Breast-Feeding: Private Act or Public Right?

LOL. Ok, even I am willing to admit that this thread jumped the shark long ago. :cool:

Oh, I got over the people who stare years ago. Ones I have problems with are the ones that think they can force me to change.

That phrase, right there, speaks absolute deafening volumes about *why* you choose to breast feed in public, and it certainly isn't concern for your child. Gem referenced something akin to political grandstanding. She hit the nail on the head, and you are the type of person she's describing.

You are the person who will purposely sit dead in the middle of the food court at a mall, during the busiest part of the day, without the cover of a blanket, and will scream bloody murder if anyone dares give you even a second look because you're showing three times more than what's necessary to feed your child.

That phrase, right there, speaks absolute deafening volumes about *why* you choose to breast feed in public, and it certainly isn't concern for your child. Gem referenced something akin to political grandstanding. She hit the nail on the head, and you are the type of person she's describing.

You are the person who will purposely sit dead in the middle of the food court at a mall, during the busiest part of the day, without the cover of a blanket, and will scream bloody murder if anyone dares give you even a second look because you're showing three times more than what's necessary to feed your child.

Assuming your assumption true, what does that have to do with the nexus of the thread? Let's assume, after all these posts that most nursing mothers are trying to do so discreetly, just not forced into johns.

Assuming your assumption true, what does that have to do with the nexus of the thread? Let's assume, after all these posts that most nursing mothers are trying to do so discreetly, just not forced into johns.

I don't agree they need to be forced into actual bathrooms.. If there are places specifically for breast feeding that are quiet and out of the way, (such as the ones we have here, complete with couches, rockers, and anything else you need) why not use them?

If, some place (like Disneyland?) doesn't have them, and the only other alternative IS to feed your child on a park bench, and you're doing so discreetly, odds are pretty good you're not going to be bothered. If by some chance you ARE bothered, I'm also willing to bet the hounds of hell will come down on the person bothering you just by the people within earshot.

Most nursing mothers I've seen ARE discreet - either covered by a blanket, wearing a larger "over" shirt, or just surrounded BY the people she's with.. There are a few that are pretty out there, however, and THOSE are the ones that wonder why they're being harrassed. Angel is obviously (by her posts) one of them.

You don't know that for a fact and I can tell you that you got it totally wrong. I choose to nurse my children not on making a statement but on the fact that they needed to be fed. I nursed on demand. That means when my child wanted to nurse, they nursed.

As far as your idea for ideal public nursing...

Keeping a child over a few months old under a blanket or even a baggy shirt isn't always possible. Children are curious. They want to look around. Even while they eat. Anyone that knows early childhood development would know that. The ideas you have are ideal for only babies under the first few months. What about after that?

Oh, I got over the people who stare years ago. Ones I have problems with are the ones that think they can force me to change.

And the ones who prefer that you made a serious attempt at being discrete probably don't appreciate you trying to force them to change either. You know full well there are breastfeeding mothers out there who flaunt it and are just DARING someone to say something.

You don't know that for a fact and I can tell you that you got it totally wrong. I choose to nurse my children not on making a statement but on the fact that they needed to be fed. I nursed on demand. That means when my child wanted to nurse, they nursed.

As far as your idea for ideal public nursing...

Keeping a child over a few months old under a blanket or even a baggy shirt isn't always possible. Children are curious. They want to look around. Even while they eat. Anyone that knows early childhood development would know that. The ideas you have are ideal for only babies under the first few months. What about after that?

What I noticed is that you spent more time gloating about a fired security guard, and "proving your point", and chanting that you're the reason a law was changed, than debating the thread and/or stated that you make every effort to pratice decency. Your attitude is that of the type of person that *would* be harrassed, because tho you only need to show about an A cups worth, you're showing the whole bloody DD cups worth.

Actually, women can walk around with the majority of their breasts showing, the only exception is the nipple. Since many nipples are the same size as a mans, I fail to see the big friggin deal about an inch and a half of skin showing.

