Build.

Yep.

Simple as that.

The United States needs to build.

We are a nation of innovators, dreamers, and builders.

Time to shake off the crust and do what we do best.

Build.

build what?

More buildings that can sit empty? More roads that will cost billions over budget?

High speed rail, upgrade the energy grids, upgrade telecommunications infrastructure, hydroelectric dams, wind farms, solar farms, nuclear power plants..etc.

Sheesh..really?

I am all for campaign finance reform..I thought that McCain/Feingold was a great start.

The Citizen's United Decision is a blight on our poltical system.

What's your thoughts on this?
Except for it's violation of the first amendment, the Incumbent Protection Act was an interesting theory.

Citizens United was probably the best thing possible for this nation. After all, why should unions and PACs have all the fun to buy candidates?

But this isn't about campaign finance reform. Nobody in politics wants it, particularly those profiting from the current corrupt system. If you really wanted to fix things and remain constitutional, you'd make all donations "hard" and require them to be openly registered to individuals given directly by a single person open for public scrutiny. No PACs, no organizations, no anonymous money of ANY kind.

Of course if you want to violate the first amendment, bar any and all private money from politics, force everyone to donate 10 dollars per year towards the campaign fund, and have it split equally between all candidates running every year. Of course then you'd have to violate all sorts of first amendment rights, but what the hell do we care??? :rolleyes:

Money is not speech..but you have some good ideas here. I am all for transparency on the donor end.

Personally I think a better way to reform the whole system is to require a mandatory campaign time frame of no more then 3 months before an election and strict limits on how much gets spent. That along with removing lobbyist's compensation and making it mandatory for an elected official to not take a position in area where that person lobbied for..for at least 5 years or so, would go a long way in cracking down on the corruption.
Money is not speech..

The supreme court disagrees. I'll side with them.

I am all for transparency on the donor end.

Okie doke.

removing lobbyist's compensation and making it mandatory for an elected official to not take a position in area where that person lobbied for..for at least 5 years or so, would go a long way in cracking down on the corruption.

Back when talking about Term Limits, I am for going a bit farther.

1. Two terms per office and a 24 year lifetime cap in elected office at all levels.
2. 20 year lifetime cap in government bureaucracy, with an exemption for military service.
3. A ban from any elected official being hired by any media company or as a lobbyist or consultant for any government contractor for 10 years after leaving office.

Lofty plans... (except for wind farms which have proven to be unreliable, expensive, difficult and costly to maintain, and a threat to avian wildlife)

No money to do it, though...

Taxing the rich won't get you there either...

You're not even close. First, everyone I pay makes a hell of a lot more than what is necessary to live on. Secondly, I do not think private businesses should have anything to do with providing employees healthcare. Why not milk? How about tires? Anything else? Health insurance, like all products and services, should be purchased in the marketplace, not forced on employers to provide. This was yet another debacle from President Nixon.

Is it moral to pay a man what he is freely willing to work for? Yes. Is it moral leave the decision to buy health insurance up to the customer that desires that product? Yes.

Right, then why did you move operations to India? I guarantee you that it was so you could pay somebody a heck of a lot less then an American worker would make. Therefore, you believe in paying somebody less then they deserve and you're also not providing a benefit to the country you live in. Why do people not try to figure out a way to keep the company domestically, rather then quickly saying it's too expensive and I give up? It's pretty much bullshit. Americans make better stuff and provide better service then some guy from India. Whatever happened to finding solutions that benefit the country and not the few? Instead you guys go around whining like a bunch of babies.

Healthcare is not at all like milk, tires or whatever. All people should have it and especially people who work for a living. People get sick, people get hurt and life isn't something you can predict. That's what makes it different.

You say it's moral to pay somebody what he is freely willing to work for. I'll say not always because sometimes the employee to be doesn't know what he is worth. Some guy in India doesn't know what an American worker equal to him would make. You chose to pay somebody less because you can in India. So do you want Americans to agree on the same wages as those people? That's what I'm asking.

Lofty plans... (except for wind farms which have proven to be unreliable, expensive, difficult and costly to maintain, and a threat to avian wildlife)

No one said tax the rich. But we could easily tax the corporations sitting on cash and use that to start up a windmill factory and sell the windmills to China. Once it's up and running, it could be sold to a private investor with the stipulation he can't close it and move it overseas.

Plus, with all the windmills being used in China, no American birds would be harmed. I'm sure you'd like that.

Don't forget being shown to cause seizures in people living within the range of it's shadow.

No one said tax the rich. But we could easily tax the corporations sitting on cash and use that to start up a windmill factory and sell the windmills to China. Once it's up and running, it could be sold to a private investor with the stipulation he can't close it and move it overseas.

