Bribing small to get into college is illegal. Bribing BIG to get into college -- that's OKAY!

With the old system, the legacies and the library building people, there was no fraud. It was out in the open, and again I doubt those few that go that route impact the general admissions.
Like I said, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't care if it is 'out in the open', 'giving a school a building' to get your kid into a college is still a bribe, just as if you walked up and gave the dean of the college a wad of cash. You think that was / is ok. I don't.

Agree to disagree then. But when government is not involved this happens all the time. Vendors take their customers out to ball games, take them to conferences, and things like that all the time. It's only a crime when government is involved.

You don't have legacy things at places like Penn State due to this.

With the old system, the legacies and the library building people, there was no fraud. It was out in the open, and again I doubt those few that go that route impact the general admissions.
Like I said, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't care if it is 'out in the open', 'giving a school a building' to get your kid into a college is still a bribe, just as if you walked up and gave the dean of the college a wad of cash. You think that was / is ok. I don't.

Agree to disagree then. But when government is not involved this happens all the time. Vendors take their customers out to ball games, take them to conferences, and things like that all the time. It's only a crime when government is involved.

This does happen all the time...and it is illegal. I would wager things like this DOES happen at colleges like Penn State. It just isn't caught. Most instances do not rise to the level of this, so huge in scale that it catches the attention of the FBI. In this case they are talking about how the 'fixer' here may have had up to 800 clients... Criminal activity on THAT scale draws attention whereas a couple here or there does not.

They are only going after the small fries here, the people who make $500,000 bribes to get their kids into college.

If you bribe BIG -- say enough money to add a wing to a building, well, that's still perfectly legal.
You DO know that offering money for a wing of a building is legal, right? Just like businesses requiring their employees to be bilingual is legal.

You DO know that offering money for a wing of a building is legal, right? Just like businesses requiring their employees to be bilingual is legal.
'Quid Pro Quo' - specifically offering to buy / 'donate' the wing of a building - in return for letting a child into college is legal?

Don't think so, specifically because such a 'quid pro quo' would have to be proven. Doing so still qualifies as 'bribery', 'legal' or not.

This does happen all the time...and it is illegal. I would wager things like this DOES happen at colleges like Penn State. It just isn't caught. Most instances do not rise to the level of this, so huge in scale that it catches the attention of the FBI. In this case they are talking about how the 'fixer' here may have had up to 800 clients... Criminal activity on THAT scale draws attention whereas a couple here or there does not.

Business on Business "nicey nice" isn't illegal per se, as long as no government contracts or officials are involved.

The other qualifier is it can't involve international trade, then other rules come into play, usually because of how systemic corruption is in other countries.

They are only going after the small fries here, the people who make $500,000 bribes to get their kids into college.

If you bribe BIG -- say enough money to add a wing to a building, well, that's still perfectly legal.

A yo ko pec pec ng baho. I don't like stinky pussy.

If wealthy liberal elites want to buy their way in and bypass the process, let them. They and their Big Education co-conspirators are just exposing themselves.

If wealthy liberal elites want to buy their way in and bypass the process, let them. They and their Big Education co-conspirators are just exposing themselves.
They ain't the liberals by and large. But Felicity Huffman is sort of ironic in that William Macy has gotten rich on the Frank Gallagher role where plays a drunk drug addict who scrapes by "cheating the system" while his undereducated and undersupported children scrape by

Children of these people are privileged and spoiled. You wonder if many are malingerers and this is a way to give them a better reputation. Some degrees may not even be worth it also.

Forum List

Back