Obviously there are some people out there who fail to see that both men and women have the same stuff up top, or even that some men have bigger chests than many women's breasts, but hey, I guess its all about whether or not you have a penis in this world. Equal rights mean nothing still, OBVIOUSLY.

:eusa_wall:

Ok I've read what everyone here has to say. Now heres my view on the matter. I am a nursing mother, and its not always possible to cover up. I've tried many times, only to have my 7 month old daughter start screaming and pull her blanket away. It's not always possible to go to a private area, and I will not go into a bathroom to nurse. I take the bus alot, and sometimes have to nurse my daughter while setting there and waiting. I wont make her go with out because someone has the nurve to come up to me and tell me I'm a fucken whore for showing my boob while I was in the process of feeding my baby. Who at the time was cranky from getting her shots and just plain out hungry. Not every baby eats at the same time every day, mine doesn't. so what am I supposed to not leave my house because someones going to be offended by me nursing my daughter. I don't think so. I have a 3 year old who spends alot of time at the doctors and I usually take the bus to these appointments. He only has me to take him, so what am I supposed to cancle all of the appointments because I may have to set out in PUBLIC and nurse. No, because that wouldn't be fair to my sons development, now would it? I cant affored a breast pump so bottle feeding hers no an option. even if it was, she wont take a bottle as it is.

Actually, women can walk around with the majority of their breasts showing, the only exception is the nipple. Since many nipples are the same size as a mans, I fail to see the big friggin deal about an inch and a half of skin showing.

Obviously there are some people out there who fail to see that both men and women have the same stuff up top, or even that some men have bigger chests than many women's breasts, but hey, I guess its all about whether or not you have a penis in this world. Equal rights mean nothing still, OBVIOUSLY.

:eusa_wall:

I fully agree with you on that. I know plenty of men whos chest is bigger the mine. But, I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

I can't believe that there is actually a vigorous debate about this. They are nipples. We all have them. If nature demands that we forgoe a little tight-ass modesty in order to make it easier for mothers to feed their children, well then I think we should be able to manage it. Haven't any of you ever taken your children to an art museum?

This issue is much like the smoking bans in bars in my opinion. It's not about morality or modesty. It's about the rights of the owner of a business to make a decision regarding his own business which will influence, positively or negatively, his business. If they want to allow or ban smoking or lactivists or loud kids then they should have the right to refuse service and deal with the fallout.

so what am I supposed to not leave my house because someones going to be offended by me nursing my daughter. I don't think so. I have a 3 year old who spends alot of time at the doctors and I usually take the bus to these appointments. He only has me to take him, so what am I supposed to cancle all of the appointments because I may have to set out in PUBLIC and nurse. No, because that wouldn't be fair to my sons development, now would it? I cant affored a breast pump so bottle feeding hers no an option. even if it was, she wont take a bottle as it is

Woman, nurse away!!! You have EQUAL rights to ANY man. If a man can get on the bus and have his tank top flip open to reveal his big ol man boobies, then a woman can friggin breast feed, lol...

This is an equal rights issue. We are NOT the sexual gatekeepers for men. We are not responsible for keeping their penises in their pants. They can just learn to have some self control!!! =)

PS Dont let they hype get to you.. its just that womens rights havent come as far as many of us think. There are a LOT of double standards.. this is just the tip of the iceberg.. Remember.. Men that get a lot of action are still considered "studs", and women who get a lot of action are still considered "sluts". Gay people are still called "fags", and black people are still sometimes called "*******". We have a lot of enlightening that needs to be done in this country.. Dont fret.. its just a matter of time and TALK. Keep posting!!!

Oh for GODS SAKE, will you get over it? Do you think that babies just lose the use of their hands and feet when feeding time arrives? Often times, blankets are useless, because the babies/ or toddlers are big enough to just lift the shirt, and latch on all by themselves.
Anyways, its JUST A BOOB!!! Whats your problem??? Many men have bigger boobs than many women!! Its a NIPPLE!! You have them TOO!! Look in the mirror and see for yourself, Im not kidding, you really do have all the same stuff we have, and the older you get the saggier yours will get, the same way ours get saggy.
Grow up!!!