Plus, with all the windmills being used in China, no American birds would be harmed. I'm sure you'd like that.

Jesus.. how old are you? 12?

Ahh... The liberal solution: Invest in failure!

Run with that....

Jesus.. how old are you? 12?

What about what I just posted couldn't happen? Or do you think the government currently, and never has, owned a corporation?

Ahh... The liberal solution: Invest in failure!

Run with that....
They did. What do you think Obama's all about?

I like the bird argument. :lol:

Billions of birds have been killed on power lines over the last century or so. Not a peep from conservatives.

Except for it's violation of the first amendment, the Incumbent Protection Act was an interesting theory.

Citizens United was probably the best thing possible for this nation. After all, why should unions and PACs have all the fun to buy candidates?

But this isn't about campaign finance reform. Nobody in politics wants it, particularly those profiting from the current corrupt system. If you really wanted to fix things and remain constitutional, you'd make all donations "hard" and require them to be openly registered to individuals given directly by a single person open for public scrutiny. No PACs, no organizations, no anonymous money of ANY kind.

Of course if you want to violate the first amendment, bar any and all private money from politics, force everyone to donate 10 dollars per year towards the campaign fund, and have it split equally between all candidates running every year. Of course then you'd have to violate all sorts of first amendment rights, but what the hell do we care??? :rolleyes:

Money is not speech..but you have some good ideas here. I am all for transparency on the donor end.

Personally I think a better way to reform the whole system is to require a mandatory campaign time frame of no more then 3 months before an election and strict limits on how much gets spent. That along with removing lobbyist's compensation and making it mandatory for an elected official to not take a position in area where that person lobbied for..for at least 5 years or so, would go a long way in cracking down on the corruption.

I am all for transparency on the donor end.

Okie doke.

removing lobbyist's compensation and making it mandatory for an elected official to not take a position in area where that person lobbied for..for at least 5 years or so, would go a long way in cracking down on the corruption.

1. Two terms per office and a 24 year lifetime cap in elected office at all levels.
2. 20 year lifetime cap in government bureaucracy, with an exemption for military service.
3. A ban from any elected official being hired by any media company or as a lobbyist or consultant for any government contractor for 10 years after leaving office.

What is it with you guys and term limits? And the SCOTUS has made some pretty bad decisions.

Billions of birds have been killed on power lines over the last century or so. Not a peep from conservatives.
By comparison... powerlines are far less dangerous.

Okie doke.

What is it with you guys and term limits? And the SCOTUS has made some pretty bad decisions.
Because it's the same as 'sell by' dates on food. After a certain point, the product becomes dangerous to the public.

Look for instance how long every single politician up on charges was in office. Out of the Keating 5 during the S and L scandal, every one of the senators had 3 terms in... save John McCain... who's a scumball as is.

They've been in office too long, and think they they are immune from the law, and since the public is easily fooled and creatures of habit, the law must be used to keep them safe, the same way you pull bad meat off the shelf. You may get lucky if you buy it after that date... but do you want to risk it?

So the other reasons for why they suck mean nothing?

Invest in Failure
Awesome bumper sticker you have there....

:lol:

So the other reasons for why they suck mean nothing?

Invest in Failure
Awesome bumper sticker you have there....

:lol:
But it doesn't have an "o" in it.

Yep.

Simple as that.

The United States needs to build.

We are a nation of innovators, dreamers, and builders.

Time to shake off the crust and do what we do best.

Build.

Agreed.

What I find interesting from all these posts is how many people think we can only build houses.

I wonder if they know there are other things to build.

Well, billions in Stimulus money went towards the intelligence community complex. Dozens of clandestine facilities, many of them redundant and responsible for overlapping areas of intelligence. The WaPo did a great feature on them called Top Secret America.

We should all be skeptical about the way DC manages its projects.

Because it's the same as 'sell by' dates on food. After a certain point, the product becomes dangerous to the public.

Look for instance how long every single politician up on charges was in office. Out of the Keating 5 during the S and L scandal, every one of the senators had 3 terms in... save John McCain... who's a scumball as is.

They've been in office too long, and think they they are immune from the law, and since the public is easily fooled and creatures of habit, the law must be used to keep them safe, the same way you pull bad meat off the shelf. You may get lucky if you buy it after that date... but do you want to risk it?

No it's not. People aren't food items. And McCain is a fine example of growth after doing something wrong. He went on to author McCain/Feingold.

And what "public"? Not many people even bother to vote. That should change. It should be mandatory to vote..like Jury Duty is mandatory.

Forum List

Back