By far my best audio work. | Hey Dude, don't be afraid...

Feb 28, 2009
...Take a great song, and make it better...

I took the Isaac Hayes "Theme from Shaft" from 1971 and made it digital, then cut it up and re-mixed it. For those who know it well, this expanded edition will be a shock to hear. I layered in some additional instrumentation, really tweaked the sound, and added 5.1 encoding. It's now more than one minute longer than the original as well.

It is as crystal clear and clean as it can be made, NO noise or distortion. The sound quality beats the most recent digital retail version by miles.

So, click below and enjoy, "Shaft" for 2011. It's 10MB, so may take awhile to download. You can stream it with either Winamp or Windows Media Player, or any other media player, by pasting the link in.

...and RIP Isaac....

Theme from Shaft -- Isaac Hayes -- Digitally enhanced, expanded and remastered | Excellence in Podcasting Networks

• Banned
The isolation on the horns in the beginning is nice. Had not really paid attention to them before.
There was no emphasis.

I worked really hard to bring everything out as much as possible. I had really good source material for this, kindly provided by an old associate.

It sounds good i dont know it well enough to be shocked by the content.
Original version had a much longer intro, and the loud horns in the new intro are actually the same ones originally used at the end. Folks familiar with this song don't expect to hear those at that point, and it still gives me a little start when they suddenly blow in.

The middle buildup starting at the 2:10 mark is greatly expanded, repeating some parts but also blending his different versions of this gradually, until everything he had is all there in one track, plus extra horns and strings courtesy of my MIDI processor.

This was hours of work, but it was really fun to work with this material.

For those interested, I shot a video of me working the final mixdown... Unfortunately it doesn't show any of the finely detailed tedious work to get to this point, but it's a look at my setup and how everything works.

85MB on this, but it will stream in WMP as well:

"Shaft" studio work video | Excellence in Podcasting Networks

Oh I know how that goes. 14-18 hours in a sound studio ain't fun.
I only had about ten hours on this, over three days. It's much easier to work with existing material rather than live performers, which can be a major pain in the ass. BUT.... That's why I charge by the hour!

...Take a great song, and make it better...

I took the Isaac Hayes "Theme from Shaft" from 1971 and made it digital, then cut it up and re-mixed it. For those who know it well, this expanded edition will be a shock to hear. I layered in some additional instrumentation, really tweaked the sound, and added 5.1 encoding. It's now more than one minute longer than the original as well.

It is as crystal clear and clean as it can be made, NO noise or distortion. The sound quality beats the most recent digital retail version by miles.

So, click below and enjoy, "Shaft" for 2011. It's 10MB, so may take awhile to download. You can stream it with either Winamp or Windows Media Player, or any other media player, by pasting the link in.

...and RIP Isaac....

Theme from Shaft -- Isaac Hayes -- Digitally enhanced, expanded and remastered | Excellence in Podcasting Networks
:clap2: Awesome work, and a wonderful tribute!

Forum List

Back