Woman, nurse away!!! You have EQUAL rights to ANY man. If a man can get on the bus and have his tank top flip open to reveal his big ol man boobies, then a woman can friggin breast feed, lol...

This is an equal rights issue. We are NOT the sexual gatekeepers for men. We are not responsible for keeping their penises in their pants. They can just learn to have some self control!!! =)

PS Dont let they hype get to you.. its just that womens rights havent come as far as many of us think. There are a LOT of double standards.. this is just the tip of the iceberg.. Remember.. Men that get a lot of action are still considered "studs", and women who get a lot of action are still considered "sluts". Gay people are still called "fags", and black people are still sometimes called "*******". We have a lot of enlightening that needs to be done in this country.. Dont fret.. its just a matter of time and TALK. Keep posting!!!

Take off your leash, woman. No one is holding it except you.

I could have sworn the whole "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" bit applied to men as well as women.

Oh for GODS SAKE, will you get over it? Do you think that babies just lose the use of their hands and feet when feeding time arrives? Often times, blankets are useless, because the babies/ or toddlers are big enough to just lift the shirt, and latch on all by themselves.
Anyways, its JUST A BOOB!!! Whats your problem??? Many men have bigger boobs than many women!! Its a NIPPLE!! You have them TOO!! Look in the mirror and see for yourself, Im not kidding, you really do have all the same stuff we have, and the older you get the saggier yours will get, the same way ours get saggy.
Grow up!!!

Please just walk around naked and quit whining. Show them evil men that you are liberated.

Some of the La Leche leaguers seem to have gone into overtime. If you have a 'toddler' that is nursing, sorry ladies, they cannot be 'hidden' by blankets and in our society it's over the top. Give them juice to go with their lunch, save the nursing at home. That's a very different scenario than with a baby 15 months or younger, who may have breast milk as the mainstay of diet.

A 15-4 year old had dang well better be getting more nutrients than by 'milk' and should be able to handle a Tommy Tippee cup.

I nursed all my kids to over a year, with no supplemental foods. At that age though, supplements, meaning 'real food' becomes necessary. It 'downplays' the necessity of nursing.

Some of the La Leche leaguers seem to have gone into overtime. If you have a 'toddler' that is nursing, sorry ladies, they cannot be 'hidden' by blankets and in our society it's over the top. Give them juice to go with their lunch, save the nursing at home. That's a very different scenario than with a baby 15 months or younger, who may have breast milk as the mainstay of diet.

A 15-4 year old had dang well better be getting more nutrients than by 'milk' and should be able to handle a Tommy Tippee cup.

I nursed all my kids to over a year, with no supplemental foods. At that age though, supplements, meaning 'real food' becomes necessary. It 'downplays' the necessity of nursing.

Breastfeeding is still the healthiest choice even after 15 months. There are many studies showing that the older children have less colds, flu's, ear infections etc. Then there's the non nutrition benefits. The bond that continues.

Thankfully as a whole our society isn't as close minded as so many of you are. Europe is even more relaxed about it. There public nursing isn't an issue. It's an American thing to look down your noses at our mothers.

I'll also bring up that it's up to the parent to parent their child. Not yours.

Reminds me of the old biddy that poked her nose into my business with my teenager while getting him on a flight to grandmas a few weeks ago. I refused to let him go beyond the security with out me. As I was being turned around at the check point for not having the right form, an old lady asked me how old he was. She stated "oh he's old enough to go by himself". I asked her how she's a judge of what's best for my child. Then turned to my son and asked him "do you feel OK going by yourself?". He stated that he's not. We turned and walked away to go get the forms we needed. Thankfully making it to the gate just in time to get him on the plane.

It's my job to raise my kids, no one else. Even if it's out in public.

Forum List

Back