Breast-Feeding: Private Act or Public Right?

Incidently, you used the term "cater to their needs" - I used the term "cater to their demands".. There's a major difference.. Their needs are being met by including specific areas allotted for just breastfeeding. Their demands are nothing more than an insistance that they be able to do it where and when they want, no matter what.

No the whole rocking chair stuff is nice but its not neccessary at all. The nice pretty images are nice for TV, real life however dosent bare much resemblance. My son could eat and sleep through ANYTHING. Babies are soothed as long as the mother isnt stressed, the act of breast feeding and the mothers heart rate (which babies become accustomed to during the pregnancy) are extremely soothing.

So again, it makes more sense for people not to try and stress a mother via guilt and shame when she has to feed her child.

BTW, a mall or restaurant etc are not CHAOS, there is just more noise and babies arent that freaked out by noise unless its somthing they are not used to and even those that arent used to it will place their hunger as a higher priority. Do you think even most homes are so quiet? You dont think ringing phones, other siblings , noise from outside etc are also present when at home?

I would vacume around my kids while they where sleeping so as not to have them senstive to noise. I now have kids that can sleep through just about anything.

If you don't want to be harrassed, don't put yourself or your child in a situation where you know that *somebody* is going to harrass you. There are specific rooms set aside in almost ALL public places for you to feed your child - what's your gripe against using them?

Well it's a good thing I live in Oregon where a) the law protects me and my choices of where to feed my children and b) people are not as up tight about it.

I take great joy in seeing a nursing mother out in public not feeling shamed by someone else's hang ups. People don't bug the moms anymore. I take pride in knowing that I made it possible for their to feed their child in peace (even if it's in public).

Well it's a good thing I live in Oregon where a) the law protects me and my choices of where to feed my children and b) people are not as up tight about it.

I take great joy in seeing a nursing mother out in public not feeling shamed by someone else's hang ups. People don't bug the moms anymore. I take pride in knowing that I made it possible for their to feed their child in peace (even if it's in public).

So your entire hangup about not using the areas specifically built for such things is nothing more than petty spite, and an "I can do what I want - fuck you if you don't like it!" attitude?

Way to go, MOM! Yeah!

If my assumption is incorrect, then tell me exactly WHY you'd rather whip your chest out in public, rather than in peace and quiet?

So your entire hangup about not using the areas specifically built for such things is nothing more than petty spite, and an "I can do what I want - fuck you if you don't like it!" attitude?

Way to go, MOM! Yeah!

If my assumption is incorrect, then tell me exactly WHY you'd rather whip your chest out in public, rather than in peace and quiet?

Oh so I should plan out where I go based on if they have a room for it or not? Not all places have nursing rooms. How about the zoo. Should I have to track all the way back to the entrance? How about at Disneyland? They don't have nursing rooms all over the place.

Best peace for a child is getting fed when they ask for it. Not when mama can find a room so as not to piss off some prude.

Oh so I should plan out where I go based on if they have a room for it or not? Not all places have nursing rooms. How about the zoo. Should I have to track all the way back to the entrance? How about at Disneyland? They don't have nursing rooms all over the place.

Best peace for a child is getting fed when they ask for it. Not when mama can find a room so as not to piss off some prude.

I already made it perfectly clear you're not pissing ME off, personally..

However, you have no right to expect society to react the same as I do.. If you're going to whip it out in public, don't bother getting all pissy and offended when you get harrassed for it.

While you're at it, you plan family vacations based around hotels and other events having provisions for your OTHER children, yes? Why would a nursing child not be entitled to the same consideration? Or, is it because they're too young to protest, and you think they *LIKE* having the entire world circling around them while they eat?

:rofl: In Oregon they don't respond. They can't. It's protected. Same in California.

The only time I had an issue was that one security guard. He lost his job over it.

:rofl: In Oregon they don't respond. They can't. It's protected. Same in California.

The only time I had an issue was that one security guard. He lost his job over it.

Then for the love of the rest of society who doesn't WANT to see your chest in all it's glory, and who actually SHOW some consideration for those around by using the areas specifically provided for such things, OR doing so in a discreet manner, don't ever move.

Thought it wasn't an issue. You sure seem defensive for it being a non issue for you.

You will not be getting me to change my point of view. I lost count of how many times I've nursed in public. I've had 5 kids. I nursed them all. The shortest for 14 months, the longest 3 years 3 months. If I have another, I might go beyond 4 years old. It will be up to the child, not me.

I personally feel offended by seeing a bottle feed child. I think it's robbing the child. I think that people who choose not to nurse for reasons other than medical are selfish.

I'm not even go into how I feel about formula companies.

in my travels around the world, I have witnessed many many mothers breast feeding their children...and not once would I have characterized their actions as displaying their chest "in all its glory". In every instance, it was discreet and unobtrusive.

