But I only want new stuff, Mr. Aid Worker

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Abbey Normal, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    When disaster strikes, Americans clean out their closets. They fill bag after bag with secondhand clothes and send them off by the truckload. Now overloaded relief agencies are saying: Enough.

So many truckloads of clothes have poured into Baton Rouge since Hurricane Katrina that volunteers from the St. Vincent de Paul Society gave away 100,000 pieces of clothing in 10 days, says Mike Acaldo, director of the Baton Rouge chapter. The group's 20,000-square-foot warehouse is still "packed," he says.

In Gulfport, Miss., the county emergency management director has begged kind-hearted donors to stop. Without enough volunteers to distribute them, clothes ended up piled by the roadside and strewn across parking lots...

Relief agencies dread the influx of clothes that inevitably follows a disaster. It takes time and volunteers to sort the items and dispose of things that are unwearable.

The Red Cross doesn't accept donated clothes; it wants cash so those in need can buy new. "It's empowerment, it's their own recovery, and it's a boost to the local economy," spokeswoman Sarah O'Brien says."

--------------
    I can understand how sorting and warehousing clothing can be a pain, but I do not understand the bolded quote above. There were times when I was younger when shopping at thrift stores was necessary. The clothes were in pretty good shape. I didn't feel "powerless" shopping there. Why do evacuees need to feel "empowered" by being given new clothes? Isn't the focus of all the aid supposed to be getting them through a tough time? Perhaps if they would consent to wear nice donated clothing, more aid money could be saved for shelter, food and other necessities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050923/ts_usatoday/citiesburstingatseamswithexcessusedclothes

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    This popular sense of entitlement is nausiating. I mean...geesh...it's pathetic how these whiney poor people are sitting around EXPECTING their government to jump at their command.

You don't have a car, you say? Can't evacuate? Start Walking. I bet in three days you could get 100 miles or farther.

3. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Heck, I still shop at thrift stores especially for baby stuff. Garage sales in my area also do a brisk business. If middle class people can wear used why can't why can't the hurricane victims????? The Red Cross should accept it.

Charities have collected almost a billion dollars for Katrina victims, many are now trying to collect for possible Rita victims since the money donated for katrina can only be spent to help katrina victims. I think this is :bsflag: the money should be used for both.

4. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    yeah why not give them cash so they can go to titty bars and buy expensive clothing and the like. not like they need to be buying food or anything important.

5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Right - food comes from the GOVERNMENT.

6. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    there ya go!

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Well they need to get equipment for their home brewery. What are you heartless?

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    yeah i guess i am. i guess im a bad person because i see getting ones life back in order is a priority, and not shopping for stupid shit. but then again, who am i. i guess after the water goes down everyone needs a big screen tv and new designer handbags to show off.

silly me...lol

9. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i heard the actual head person for the red cross say it was their idea, not the victim's, to receive new clothes only. The 2 reasons are, the people have already been victimized. 2nd hand clothes would only make them feel second class, and if someone dropped off clothes that were washed in detergent that someone was allergic to, it could be a lawsuit for the RC.

I say B as in B...S as in S.

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i guess my concern about them going blind from moonshine is more than their money making ability.