Build.

Yep.

Simple as that.

The United States needs to build.

We are a nation of innovators, dreamers, and builders.

Time to shake off the crust and do what we do best.

Build.

Agreed.

What I find interesting from all these posts is how many people think we can only build houses.

I wonder if they know there are other things to build.

Yep.

Simple as that.

Build.
Great! Now... the logistics on HOW are the problem. You've got to do more than:

1. Decide to Build
2. Then a miracle occurs because we don't know how.
3. Profit!

What are the logistics to 'building'? What are you going to build? What is of such a benefit that it will cause people to risk their time, skill and capital in this nation to build?

People don't build for altruism, so they must profit by their work. How are you going to reassure them that their work will not be for naught, stolen away from them by the greedy entitlement junkies and government to misuse?

The fact is, if my dumbass Uncle can open a widely successful Pizza shop despite all of these woe is me hard regulations, ANYone can do it. It's a matter of your resolve, to do so. Everything else is just an excuse.

If there are any businesses succeeding in this Country, then all businesses can succeed in this Country, you're just not working hard enough, or just not smart enough.

The fact is, if my dumbass Uncle can open a widely successful Pizza shop despite all of these woe is me hard regulations, ANYone can do it. It's a matter of your resolve, to do so. Everything else is just an excuse.

If there are any businesses succeeding in this Country, then all businesses can succeed in this Country, you're just not working hard enough, or just not smart enough.

Okaaaaaay...not too bright are ya? There is no, read ZERO, overseas competition to local pizza parlors. You can't exactly deliver from China within thirty minutes...

Or maybe you're joking? Nobody could be this dumb.

What?? Do you know anyone in the construction business?? How do you suppose we work harder or smarter to generate income that isn't there??

Since you're so smart, why don't you go find some jobs for me in the Southeast US, I can use all the help I can get, however I don't have any $ to pay you.

Great! Now... the logistics on HOW are the problem.

Ah yes. Because Sallow didn't put forth a 10-year business plan, then his whole premise is faulty, right?

If China had demand for something we make, there would be businesses figuring out how to make it and make a profit on it.

Oh wait, there is something China wants that we make! Yet, there is no push to make it and in fact when the president appointed someone to work on it, you guys attacked him as a Communist.

Hmm.

Okaaaaaay...not too bright are ya? There is no, read ZERO, overseas competition to local pizza parlors. You can't exactly deliver from China within thirty minutes...

Or maybe you're joking? Nobody could be this dumb.

Maybe YOU'RE this dumb, but the Food industry is not the only businesses striving in our Country. No, nobody could be that dumb to think so.

What?? Do you know anyone in the construction business?? How do you suppose we work harder or smarter to generate income that isn't there??

Since you're so smart, why don't you go find some jobs for me in the Southeast US, I can use all the help I can get, however I don't have any $ to pay you.

Yea, the guy working in the other room, right now, as a matter of fact. Want his website?

Are you saying the Southeast US is all dried up? Nothing is open? There's no commerce?

Interesting. My customers are large corporations. I too shared our intention to build in India with these partners. Not a problem. But I get your point. If the bottom line was negatively effected by an overseas operation, this would considered in the cost analysis by any reasonable manager. Yet, we keep building overseas. It would appear the the negative feedback is outweighed by the onerous costs, taxes and regulations in the US.

See a pattern here?

Oh, and grow up.

This is the thing about "wealth" extractors. They think very short term..as in "What's in it for me". They do so regardless of the long term consequences.

Think about it.

You are giving work to people who are highly educated and are working for pennies on the dollar.

What do you think is going to happen in the short term and in the long term?

Short term I can see:
-Resentment over higher paid counter parts overseas.
-Malfeasance or corruption in the work place.
-Overall poor performance.

Note: I've really seen these things in real life.

Long term I see:
-American counterparts opting to go into other lines of work.
-An overall "Brain Drain".

Note: And I am seeing this occur as we speak.

If you think it's a good thing to relocate overseas for some short term profit..so be it.

But in the long run..it's going to bite hard.

Oh and you first.

Yep.

Simple as that.

Build.

1. Decide to Build
3. Profit!

What are the logistics to 'building'? What are you going to build? What is of such a benefit that it will cause people to risk their time, skill and capital in this nation to build?

People don't build for altruism, so they must profit by their work. How are you going to reassure them that their work will not be for naught, stolen away from them by the greedy entitlement junkies and government to misuse?

Pretty short term thinking.

Sorta like Christie with the tunnel project.

Of course he was right..New Jersey doesn't have a kabillion dollars..

But over the long term..people will move to Jersey in droves because they want to work in NYC but can't afford to live there.

Great! Now... the logistics on HOW are the problem.

Ah yes. Because Sallow didn't put forth a 10-year business plan, then his whole premise is faulty, right?

If China had demand for something we make, there would be businesses figuring out how to make it and make a profit on it.

Oh wait, there is something China wants that we make! Yet, there is no push to make it and in fact when the president appointed someone to work on it, you guys attacked him as a Communist.

