Bush VS Syria.

N

NewGuy

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=3&u=/nm/20040510/pl_nm/syria_usa_dc

Mon May 10, 9:41 AM ET Add Politics to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) plans this week to impose economic sanctions on Syria for supporting terrorism and failing to stop guerrillas from entering Iraq (news - web sites), people involved in the deliberations said on Monday.

Congressional sources said Bush was expected to curb future investments by American energy firms in Syria and prohibit Syrian aircraft from flying into the United States.

Bush was also expected either to block transactions involving the Syrian government or to ban exports to Syria of U.S. products other than food and medicine, the sources said.

A White House announcement on the sanctions is planned as early as Tuesday.

The move comes after lawmakers, who helped push legislation through Congress last year to sanction Syria, complained that Bush appeared to be appeasing Damascus by not implementing the penalties under the so-called Syria Accountability Act.

The lawmakers, Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Florida Republican, and Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat, said they were preparing legislation for stiffer penalties on Syria and additional measures to isolate and weaken its government.

The Syria Accountability Act, passed by the House and Senate by overwhelming margins, offered Bush a menu of sanctions to punish Damascus for supporting terror groups, failing to stop guerrilla fighters from crossing into Iraq from Syria, developing chemical and perhaps biological weapons, and keeping troops in Lebanon.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: If Syria leaders comply with this they may save the lives of thousands of soldiers and Syrian shields errr I mean civilians.

I hope we do get tough on them. They are not to be trusted. Who knows who they are hiding,not to mention what they are hiding. Hit where it hurts-the wallet,and we will see how the react. Should be interesting.

Sound slike the same damn thing we did to Iraq though. People trying to say we didn't try diplomatic routes on them and just went to war need to reread the history of the 90's. We placed sanctions. We tried all those things for 13 years. But when push came to shove and Sadaam finally called our bluff, we had to go in.

So in short, we do this to Syria and they don't respond, how long before we go in? I hope its not 13 years.

Forum List

Back