Bush's Last Year by the Numbers

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Think Progress » 2008: Bush’s Last Year By The Numbers

– Number Of U.S. Troops Killed in Iraq: 322.
– Number Of U.S. Troops Killed in Afghanistan: 151.
– Number Of Jobs Lost: 1.9 million.
– Number Of Banks Federal Government Now Owns Stock In: 206.
– Number Of Uninsured Americans: 47.5 million.

– Change In Housing Prices: declined 18 percent.
– Change In Health Insurance Premiums: increased 5 percent.
– Change In Number Of Delinquent Mortgages: increased 75 percent.
– Change In Use Of Food Stamps: increased 17 percent.
– Change In Dow Jones Industrial Average: declined 35 percent.
– Change In Bush Approval Rating: declined 9 percent to 29 percent.

If 09 gives us something to look forward to, no more President Bush would be one of those.

If 09 gives us something to look forward to, no more President Bush would be one of those.

Worst possible scenario is that in four years we are all wishing Bush was still in office. Let's hope that is not the case.

The forces that are presently in motion may well mean that the next four years will be very bad, no matter what the President does. It is how he alleviates the affects of the Depression for the average American that will decide the success or failure of his Presidency.

I can't fathom today's economic systems being as hard to right as the systems in the 30s. We are a global economy, that inherently means we have more diversity to find solutions to our problems.

And we've been through this sort of correction before, and so have a lot of experience to draw from, not to mention more educated and trained economists etc and know-how on that sort of stuff in general.

And, most of the people I talk with are very optimistic that 2009 will be an improvement.

It has been a global economy for nearly 1000 years now. Yep Bush spent the last 2 years acting even more like a Democrat than he did the first 6 and you clowns are complaining. There isn't but one thing going to fix this and it isn't borrowing more money from the Chinese to give to people so they can make one more mortgage payment on a house they should never have bought anyway.

For what it is worth more people are killed in Detroit every year than we've lost in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Last edited:
It has been a global economy for nearly 1000 years now. Yep Bush spent the last 2 years acting even more like a Democrat than he did the first 6 and you clowns are complaining. There isn't but one thing going to fix this and it isn't borrowing more money from the Chinese to give to people so they can make one more mortgage payment on a house they should never have bought anyway.

For what it is worth more people are killed in Detroit every year than we've lost in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

No, Bush acted like Reagan....borrow and spend.

Reagan and Bush are responsible for 90% of the National Debt.

ReaganBushDebt.org

Don't blame Bush! My first reaction to your thread robert, is simply to report what conservatives have told me.

If liberals had just shut up, not complained, and not whined about how Bush's policies wouldn't have worked, then bush's policies would have worked.

Liberals undermined Bush.

It has been a global economy for nearly 1000 years now.

I think it is fair to say that the economy is much more integrated today between nations than in 1930.

Same argument can be made that the number killed on 9/11 is roughly the same number of americans that die on a single day.

If liberals had just shut up, not complained, and not whined about how Bush's policies wouldn't have worked, then bush's policies would have worked.

what? Bush's policies were liberal. No Child Left Behind, Medicare Drug, increasing spending at twice the rate Clinton did. Guy was the biggest liberal to sit in the Oval Office since Jimmy Carter.

most of the people I talk with are very optimistic that 2009 will be an improvement.

stock market already thinks so

will help to see the return of GOP congressman fighting spending bills instead of supporting them, as they did the last 8 years with Karl Rove threatening to cut their campaign funding if they didn't support W's massive spending bills

Precisely swing vote. As I've said many times before the only things Bush got right were the tax cuts and ending the war with Saddam that his daddy began.

Oh and Reagan had a Deomcratically controlled congress for all but two years of his eight and spending bills originate in the house constituionally and that was held by the Democrats for all eight years.

Last edited:

Agree.

I'll bet anyone that under Obama we'll see better job creation and higher stock market returns.

I'm fairly conservative economically, but presidential performance is as much about leadership as it is about right/left, and Bush has been an inconsistent, incoherent idiot.

what? Bush's policies were liberal. No Child Left Behind, Medicare Drug, increasing spending at twice the rate Clinton did. Guy was the biggest liberal to sit in the Oval Office since Jimmy Carter.

Spending trillions of dollars on the Iraq War, on the Pentagon, on constitutionally dubious national security and survellaince apparatus, and giving away medicare money to wall street titans and corporate insurance entities is "liberal"???

I had no idea! Thanks, I'm bailing out on liberal ideology!

Which one is the ideology that believes in curbing the military industrial complex, regulation on wall street and corporate america, and spending our tax dollars on the public good - not on filling corporate coffers?

Last edited:

So if those numbers don't improve under President Obama, then what?

Don't blame Bush! My first reaction to your thread robert, is simply to report what conservatives have told me.

Liberals undermined Bush.

Yep....when things go wrong it's the Liberals fault... like under Bush 41 and 43

when things go right, like under Clinton, it's because of the republican congress......

Yep....when things go wrong it's the Liberals fault... like under Bush 41 and 43

when things go right, like under Clinton, it's because of the republican congress......

Right, that has been the overwhelming consensus. :rolleyes:

Spending trillions of dollars on the Iraq War, on the Pentagon, on constitutionally dubious national security and survellaince apparatus, and giving away medicare money to wall street titans and corporate insurance entities is "liberal"???

I had no idea! Thanks, I'm bailing out on liberal ideology!

Which one is the ideology that believes in curbing the military industrial complex, regulation on wall street and corporate america, and spending our tax dollars on the public good - not on filling corporate coffers?

last pres to expand entitlements like this was LBJ, no pres has ever expanded dept of education like this, no pres ever committed this much to AIDS relief for Africa

if you get over your silly conspiracy theories, you'd see that on domestic policy, GWB gave you all you could ask for, and a lot more liberalism than you got from Clinton

things would not have gone right under Clinton is Hillarycare had passed, which the Dem majority killed, so not really a Republican congress responsible for success, but any congress that stops big spending bills

libs and cons both overestimate presidential power, a strong senate minority leader can have just as much impact on the deficit than the guy in the oval office

Forum List

Back