Hmm.
What business plan, where? I saw nothing of the sort. was there a link I missed? I was answering the facile OP. Are you saying that just declaring "We should build" is good enough? Good luck getting anywhere with that pollyanna pie eyed prattling when it comes time to actually DO something about it.

Last edited:

Yea, the guy working in the other room, right now, as a matter of fact. Want his website?

Are you saying the Southeast US is all dried up? Nothing is open? There's no commerce?

Sure, give me his website address.

I have 30 employees that are working about 20 hours a week right now. Heck, I guess I could lay off 15 of them and let the other 15 work 40, isn't that how liberals see things??

I could lay off all 30 and start a pizza business, yea, that's a great idea. :)

I have 30 employees that are working about 20 hours a week right now. Heck, I guess I could lay off 15 of them and let the other 15 work 40, isn't that how liberals see things??

Are your prices too high?
Do you need to offer more products?
Does your advertising blow,?
How's your reputation, via word of mouth?
Do you need to expand your operating area?

How hard are you REALLY trying?

Altamura & Associates General Contractor, LLC

Interesting. My customers are large corporations. I too shared our intention to build in India with these partners. Not a problem. But I get your point. If the bottom line was negatively effected by an overseas operation, this would considered in the cost analysis by any reasonable manager. Yet, we keep building overseas. It would appear the the negative feedback is outweighed by the onerous costs, taxes and regulations in the US.

See a pattern here?

Oh, and grow up.

This is the thing about "wealth" extractors. They think very short term..as in "What's in it for me". They do so regardless of the long term consequences.

Think about it.

You are giving work to people who are highly educated and are working for pennies on the dollar.

What do you think is going to happen in the short term and in the long term?

Short term I can see:
-Resentment over higher paid counter parts overseas.
-Malfeasance or corruption in the work place.
-Overall poor performance.

Note: I've really seen these things in real life.

Long term I see:
-American counterparts opting to go into other lines of work.
-An overall "Brain Drain".

Note: And I am seeing this occur as we speak.

If you think it's a good thing to relocate overseas for some short term profit..so be it.

But in the long run..it's going to bite hard.

Oh and you first.

First, it's not "pennies on the dollar" to them...it's not even dollars, it's rupees, and a damn good living. Secondly, I have done this before and have seen none of your short term consequences. Not a one. Lastly, if "brain drain" is a reality long term, well that would be yet another reason to lower corporate taxes and onerous regulations, wouldn't it? Remember I really wanted to build in the US but that is not financially feasible. If the cost analysis were even close, I'd take the chance and build here. As it stands, it's nowhere in the ballpark. Perhaps we can change that at the ballot box in 2012. We'll see. I would happily locate the next business here if it makes any financial sense to do so.

Ummm, they aren't in the Southeast. We are a specialty contractor, I don't think you've helped us at all. But hey, I can still open a pizza shop. :)

And yet you brought up an example that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Want to try again?

I could lay off all 30 and start a pizza business, yea, that's a great idea. :)
I could go into the window breaking business At least I know those pizza parlors have insurance to cover the loss, and then the glass companies have something to do!

What a great opportunity! :rolleyes:

I'm with you Nature. To libs, the devil is in the logistical details of doing the job. Like two old fools sitting on the porch playing checkers.

Ole fool 1: "You know, this country would be much better off if just built more."
Ole fool 2: "Yep. I think you're on to something there."
SFX: Crickets chirping
Ole Fools continue playing checkers for another hour.
Ole fool 1: "Well why hasn't anything changed yet? I said we should build more?"
Ole fool 2: "I blame Bush, the tea party and rich white folk."
Ole fool 1: "Yep. that must be the reason."

Fin

Yep.

Simple as that.

Build.

1. Decide to Build
3. Profit!

Pretty short term thinking.

Sorta like Christie with the tunnel project.

Of course he was right..New Jersey doesn't have a kabillion dollars..

But over the long term..people will move to Jersey in droves because they want to work in NYC but can't afford to live there.
Heh, some sour grapes it sounds like.

How about Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere"? A half a billion dollar suspension bridge that less than 1000 people would use in a month .... or was it a year?

He who decides to build first counts the cost... as WELL as the return.

And right now, hate to break it to you, this nation is a bad investment all the way around. Maybe after Obama's removed from office and the senate goes conservative. We'll see then.

Building boondoggles like that help nobody longterm, and special interests short term. If you want to build, this is what we should build.

Nuclear Power Plants
Hydro-electric Dams
Clean Coal plants
ANWR drilling and pipeline
Fracking plants in ND, MT, CO, SD, WY, TX, PA and elsewhere.
Offshore oil rigs.

Those are investments that will aid short AND long term.

Last edited:

Ummm, they aren't in the Southeast. We are a specialty contractor, I don't think you've helped us at all. But hey, I can still open a pizza shop. :)

I wasn't trying to help you, you asked if I knew anyone in the Construction business and I knew that you were being facetious and so was I.

The fact of the matter is, if someone's sink breaks they need a plumber. Demand should always be there in the Construction business, even if nobody's building. In order to make it in the business, you need a good reputation, very fair prices and a strong advertising campaign. The demand is there. Someone's got a glob of money in their retirement account and they've been meaning to build a deck, they just haven't seen your enticing ad yet.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back