But I only want new stuff, Mr. Aid Worker

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
When disaster strikes, Americans clean out their closets. They fill bag after bag with secondhand clothes and send them off by the truckload. Now overloaded relief agencies are saying: Enough.

So many truckloads of clothes have poured into Baton Rouge since Hurricane Katrina that volunteers from the St. Vincent de Paul Society gave away 100,000 pieces of clothing in 10 days, says Mike Acaldo, director of the Baton Rouge chapter. The group's 20,000-square-foot warehouse is still "packed," he says.

In Gulfport, Miss., the county emergency management director has begged kind-hearted donors to stop. Without enough volunteers to distribute them, clothes ended up piled by the roadside and strewn across parking lots...

Relief agencies dread the influx of clothes that inevitably follows a disaster. It takes time and volunteers to sort the items and dispose of things that are unwearable.

The Red Cross doesn't accept donated clothes; it wants cash so those in need can buy new. "It's empowerment, it's their own recovery, and it's a boost to the local economy," spokeswoman Sarah O'Brien says."

--------------
I can understand how sorting and warehousing clothing can be a pain, but I do not understand the bolded quote above. There were times when I was younger when shopping at thrift stores was necessary. The clothes were in pretty good shape. I didn't feel "powerless" shopping there. Why do evacuees need to feel "empowered" by being given new clothes? Isn't the focus of all the aid supposed to be getting them through a tough time? Perhaps if they would consent to wear nice donated clothing, more aid money could be saved for shelter, food and other necessities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050923/ts_usatoday/citiesburstingatseamswithexcessusedclothes

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
This popular sense of entitlement is nausiating. I mean...geesh...it's pathetic how these whiney poor people are sitting around EXPECTING their government to jump at their command.

You don't have a car, you say? Can't evacuate? Start Walking. I bet in three days you could get 100 miles or farther.

Heck, I still shop at thrift stores especially for baby stuff. Garage sales in my area also do a brisk business. If middle class people can wear used why can't why can't the hurricane victims????? The Red Cross should accept it.

Charities have collected almost a billion dollars for Katrina victims, many are now trying to collect for possible Rita victims since the money donated for katrina can only be spent to help katrina victims. I think this is :bsflag: the money should be used for both.

yeah why not give them cash so they can go to titty bars and buy expensive clothing and the like. not like they need to be buying food or anything important.

Johnney said:
yeah why not give them cash so they can go to titty bars and buy expensive clothing and the like. not like they need to be buying food or anything important.

Well they need to get equipment for their home brewery. What are you heartless?

no1tovote4 said:
Well they need to get equipment for their home brewery. What are you heartless?
yeah i guess i am. i guess im a bad person because i see getting ones life back in order is a priority, and not shopping for stupid shit. but then again, who am i. i guess after the water goes down everyone needs a big screen tv and new designer handbags to show off.

silly me...lol

i heard the actual head person for the red cross say it was their idea, not the victim's, to receive new clothes only. The 2 reasons are, the people have already been victimized. 2nd hand clothes would only make them feel second class, and if someone dropped off clothes that were washed in detergent that someone was allergic to, it could be a lawsuit for the RC.

I say B as in B...S as in S.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i heard the actual head person for the red cross say it was their idea, not the victim's, to receive new clothes only. The 2 reasons are, the people have already been victimized. 2nd hand clothes would only make them feel second class, and if someone dropped off clothes that were washed in detergent that someone was allergic to, it could be a lawsuit for the RC.

I say B as in B...S as in S.

The logistics in collecting, washing, sorting, etc is awesome. TEMPORARILY new clothes are much better and actually cheaper but in the LONG term used clothing will be great for folks who need them or need the money from the sale of donated clothes.

Why do volunteers have to sort through them? Why not have the people the clothes are going to sort through them? That way they can choose for themselves what they want. That and they arent sitting around.

Why do volunteers have to sort through them? Why not have the people the clothes are going to sort through them? That way they can choose for themselves what they want. That and they arent sitting around.

MOB SCENE !!!!--no thanks--people would be literally trampled to death

I have a friend who decided one day to bring some very nice clothing to a women's shelter in the city. They were her mother's clothes, and I can tell you they were quality items, sent to the cleaners, and in excellent shape.
While she was still there, a couple of the women came out and started going through the clothes, and tossed them aside, complaining, "I don't wear sh!t like this."

That story really stuck with her, and with me. Regardless of your taste in fashion, (or housing, or whatever) I will never understand how those with their hand out feel entitled to complain, and to reject that which is given to them in kindness and compassion.

I don't think I buy the Red Cross' time-consuming argument as an excuse for wasting donated money. They are there anyway, they can sort clothes. It's not complicated or delicate work. And as someone said, there are thousands of victims with nothing much to do. Pick out a few dozen of the more able-bodied, and have them help do the sorting. I think the Red Cross is suffering from the misguided but popular PC idea that "empowerment" is more important than anything else.

Johnney said:

you said that like titty bars are a bad thing.....now that is just wrong

First off....they ARE second class citizens. If they don't have a car or money to procure transportation out of a dangerous floodzone, and they don't have money to buy clothes themselves, and they need a handout....how could they be first class? They may even be third class. Perhaps my second hand clothes are too good for them.

Honestly, I don't think the evacuees really care. It must be a Red Cross issue.

manu1959 said:
you said that like titty bars are a bad thing.....now that is just wrong
well when some of them are using money given to them for food and clothing and a small start at getting back on their feet, then they go to the titty bars, and by louis viton and the like...

but no titty bars a great!

Forum List

Back