I already made it perfectly clear you're not pissing ME off, personally..

However, you have no right to expect society to react the same as I do.. If you're going to whip it out in public, don't bother getting all pissy and offended when you get harrassed for it.

Thats a strange stance, you seem to actually think its justified to harrass a nursing mother and would blame her for it? Shall we also blame women for being harrassed because they dressed too sexy or looked to pretty so they should "expect" it? Are people with jewelry or a nice car "expecting" to get mugged so they should also just suck it up too?

I understand someone may not like it and they certainly dont have to, but its taking it too far when they actively harrass a woman for it.

There just arent rooms all over to breast-feed and moms have to do the best they can and while I am sure its not up to your standards and you will defend people who harrass her for it cause she should "expect" I remain glad in the fact that I dont think there that many people out there that would do such a thing.

in my travels around the world, I have witnessed many many mothers breast feeding their children...and not once would I have characterized their actions as displaying their chest "in all its glory". In every instance, it was discreet and unobtrusive.

Indeed correct MM it just seems now days we need to see this and we are expected to except it. Even in Europe where nudity is the norm even on regular TV they know how to have some diginity when breast feeding. I see this whole deal as a bunch of childish women wanting attention.
If I were on a plane or other public transportation and a women started this open breast nursing I'd tell her to put it away and I'd make a stink about it because really it is rude and dis-respectful. I would never say anything if a women was descreet and was respectful about the affair of feed her child.

Indeed correct MM it just seems now days we need to see this and we are expected to except it. Even in Europe where nudity is the norm even on regular TV they know how to have some diginity when breast feeding. I see this whole deal as a bunch of childish women wanting attention.
If I were on a plane or other public transportation and a women started this open breast nursing I'd tell her to put it away and I'd make a stink about it because really it is rude and dis-respectful. I would never say anything if a women was descreet and was respectful about the affair of feed her child.

You'd rather not see a breast vs having a child screaming in pain. Best way to solve a babies ear presser is to nurse. The flight attendants actually encourage it. So, because you have a hang up, a baby must suffer?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15755898/

Breast-feeding mothers stage nurse-in
Angry moms protest treatment of passenger kicked off for feeding baby

Updated: 4:03 p.m. PT Nov 16, 2006
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - About 30 parents and their children sat in front of an airline counter Wednesday to protest the treatment of a passenger who said she was kicked off a plane for breast-feeding her child.

Mothers breast-fed their children and held up signs during the "nurse-in."

"I just think it's unbelievable that it happened in 2006, especially in Vermont" said Lora McAllister, a Swanton mother. "It's kind of mind boggling."

Emily Gillette of Santa Fe, N.M., had complained that she was kicked off an airplane because she was nursing her baby.

A complaint against two airlines was filed with the Vermont Human Rights, although Executive Director Robert Appel said he was barred by state law from confirming the complaint. He did say state law allows a mother to breast-feed in public.

Elizabeth Boepple, a lawyer hired by Gillette, 27, confirmed that Gillette filed the complaint late last week against Delta Air Lines and Freedom Airlines. Freedom was operating the Delta commuter flight between Burlington and New York City.

A Freedom spokesman said Gillette was asked to leave the flight after she declined a flight attendant's offer of a blanket.

"I was horrified that a mother could be humiliated like that," said Caroline Beer, 34, of Burlington.

You'd rather not see a breast vs having a child screaming in pain. Best way to solve a babies ear presser is to nurse. The flight attendants actually encourage it. So, because you have a hang up, a baby must suffer?

exactly. It is not like infants have some sort of set routine. Their appetite is not on a clock and when they get hungry, they have only one way of letting mom know that they are hungry. Good moms who are breast feeding will feed their hungry child and those around her should be thankful that she has stopped the wallering and for crissakes, there is no need to stare. Mom doesn't want to "show you her tits", she just wants to feed her hungry child the only food the child knows.

exactly. It is not like infants have some sort of set routine. Their appetite is not on a clock and when they get hungry, they have only one way of letting mom know that they are hungry. Good moms who are breast feeding will feed their hungry child and those around her should be thankful that she has stopped the wallering and for crissakes, there is no need to stare. Mom doesn't want to "show you her tits", she just wants to feed her hungry child the only food the child knows.

Too many act like it's about the mother. It's about the child and what the child needs.

Those being the key words - discreet and unobtrusive. I have yet to see a single person complain about a mother thats semi-covered.

Too many act like it's about the mother. It's about the child and what the child needs.

imagine how outraged some of these sanctimonious prudes would be if they were on a bus with a mom and a bottle-fed infant, the infant started screaming for his bottle, which mom had two of in the accessory bag on the seat next to her, and she callously refused to give one of them to her child and allowed the child to continue the piercing screams that were annoying the entire bus.

Forum List

Back