty.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011