But I only want new stuff, Mr. Aid Worker

speederdoc said:
First off....they ARE second class citizens. If they don't have a car or money to procure transportation out of a dangerous floodzone, and they don't have money to buy clothes themselves, and they need a handout....how could they be first class? They may even be third class. Perhaps my second hand clothes are too good for them.

Honestly, I don't think the evacuees really care. It must be a Red Cross issue.

Probably is a Red Cross issue. I'm sure they have toys for tots programs all over the country. A few years back they switched to a new toys only policy. It seems people were simply giving them junk. As far as them being second or third class people, damn it they are people. Mixed in with the thugs from the Superdome was a nurse I knew from Charity hospital. I haven't heard from her since the Katrina. I pray she wasn't a victim of rape etc..

rcajun90 said:
Probably is a Red Cross issue. I'm sure they have toys for tots programs all over the country. A few years back they switched to a new toys only policy. It seems people were simply giving them junk. As far as them being second or third class people, damn it they are people. Mixed in with the thugs from the Superdome was a nurse I knew from Charity hospital. I haven't heard from her since the Katrina. I pray she wasn't a victim of rape etc..

It is a Red Cross issue. my last post in this thread, i stated that i heard (listening to tv in other room) the RC chair person or whomever, say that it is the RC's policy:

from my post (#9)
i heard the actual head person for the red cross say it was their idea, not the victim's, to receive new clothes only. The 2 reasons are, the people have already been victimized. 2nd hand clothes would only make them feel second class, and if someone dropped off clothes that were washed in detergent that someone was allergic to, it could be a lawsuit for the RC....

fuzzykitten99 said:
It is a Red Cross issue. my last post in this thread, i stated that i heard (listening to tv in other room) the RC chair person or whomever, say that it is the RC's policy:

from my post (#9)

In a country where one's economic status is so important these people ARE second class citizens. Those who have chosen to stay that way are comfortable that way but God forbid ANYONE to treat them that way or call them what they really are. It's part of our national denial. The Red Cross HAS to come up with PC reasons for doing what they do. Can you imagine what people would say if they spoke the truth about this welfare population we support? We have to pretend everyone is equal when we all know full well that they are not.

The word class has different meanings. To say that one is in a lower economic class is not to say that they have no class. That is an important distinction.

If someone in this country hasn't the means to evacuate one's family in an emergency, they clearly are not in the first (highest) economic class, and they probably are in the lowest possible class. That does not mean that they have no class, and it does not have to be a derogatory term. It is just stating a fact.

Forum List

Back